Easiest way to get to and from POM...

mom23krzkidz

We are flying into FLL, renting a car, visiting in laws and then heading to Miami the day before our cruise (12/26). We are returning the rental (Hertz) that night. We are staying at the Biscayne Bay Doubletree which is very near the port. We are flying out of MIA when we return.

There are 4 of us (adults/young adults) with 4 suitcases and back packs/purses. I think we won't fit into a single cab, hotel does not offer shuttle. We were thinking of a car service, but also uber or two cabs. Any other thoughts? And then the easiest way to get to to MIA? Car service or two cabs? Not worried about the cost as much as making it the easiest way.

I would cancel the car rental, and do a shuttle from FLL to your hotel. A taxi from your hotel to the ship.

Or, as commonly discussed here, fly into FLL, stay in the FLL area (taxi to hotel), then next day shuttle from the FLL hotel to ship.

There are SUV and van taxis. Taxi from ship to airport. With 4 people, taxi and shuttle costs are very similar is all these cases. Using a taxi for all transport is not a bad idea.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I would do as you have planned and drop off the rental car at the Miami Airport.

I would go with taxis.

You likely can fit in a taxi van.

Take the taxi to the hotel from the airport and the next day to the port.

Have a great time.

Keith

There is a Hertz location in downtown Miami - drop your party and bags at the hotel, then return the car and either shuttle or cab back to the hotel. I love this hotel, especially the port view rooms and the pool; the lobby dining room/bar is a good option for Caribbean inspired food, or walk 2-blocks to Bin 18 (18th and Biscayne) for great tapas and an extensive wine and beer list. :D

Taxi to the port should cost under $15; post cruise a taxi from POM to MIA is a flat rate of $27+tip (same far - standard or van/SUV cabs).

Good luck! :)

Didn't even think about taxi vans....that is a great idea. Is that something we can specifically request when having the hotel call a cab?

Thanks!

You can but sometimes it will take a while to get them.

When you get to the hotel speak with them about it.

Keith

Thanks for the restaurant tips. We were thinking of taking a taxi to Joe's but weren't sure we wanted to wait on a table. I know the kids will be parking at the pool the moment we get to the hotel on 12/26...which gives DH and I the chance to take the car to MIA and taxi to the hotel. Walking to dinner would be perfect...then cab to port...and cab at cruise end to MIA. I wish we could drop the car downtown, but it is free rental using points, and only place we can return is MIA...no biggie:)

It might be worth looking into what it costs to keep the car at the hotel overnight. Yeah, they tend to be pricey in the downtown area of miami, but it might just be cost effective to keep it, then drop everything off at the port and return the car. (Although I don't know if Hertz does a shuttle from the airport rental facility to the port.)

That's my plan for our upcoming cruise, because as I started working out the cab costs, it basically ended up equivalent to the parking cost for the night. That said, we're using National, which supposedly does have a shuttle from airport to port.