Alaska May 5 to 15

biojeep

I am looking at the NCL Pearl 10 day Alaska cruise from Vancouver to Seattle in 2016. My concern is that this is very early in the season but I like the itinerary. Would like people who have travelled this early in the season to weigh in on the pro's & cons. I know the weather is unpredictable from a past Alaska cruise but is this too early? Would hate not to see Glacier Bay again.

You are aware of it being early. So, being well prepared in your attire will make a big difference. A few tours won't be available, but most will be. Yes I have cruised in this time frame. I do like mid May or later better. :)

No way to predict any weather. This cruise can be a good deal for the extra time, also have seen some great later booking price dumps, since they tend to start out higher. :)

I am with BQ on this one, dress for a cooler and perhaps damper time of the year and I am sure that you will have a great time. Pretty much everything will be open and excursions available although depending on what you may be doing, you may be contending with muddier conditions.

We cruised mid May. Ship was not full, ports not crowded and because it's early, all the workers are so excited to be on their Alaskan adventure so I think service is friendlier. Only negative for us was that Road not fully open in Denali. But our weather was perfect.

Early May will be cooler but one never knows precisely what the weather will be like.

We've cruised Alaska many times as others on this board have but the most special time we ever had was April and we were the first ship by around three weeks. We had one of those once a season days in Glacier Bay which was pictures perfect and coincidentally we were there the prior August and had terrible weather and it was nice to be in places with far less tourists. Early May has the advantage of having less people in port than later in the season as less children will be on board then.

As to the weather it is anyone's guess but that is true of other times of the year. Yes it like will be cooler but that is part of what makes Alaska what it is and you will see more snow on the hills/mountains.

I would not hesitate to go.

Keith

Pretty much the same comments here. I've done early several times but even a couple of weeks can make a big difference. I usually cruise mid May to Mid June. Starting 2 weeks earlier can be a bit more unpredictable but as long as you prepare you'll be ok. As stated some tours and shops may not be set up that early. There may not be many other ships in port with you that early so that is an advantage. Have fun.

We really enjoy mid to late May to early June dates. Have always had amazing times. First run in May may be a bit early and not able to go to a few places...never predictable. Have an awesome time in Alaska which ever date you select. I have to say that we liked early part of season because it felt and looked more seasonal but late in cruise season was much better for wildlife. Once the salmon are running the option to see bears is greater (eating the salmon). In my opinion there can't be a bad day in the Alaska season since it is so beautiful!!

Edited by VacationingCharlene

• 2 weeks later...

I am booked for this cruise as well. We were originally looking at a 7 day roundtrip from Seattle, since the airfare is much better for us, but I was a little disappointed that we wouldn't be able to leave out of Vancouver since I have heard it is a more scenic journey. And then we found this 10 day out of Vancouver and returning to Seattle...the best of both worlds! I too was a little concerned with it being so early in the season, but it sounds like that may not be a big issue.

I am booked for this cruise as well. We were originally looking at a 7 day roundtrip from Seattle, since the airfare is much better for us, but I was a little disappointed that we wouldn't be able to leave out of Vancouver since I have heard it is a more scenic journey. And then we found this 10 day out of Vancouver and returning to Seattle...the best of both worlds! I too was a little concerned with it being so early in the season, but it sounds like that may not be a big issue.

I did a similar itinerary this year. BUT with Carnival- even though it started in Vancouver- they did NOT sail inside Vancouver Island. :(

May too early. E.g. we realize that we'll have less chance to see bears in May. There are other places to view them, but not as they fish for salmon in great numbers later in the summer. You can fish for King Salmon sometimes in May, but I don't think that's the kind of salmon you mean. Or maybe you do. Also, of course, it depends on where in Alaska you are.

I'm going to be the odd man out here.

Our first trip to Alaska was May 10th. I was advised Denali opened on May 10th, as our ship was scheduled to leave Seward that same day, we were not able to get to Denali.

We had mist, drizzle, hard on rain almost all 7 days. The only day that Mother Nature let the sun shine was our day in Glacier Bay. It was cold, but crystal clear.

We had rain coats, but it is no fun tramping around town in the pouring rain, returning to the ship absolutely drenched. By the time we reached Ketchikan, my husband had had enough and didn't even leave the ship. I did venture to the dock right beside the ship and found a small van tour by a local guide to at least see a little of the area. Then returned to the ship.

For my 2nd trip I chose a cruisetour in August. We did have a few days of rain, but it seemed to wait until we were on the coach or at the hotel for the night before the heavens opened.

And remember to protect your camera if you are caught in the rain. I ruined a camera by it getting wet. The inside of your camera will rust (even the humidity can cause it). I learned a valuable lesson, my camera stays in my pocket if it is raining.

Comparing the two timeframes, I WOULD NOT go to Alaska again in May. I hope you have better weather and enjoy your trip to Alaska. It is an awesome destination!

You really can't predict the weather in Alaska, and you can't base your preferences on one trip.

We usually go the last week of July, because it's our anniversary and works well with my work schedule. We have had 80° sunshine (2009) and pouring rain all week (2015) and everything in between, all during that same week in July. I won't say that I'll only travel then because we once had great weather, or that I'll never sail then again because we once had crappy weather. I will continue to sail then because it works for me. Booked already for the same week next year, and we will make the best of it no matter what weather we get.

Will this timeframe be too early to go on the add on small boat excursion to Tracy Arm out of Juneau?

Yes, very high percentage, of being too early. especially if Tracy Arm is at the beginning of your dates.

Is Tracy Arm on the itinerary? If, yes, you have a good chance of either, not even getting to Sawyer Island- if you sail Tracy Arm, or a last minute diversion to Endicott Arm, and the Dawes Glacier, which is essential a bay, certainly scenic, but not a lot distance and short amount of scenic sailing compared to Tracy Arm, or Glacier Bay.

And remember to protect your camera if you are caught in the rain. I ruined a camera by it getting wet. The inside of your camera will rust (even the humidity can cause it). I learned a valuable lesson, my camera stays in my pocket if it is raining.
In addition to rust... there's also the danger of "lens fungus".

https://www.google.ca/search?q=lens+fungus&tbm=isch

We are booked on th Pearl for this cruise. We were wondering if this early in May could prevent us from doing the Glacier Point Safari excursion in Skagway. Also other members of our group are going on the Chilkoot rail/bus excusion to Yukon & wonder if this excursion could be affected also.

We are booked on th Pearl for this cruise. We were wondering if this early in May could prevent us from doing the Glacier Point Safari excursion in Skagway. Also other members of our group are going on the Chilkoot rail/bus excusion to Yukon & wonder if this excursion could be affected also.

Are you able to book Glacier Point? With the Chilkoot Charter's tour- Emerald Lake- very likely will still be frozen, so, you don't see the "green" it's noted for. The Klondike Highway is open year round.