Service Charge - mini bar!

cole

I have no problem paying a service charge when ordering a drink from one of the bars, but seriously - when you get something from the mini-bar? Just seems strange that you serve yourself and they charge you a service charge. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

Cole

I have no problem paying a service charge when ordering a drink from one of the bars, but seriously - when you get something from the mini-bar? Just seems strange that you serve yourself and they charge you a service charge. Just a thought.:rolleyes:

There is no "service charge" when using the mini-bar, but there is a "restocking fee" of same amount. :D

Never, ever on any cruise have I even considered using anything from the mini bar... Way overpriced.

When I looked at the prices on the Gem they were the same as you'd pay at a bar- a shot of rum was $5.95 (of course you'd also have to pay the price of the soda too unless you brought your own onboard).

It is my understanding that the tip goes to the steward for restocking the minibar.

Cole

The thing from the bar gets a gratuity and has nothing to do with the Service Charge. It does seem kinda wonky but it is what it is.

When I looked at the prices on the Gem they were the same as you'd pay at a bar- a shot of rum was $5.95 (of course you'd also have to pay the price of the soda too unless you brought your own onboard).
It's actually a little bit cheaper, since the bar shots are 1.5 oz (44ml) and the minatures in the minibar are 50ml :p

Is the mini-bar the fridge for the room? Can you ask them to empty it before you arrive?

I always just ask the steward to lock the mini-fridge unless we have plans to actually use it (which we haven't yet), but they will empty it upon request.