Acapulco ideas?

daryleann

We have been here several years ago, but now people are saying it is too dangerous to even leave the ship...

What have recent travelers found here? I cannot believe they would even stop if it is not safe.

We enjoy doing our own thing either with small group or wandering on own, so would appreciate some current feedback.

The cruise ships stopped going there for years

and now they are back to aca = SAFE FOR CRUISERS

Suggest chartering a VW taxi for $15/hr and check out all the cool spots near the port... like Tarzan's Los Flamingos... end the day at Paradise for some extreme Bungy visuals

If ships are going back the cruise lines think it is safe. My suggestion would be to do a ship's excursion as you might feel safer that way.

I would suggest you do one with the Cliff Divers. I know some think this is very touristy. However, I really loved it. These are generations of families that do this. I loved it. Plus, the ride there and back felt completely safe. The tours might also include a trip around with a stop at a hotel or something. Go for it. You should be just fine. Like anywhere that you might question, I suggest staying with a group and not wandering off on your own.

It's been awhile since I was there but it was a great day! I wish the same for you.:):):)

My humorous suggestion would be the "Casas Seguras de los Narcotraficantes" tour. :) However, I would suggest simply taking a ship's tour or catching a cab to see the city highlights plus the cliff divers.

In all honesty, I personally wouldn't simply stay on the ship and would just stick to the normal tourist locations.

We were in Acapulco earlier this month and felt perfectly comfortable. We booked a van and went out to see the turtle releases. The traffic was terrible because of a bicycle race shutting down much of the road so it limited our touring the rest of the area. We didn't see nor hear of any violence while we were there.

A tour of the old part of town is interesting as we did that last year and saw the Diego Rivera sculpture wall, Casa Blanca hotel viewing deck, Flamingo hotel (movie star hangout from the fifties) and took a local glass bottom boat trip out to Los Rocas. You will miss a lot of interesting sites if you stay on the ship. Also, the old fort across from the pier is worth seeing. All of the old town sites are close to the cliff divers, so you can include them in a tour of that part of the city without worrying about the time.

I feel safer in Acapulco than I do in Los Angeles.

The only word of caution I will pass on is don't let the guide take you to the downtown flea market. It is not a nice place at all.

Edited by swedish weave

We recently did a full day tour/shore excursion with Roberto Alarcon. Two highlights of our tour were a visit to the Turtle Release centre and viewing the cliff divers, but what made the day so special was Roberto himself. From my first contact with him via email, he couldn't have been more attentive and despite having to deal with a horrendous day of traffic (due to the bike race noted above), he managed to deliver, as promised, a great tour. When I viewed all the photos Roberto had sent me, I was reminded of the wonderful time we all had. Roberto was waiting for us on arrival, spoke excellent English, had a nice air conditioned van and supplied refreshments and went out of his way to ensure each person in the group was well taken care of. I don't think any of us ever felt the least bit intimidated. Roberto is very proud of his city and I would highly recommend his services should you decide to go on a shore excursion in Acapulco. He will work with you to arrange whatever tour/sights you may wish to see. You can access reviews for him on Tripadvisor.

A visit to the Capilla de la Paz (Chapel of Peace) is a good option. It's above the Las Brisas hotel.

It's #1 "thing to do" according to Trip Advisor.

The view is amazing.

There is some steep steps, so I would say you need to be physically fit.

Edited by leftygolfer

• 1 year later...
We recently did a full day tour/shore excursion with Roberto Alarcon. Two highlights of our tour were a visit to the Turtle Release centre and viewing the cliff divers, but what made the day so special was Roberto himself. From my first contact with him via email, he couldn't have been more attentive and despite having to deal with a horrendous day of traffic (due to the bike race noted above), he managed to deliver, as promised, a great tour. When I viewed all the photos Roberto had sent me, I was reminded of the wonderful time we all had. Roberto was waiting for us on arrival, spoke excellent English, had a nice air conditioned van and supplied refreshments and went out of his way to ensure each person in the group was well taken care of. I don't think any of us ever felt the least bit intimidated. Roberto is very proud of his city and I would highly recommend his services should you decide to go on a shore excursion in Acapulco. He will work with you to arrange whatever tour/sights you may wish to see. You can access reviews for him on Tripadvisor.

I second the recommendation for Roberto. We booked a private tour with him in October to celebrate our anniversary & he went above & beyond to make it special.

Juli