viking---unbelievable and even worse

gowilk

Had great time, our 2nd: did Moscow to St Pete 4 years ago. Would go again if not for Putin! Had threat of low water, thanks for rain dance.

Heard at our house, "Grand Pa, we are Travelers not Tourists! If you put out bad karma, you get bad karma." We are not white glove butler folks, but we do know what we pay for.

Did have several added adventures: could not tie up at lock so sailed all day, Viking then offered missed extra tour to all as well as normal included; extra Yacht Club drinks for stuck tour; 500 bomb uncovered in Koblenz 4000 evacuated in City, river traffic stopped, boat back tracked, had tours with added free lunch open wine, beer bar at restaurant booked at last minute.

Viking Home Office and on-board staff worked very hard coping with changes over which Viking had no control.

If Viking is so bad, why did we have so many 5 and 6 time replete voyagers on our Longship? Go Viking!

If Viking is so bad, why did we have so many 5 and 6 time replete voyagers on our Longship? Go Viking!

Because once you get onto the ship you are under the care and service of the crew and on board staff. Once you get corporate out of the mix, it's all good!! :D

Because once you get onto the ship you are under the care and service of the crew and on board staff. Once you get corporate out of the mix, it's all good!! :D

I know it may not be the accepted wisdom, but my own dealings with Viking Corporate have all been good.

We booked direct without a TA, which went very smoothly, and the one minor snafu on the emailed paperwork was fixed rapidly and courteously.

On our China trip, after we had booked, I had concerns about one of the optional tours possibly not running, I contacted corporate and they reassured me that the tour would happen, arranged for me to pre-book and pre-pay it even though that didn't normally happen until the cruise had started. I was a little nervous that the pre-payment would not make it through to the ship but everything went flawlessly.

This thread has developed at least two off-topic discussions, one about travel insurance and one about credit cards (specifically Amex Platinum). The insurance discussion was pretty firmly embedded with the main topic, but I have moved all the credit card posts to a new thread. Please continue to discuss credit cards there:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275836

Hydrokitty, I think you have summed it up. My sis and BIL just came back from a Viking trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

From posts I have read it is mainly problems with the front office and some of the decisions the front office makes like with low water

Hydrokitty, I think you have summed it up. My sis and BIL just came back from a Viking trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

From posts I have read it is mainly problems with the front office and some of the decisions the front office makes like with low water

The biggest bad decision they made was designing ships that can't handle low water. This was foreseeable, but now they are stuck with it and have to make the best of it with ship swaps while other lines are able to keep cruising.