In search of brown bears

PG123

Out of Juneau this month I did a fly in 1 day trip to Admiralty Island booked through the cruise line-expensive but so worth it. Check to see if your cruise line offers it or google Pack Creek brown bears.

You can also do a 1 day fly in to Katmai National Park to see the bears at Brooks Falls-view them first on explore.org. July is good for viewing at the Falls and Sept for feeding on the dying salmon in the river.

I never recommend the day trips to Katami - over nights are way superior, for amount of viewing.

I spent two nights at Katmai mid July a few years ago. It was one of the most incredible experiences ever. At Brooks Falls, I counted 26 bears! And those were only the ones I could see! I highly recommend spending at least one night. It was fascinating being able to observe the bears with few people around.

We have booked bear viewing trips twice in the last few years. The first was a day trip out of Anchorage to Redoubt Bay Lodge with Rust's Flying Service. It was a fantastic experience, but we did not see a bear. We did see other wildlife and spectacular scenery.

Last August, we were fortunate enough to spend 5 nights at the Alaska Homestead Lodge in Lake Clark National Park (flying out of Anchorage again). Silver Salmon Creek Lodge also hosts bear viewing groups. Both of these lodges host day visitors or overnight stays. We saw bears 4 of 5 days, and it was an incredible experience:

SSCDay1-40-L.jpg

SSCDay1-38-L.jpg

SSCreekDay2Part2-21-L.jpg

SSCreekDay2Part2-23-L.jpg

SSCreekDay2Part1-10-L.jpg