Drink Packages - Are they worth it?

CruiseNerd1000

I'm trying to decide if the BIG drink package is worth the money on Princess. Not a huge drinker, but would love all the bottled water I can drink. Can anyone tell me what the cost of the bottled water is on Princess? We are traveling on the Caribbean Princess next month. Thanks!

I'm trying to decide if the BIG drink package is worth the money on Princess. Not a huge drinker, but would love all the bottled water I can drink. Can anyone tell me what the cost of the bottled water is on Princess? We are traveling on the Caribbean Princess next month. Thanks!

I think it was about $5 for a big bottle but the tap water on the ship is fine, so we just bring a reusable container. Also Princess allows unlimited carry -on water and soda so you can bring it with you.

Agree with what others have said, it would not be worth it for primarily water. A good way to judge whether it's worth it is to go to your statement from a previous cruise and tally the drink charges. We did this and found it was almost the exact same cost as a package so we did the package and enjoyed other things we may have avoided to save a few bucks, like sodas, bottled water, Pellegrino, etc. My last cruise on Regal the large bottled water (1.5L) was about $4-5. Cheers and enjoy your cruise.

You more or less seem to be searching for input on two related subjects: (1) As for the "BIG" drink package itself, I'm a pretty big cocktail drinker and even I recognized it was not a good value for me. I had PLENTY to drink on my 3-week Emerald cruise in July, and made out much better paying as I went. (2) Others seem to be pretty clear about water, bottled or other. Obviously you'll make out head over shoulders better by bringing your own or simply drinking tap water (which you can put into empty water bottles if need be, similarly).

Don't forget that bottled water is, for the most part, tap or reservoir water. Aquafina recently came out and admitted that their bottled water is tap water.

WAY back in my career, I worked a short time for Ralphs Grocery Co. (Big Supermarket chain out here--now merged into Kroger)...learned all of their "secrets". One was the highest profit margin item in the store--bottled drinking water. They used to joke that it came from "Artesian wells"...as in TAP WATER in the bottling plant--which was located on Artesia Boulevard in Compton! Basically, they merely piped the water straight from the tap and through a charcoal filter (like the one you get with a Brita pitcher) and into the bottles.

MOST of the bottled water out there is produced exactly the same way.

If you are trying to make these drink packages work based on drinking bottled water, note that you simply can't drink that much water...You'd be spending your entire cruise in the rest room...

As to getting a drink package to buy a lot of alcoholic drinks...

The cost is $49 per day, plus 15% gratuity of $7.35 for a total of $56.35 per day per person...If the average drink is $8 (remember, there is a limit whereby you cannot order the real premium drinks under the package), then you could drink SIX drinks per night and still not break even...You would have to exceed that! And remember, you may drink some while in port in addition to what you consume on the ship...

And, face it, some days, you just won't feel like downing 6-7 drinks...

ONLY purchase one of these drink packages if you drink a WHOLE LOT!! Even if you drink 6-7 drinks per night, why not just buy by the drink...and you can control what you drink--buy a premium if you want it...drink less some nights...Why pay for all those drinks ahead of time? The cruise lines do not offer these packages to lose money or give up revenue.

The only other reason to get the package is the reason I have it on my next two Celebrity cruises--it was part of a promotion--and it was take the package or take a $200 or $300 per cabin OBC...On my 7 night and 13 night cruises, if I consider it as costing me only $200 or $300, it makes a lot more sense...

I created a similar post about the All-Inclusive Package. Bruin Steve makes an excellent point (as usual) about considering the pay as you go option. However, though I was originally on the fence, I've decided to get the AIBP.

Here's why:

I typically drink 4 drinks per day at $8 per drink, that makes it $32 for the day. I also typically buy the UKP or "sodas and more" package which costs $7 per day. I am already at $39 bucks.

So for me it will be worth the extra $10 per day to:

1. Add a glass or 2 of champagne or bloody mary to my breakfast (I'm a big Sunday Brunch fan).

2. "Upgrade" my regular drinks to a fresh squeezed OJ, bottled water, or specialty coffee and automatically get the tapas and sushi at vines (if they still require a drink purchase to get them).

3. Have a drink whenever I go from one venue to another and not add up costs in my head. Often times, I will be at a show, or the trivia room, or the poolside, and want a drink but want to be cost conscious so I don't order one.

4. Be able to sample almost any drink I might like. Typically, I stick to drinks I know I will like so as not to waste money. Now I can try a single malt scotch, or certain types of martinis that I would normally never buy.

5. I can now order my margaritas with chasers that they will serve me 5 minutes later. So whether I want to chase it with grand marnier, cointreau, an extra shot of tequila, beer, etc., I don't have to think about it.

6. Frankly, I think there is a huge emotional component that is attached to the package. It truly lends the emotional experience of feeling like you are on an all-inclusive vacation. Even if I don't quite get my "money's worth", I will enjoy that feeling of, as someone else put it, 'drinking without thinking'. We are 'diamond members' on RCI and thus had access to their concierge lounge. The only way to get into that lounge was to sail on 10+ cruises with them or get a suite. Usually, we did both. And I know that I mentally attached a very high value to their concierge lounge, which at the time, was limited to about 6 different alcohols (that we poured ourselves) and the access time was limited to ~ 4 hours per day during dinner hours (so you really only had 2 hours to imbibe). Suites are expensive, 10 cruises are expensive, so now with the AIBP on Princess you have many more choices for the entire day! I have scoured the net for drink menus on Princess and have already identified 60 drinks that I could taste. Knowing myself, I probably won't get anywhere near that total but it's fun to have that as my option.

