Odd question

Cruisegirl6

Also, I would reserach natural ways to help with symptoms, I'm not saying not to take your meication but to explore alternative ways to help reduce and manage symptoms.Since you are so young, this would be my first line of defense. Good luck!

Pat

SweetPea0517 thank you for that info!!

Slingbluesilvler1- What is going on I hearing too many young people coming down with illnesses, its like what is in our food, I am so sorry. I lived with fibromyalgia since the age of 33 around there, so I developed a high tolerance to pain, which helps me remain mentally strong now with this lupus pain. I have had it for a couple of years, just didn't want to go to the rheumatologist because was dealing with other health issues. I found prednisone works the best for me only a few months ago my gyn had me go for a bone density test and found I have osteopenia, the beginning of osteoporosis so the doctor won't give me anymore prednisone as it is not good for the bones. You mention your so fatigue I know that well....try taking a nap if you can somewhere in the day it helps me. I also find the days I have severe fatigue I have less pain and visa versa, not sure which one is better lol. Your not alone I know what you mean. Are you taking any medication for the lupus?

quick rate- I am so into natural remedies, the only one that I believe that would help and work is medical marijuana, I live in Florida where its not legal so unable to give it a try. I don't mean to offend anybody using that word, but its being used for many diseases/illnesses and it helps many out there, just stating a fact.

http://www.medicaljane.com/2013/01/07/lupus-and-medical-marijuana/

I have read up on so much and tried so many things,nothing seems to help...tried some herbal supplements such as ginger, flaxseed, and numeric and such suppose to help with the pain and or fatigue didn't work for me....

on another note fyi, be careful of taking some of these while taking other medications...I find anti inflammatories do help me a bit but doesn't give me the relief I need. If anybody is taking any medication that you feel helps please let me know.

You all are WONDERFUL and be strong everybody its the only thing we can do.

To the OP...

Do you need assistance to board the ramp...a walker, cane, wheel chair or scooter or rely on another person for support. If so you will be directed to the assistance line when boarding. (in my experience Carnival is great at recognizing these and moving people to the right line).

If your symptoms are more "invisible" then you need to contact Carnival and find out, from them, what assistance or early boarding can be offered to you. But, the early boarding will only be offered to you and your cabin mate not to your entire party if you are traveling with other adults.

My advice (like others) is to check-in after the first rush...about 1pm. When you board lunch is still being served (and the crush is less since most people now have access to their rooms) and your room will be ready.

bakersdozen12 its ok its a small ship not as many people I am so used to 6k plus ships the Fascination only holds 2636 passengers and that includes all the berths occupied, there won't be any weddings doubt it highly on this ship, unfortunately this be the first time not having FTTF but I am checking regularly in hopes one does open up.

Sweet Dutch Girl- Sometimes I could use a scooter but won't give into that, I can bring a cane yes, and I have my other half who is strong and tall to keep me up lol. :D My father in law is going also so he has trouble walking also because he is elderly he bringing a cane too...I wonder if they have double wheelchairs :D

I definitely be limping, not sure if I be severe or bad but when I walk if people look at me which is odd if they don't lol....they notice I have problems.

I hope you have a wonderful time! When we travel we try to keep our outlook pointed to 'we may not be able to do everything we want but sitting on the balcony watching everything sure is better than being at home in the cold'. I hope you have a pain free time as much as possible!

SweetPea0517, thank you we sure will...I feel less pain when I am out at sea, looking forward to that relief...also I love people watching, having a cocktail on the Promenade, perhaps they still have a band playing music and people watching is very relaxing, perhaps meeting some nice people too be nice. Yes, we do get balcony cabins but I rarely sit out there, like to be where the people are lol.

Thank you.

Edited by lyndamr

I didn't read the rest of the thread but wanted to add what's below if nobody else had:

You can request wheelchair assistance for embarking and disembarking thru Carnival. We do it every cruise due to DH's health issues - he can walk for only short distances and could never make it up and down the ramps. (they provide the wheelchair and a "pusher" for that service - anyone needing a wheelchair for the rest of the cruise must make other arrangements for that.)

Our TA handles signing up prior to the cruise for us so I'm not sure what's required but calling carnival's special needs department can advise you. When we arrive at the curb for luggage drop off I find a person in red and inform them we're there - they take care of the rest.:)

I'm not sure if you have cruised out of JAX before, but from our experience they don't usually allow anyone into the parking lot there much before 11am.

Also, the Fascination boards on Deck 1 so you don't have the ramps to walk up like you do in some ports.

And don't discount weddings on that ship - we have seen several.

Enjoy your cruise. Fascination is one of my favorite ships, only 40 minutes from my house

I decided to go early, yes, we been on the Fascination a number of times out of Jax and correct, they don't let you in until around 10:45....you know, I forgot about not having the ramps, I go on many cruises sometimes I loose track!

We also love the Fascination I also have the same drive time, wonder if we are in the same town lol.