2. "Upgrade" my regular drinks to a fresh squeezed OJ, bottled water, or specialty coffee and automatically get the tapas and sushi at vines (if they still require a drink purchase to get them).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....was told that the AIBP was not good in Vines??? Thank you.

Agree with what others have said, it would not be worth it for primarily water. A good way to judge whether it's worth it is to go to your statement from a previous cruise and tally the drink charges. We did this and found it was almost the exact same cost as a package so we did the package and enjoyed other things we may have avoided to save a few bucks, like sodas, bottled water, Pellegrino, etc. My last cruise on Regal the large bottled water (1.5L) was about $4-5. Cheers and enjoy your cruise.
This is what I did when trying to decide. It was a bit of an eye opener :eek:.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.....was told that the AIBP was not good in Vines??? Thank you.

You can order by the glass at vines you just can't use it for an entire bottle.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

You can order by the glass at vines you just can't use it for an entire bottle.

Thanks for the clarification/confirmation, Mom2tah!

I looked at the drink package descriptions and it very clearly says any drink item up to $10 with the exception of room service and mini bar items, so it would have surprised me if drinks from the Vines bar wasn't included.

BTW, according to what I've seen online (I haven't sailed in about 2 years), there are extremely few drinks on the menu that cost more than $10.

Found this great tool on some other Princess thread. It made me decide not to go with the AIBP on the upcoming 15 day Panama Canal cruise since I would likely not be upright if I consumed nearly $850 of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages on this trip.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=311975&d=1399496113

Thanks for the clarification/confirmation, Mom2tah!

I looked at the drink package descriptions and it very clearly says any drink item up to $10 with the exception of room service and mini bar items, so it would have surprised me if drinks from the Vines bar wasn't included.

BTW, according to what I've seen online (I haven't sailed in about 2 years), there are extremely few drinks on the menu that cost more than $10.

That's correct very few drinks are more than $10.

How about getting a bottle with a built in water filter? Less expensive in the long run and so much better for the environment.

That's what we do and it makes a difference in the taste of the water. The ship's water is perfectly healthy and good, it just has a different mineral complexity than what we are used to. The filtered bottles fixes that.

However, bottles that are under $100 cab be purchased at a 40% discount with the AIBP.

Exactly! This is what sealed the deal for us when deciding, as we usually get a bottle with dinner. For example, we order a bottle priced at $35...that's $14 savings off the listed price. Plus, we like to have drinks at the pool, coffee in the a.m., a cocktail prior to dinner, a late night aperif...it makes sense for us. But if you only have a couple of drinks, I wouldn't think it would be worthwhile, even with water and coffee.

The AIBP is definitely 100% good at Vines. It's where you'll find us most evenings.

Also some things to think about with the AIPB:

You don't have to order bottles of wine at dinner you still can get glasses. You have the AIBP....why buy a bottle? We bring in glasses from Vines. If you are a wine drinker, the AIBP is a no brainer. Yes drinking $50 a day of $5 beers would be tough. But drinking $50 in $10 glasses of wine is not too hard. How about a port after dinner? Done.

People make the mistake of only thinking "alcoholic" beverages. The IC has much more than just coffee and espresso. We love the Raspberry Pomegranate Splash with soda in the afternoon. And the tea selection is good. Don't forget that shakes are included in this too at Scoops. We had never tried either before the AIBP, felt like a waste of $4.50. But now we can experiment.

OP is right about water. We like what we call "room water" for the day and night. We pick up a large bottle every day and take it to the room. We tell our steward at the beginning of the cruise to not but any bottles or cans in the fridge as we don't need it.

Edited by sonomaphil

There has been a lot of editorializing but no one has answered your question. A 0.5 liter bottle is $2.30 with gratuity and a 1.5 liter bottle is $4.03 with gratuity.

Just buy a 40 pack tap water bottle or 35 pack spring water from Costco .. Tape your luggage tags on it .. Drop it with the porter .. And it appears in your room ..

It's $4 or less if u do that

Don't spend $55+ per day to get bottled water ...

Reasons why the All Inclusive Beverage Package is a good value:

1. Having the freeing feeling that everything is already paid for.

2. Not having to check what you've purchased against your bill each day. The computer automatically designates your purchases as included in the AIBP.

2. Not having to think about each purchase, like wondering, do I want a merlot because it's a dollar less than than the pinot?

3. The AIBP does not require having to sign for each purchase, except for in the main dining rooms, which require signatures for a glass of wine.

5. Feeling free to get bottled water at any time, which is nice to have for tours.

6. When an unauthorized charge is made, which has only happened to me twice, both times in the Palm dining room on the Caribbean Princess, it makes it easier to dispute. If unauthorized charges are made to an account that has the AIBP, which requires a computer override, who knows what's going on with other accounts on the ship that are not on the AIBP. AIBP cruisers don't have to worry about these things. (However, from now on, I'm carrying my wine glass from Vines to dinner because I find unauthorized charges, regardless of how small, very annoying.)

The reasons not to get the AIBP:

1. Having the feeling sometimes, like after returning from a tour, of needing to get downstairs to get your monies' worth instead of resting, which is what you really want to do.

2. Some days you may not get your monies' worth from the AIBP, especially during port intensive days, but if the conveniences of having the AIBP outweigh the costs, it's still worth it.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Reasons why the All Inclusive Beverage Package is a good value:

3. The AIBP does not require having to sign for each purchase, except for in the main dining rooms, which require signatures for a glass of wine.

Mackenzie,

Interesting point you made on #3. I was under the impression from others that you had to sign for all drinks but they 'zeroed out' the charges on the receipt.