Jana60- Im actually a bit afraid speaking to my doctor telling him I don't want a biologic, I don't want him to think I don't trust him, oddly, all my other doctors, primary, gyn, endocrinologist, gastrointerolgist, hemotologist/onocologst and cardiologist I can be all honest, laughing, joking, and disagreeing but this one I don't know why? Perhaps because he is a very serious doctor never laughed and he is the most senior of doctors I have but I just can't tell him I don't want a biologic....but I will think things over and find a way because maybe he will have another different plan to help me, your right Dr./Jana60 thank you for the talk and putting sense into me, I am sure you are all right. ;)

dezertcruzer thank you for what you said.... Do you take a medication for it, if so would love to hear your experience/suggestions....to anybody who would like to talk or email me my email is lyndammr@yahoo.com

I realize that this isn't the complaint board and I am sorry, but I appreciate all your suggestions and help and will take them into consideration for sure, thanks a bunch!!!

FYI to anybody the best shoes are Vionic Orthoheel they help me walk better, going to try ABEP from the Walking company and Dansko soon too. Shoes do matter lol.

I also wear Vionic Orthoheel. Love them. But they aren't cheap, are they? I still hurt but I hurt less with them. I can walk short distances but now rely on my scooter for outings. Last week I went to the mall alone (I have a lift on the car) for the first time in over 2 years.

Call Carnival or log into Carnival.com and select the wheelchair/Special Assistance checkbox under your booking. You'll likely get a call from Carnival confirming the type of special assistance you need. Then when you get to the port just go to the special assistance desk and they'll board you right after Platinum/Diamond. My mother is disabled and requires a wheelchair so I've had to do this several times at Port of Miami and Port Canaveral. Anyone included on the booking will board with them as well.

Boozebabe hello....no they are not cheap but when it comes down to severely in pain and limping and buying those shoes which help, and they do help me also, its worth having. I try to buy them on discount places online such as shoebuy and 6pm.com....onlineshoes, etc, I just try to find the best price and online coupons too.

Thats great you got to the mail this week wonderful news!!!

ALT_Miami_Cruiser thank you for that info!! ;)

You have a valid medical condition which may require special assistance and consideration with boarding. Contact the special needs department regarding this and you will be placed into the special needs boarding group which goes just free FTTF. Hidden illnesses are still illnesses ( I struggle with one myself). Get all the help you need. Don't be a hero. Do what you need to in order to conserve your pain tolerance and have fun on your cruise!

I've never seen a wheelchair in the long lines to register. Carnival is very accommodating to "challenged" guest. Call ahead and be sure.

• 5 months later...
Jana60- Im actually a bit afraid speaking to my doctor telling him I don't want a biologic, I don't want him to think I don't trust him, oddly, all my other doctors, primary, gyn, endocrinologist, gastrointerolgist, hemotologist/onocologst and cardiologist I can be all honest, laughing, joking, and disagreeing but this one I don't know why? Perhaps because he is a very serious doctor never laughed and he is the most senior of doctors I have but I just can't tell him I don't want a biologic....but I will think things over and find a way because maybe he will have another different plan to help me, your right Dr./Jana60 thank you for the talk and putting sense into me, I am sure you are all right. ;)

dezertcruzer thank you for what you said.... Do you take a medication for it, if so would love to hear your experience/suggestions....to anybody who would like to talk or email me my email is lyndammr@yahoo.com

I realize that this isn't the complaint board and I am sorry, but I appreciate all your suggestions and help and will take them into consideration for sure, thanks a bunch!!!

FYI to anybody the best shoes are Vionic Orthoheel they help me walk better, going to try ABEP from the Walking company and Dansko soon too. Shoes do matter lol.

I know this thread is a little old, but I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis and am currently on MTX. My last cruise I came down with a very nasty upper respiratory infection that began showing up on our last day on the ship. So I've been worried about being on a immunosuppressant on our next cruise in a couple of months. I am planning on talking to my rheumy later in the month, but was curious what others who are on immunosuppressants do? Do you go off them before hand and if so, usually how long before the cruise?

My DH has mobility issues and can't walk distances - like in boarding. Our TA requests wheelchair assistance through the special needs department. We find a Carnival employee on arrival and they take DH in their wheelchair through checkin and boarding. If the cabins aren't ready they drop him off in the Lido where we have a leisurely lunch while we wait for the cabin to be ready. We stop at Guest services day 2 or 3 to be put on the list for wheelchair assistance to disembark.

He can get around once aboard although slowly :) - it's the getting on and off that does him in. We book our cabins in the aft near the elevator to have easy access to the dining rooms and the Lido. It works for us since, once aboard he can do as much or as little as he feels up to. Also, he brings his cane to help with balance if the ship is rolling. Without this assistance he couldn't cruise - with it he can have an enjoyable time.:)

Be sure to tip your "pusher" :-)

Edited by summersigh

I know this thread is a little old, but I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and psoriatic arthritis and am currently on MTX. My last cruise I came down with a very nasty upper respiratory infection that began showing up on our last day on the ship. So I've been worried about being on a immunosuppressant on our next cruise in a couple of months. I am planning on talking to my rheumy later in the month, but was curious what others who are on immunosuppressants do? Do you go off them before hand and if so, usually how long before the cruise?

I would suggest going to a store like Whole Foods and going to the essential oils area. Ask them for an oil called Thieves, or Four Thieves, sometimes, Good Samaritann. They will know what you are talking about. Read up online about supporting your immune system with Thieves. Most of the info you will find will probably be about the Young Living brand, but it applies to any of them. Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful trip.