I get conflicting info! Power Strips on Constellation?

skoeper

Is there any multi-plug strips we CAN take onto the Constellation? I've never been sent to the naughty room and I don't want to begin now. But we have a group with hearing loss and we will be bringing a lot of hearing devices that need charging.

Advice?

Is there any multi-plug strips we CAN take onto the Constellation? I've never been sent to the naughty room and I don't want to begin now. But we have a group with hearing loss and we will be bringing a lot of hearing devices that need charging.

Advice?

You can take them. What they prohibit is extension cords. What I have taken on Constellation and other Celebrity cruise ships is a Monster Outlets to Go.

b33ee454db14e891604471f1f11fddcd.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Contact celebrity hq special needs dept.

I did that today! I know they aren't there on the weekends. I'm hoping that because of the extra "stuff" we have, they will provide it for us and we won't have to worry about the naughty room :)

You can take them. What they prohibit is extension cords. What I have taken on Constellation and other Celebrity cruise ships is a Monster Outlets to Go.

b33ee454db14e891604471f1f11fddcd.jpg

That's very cool! If the ship won't provide us with anything, I'll definitely check that out on Amazon :)

My husband uses a c-pap machine. Does anyone know if there are any plugs near the bad? It's been our experience that the only plugs are across the room, necessitating an extension cord. I don't want to break the rules, but I'd also rather have a rested husband who was breathing all night.

My husband uses a c-pap machine. Does anyone know if there are any plugs near the bad? It's been our experience that the only plugs are across the room, necessitating an extension cord. I don't want to break the rules, but I'd also rather have a rested husband who was breathing all night.

No outlets near the bed. However, check Celebrity's Special Needs site, which contains a form that has CPAP machines listed as a check box. Send it in and they will respond in a day or two that they will supply an extension cord and distilled water.

As sptrout posted request an extension cord from Celebrity. They will provide you with one that meets their safety standards. If you break the rules and bring your own cord there have been many reports of them being confiscated.

As sptrout posted request an extension cord from Celebrity. They will provide you with one that meets their safety standards. If you break the rules and bring your own cord there have been many reports of them being confiscated.

If observed, they may place it in storage to be returned at the end of the cruise. They will provide extension cords, but make sure that they have the correct receiving outlet. They have never provided me with a power strip.

Small strips are inexpensive. I would take several in different locations.

Spread the risk.

We have brought an extension cord on every cruise we have ever taken (Carnival, Cunard, RCI, NCL, Princess) and have never had a problem! But Celebrity does not allow it?? Why, I wonder?

Royal Caribbean does not allow them either. If you didn't have a problem on Royal it just means they overlooked it. That is always possible. As to why they don't allow it I don't know but I would guess a passenger brought a frayed extension cord onboard and there was an issue. A lot of rules by companies are reactive, not proactive.

Edited by Charles4515

Please be VERY careful that anything you plug into 220V is rated for 220V. Check the label on the device BEFORE you plug it in. The Belkin referenced is rated for 110-120v NOT 220-240V....and the Monster travel power strip I have is physically labelled 110-120V not 110-240V although the Monster site now apparently says it's rated for 110-240V....so be careful with that one. Just because you have an adapter that will convert the plug to the US blade type plugs doesn't change the voltage coming out...it's still 220V.

For the OP....it sounds like you need multiple (as in 6 or more) outlets...so I'd still recommend calling Celebrity Special Needs rather than risking something actually being confiscated and having no way to charge the hearing devices.

Please be VERY careful that anything you plug into 220V is rated for 220V. Check the label on the device BEFORE you plug it in. The Belkin referenced is rated for 110-120v NOT 220-240V....and the Monster travel power strip I have is physically labelled 110-120V not 110-240V although the Monster site now apparently says it's rated for 110-240V....so be careful with that one. Just because you have an adapter that will convert the plug to the US blade type plugs doesn't change the voltage coming out...it's still 220V.

For the OP....it sounds like you need multiple (as in 6 or more) outlets...so I'd still recommend calling Celebrity Special Needs rather than risking something actually being confiscated and having no way to charge the hearing devices.

When I bought my Monster power strip I checked on the rating and it was rated for 110 to 240. But I do remember there was some question about that and it was clarified. I would not have bought it if it were not good for international use. But why are you raising using an adapter? On a cruise ship I plug it into the 110 US outlets. I have used my Monster power strip in Europe and used a plug adapter to plug it into the 220 mains. As for the Belkin I don't know how it is rated and I don't own one but did I miss something? I don't see where it was suggested plugging it into 240 mains with a plug adapter.

Edited by Charles4515

I did that yesterday :) Hope to hear back from them soon after they are open after the weekend. If they provide them, then I don't have to even think about this anymore :)

You can take them. What they prohibit is extension cords. What I have taken on Constellation and other Celebrity cruise ships is a Monster Outlets to Go.[/Quote]

Did you have it in your check in luggage or your carry-on? My wife made the mistake of putting one in her carry-on and it was confiscated. However she also had a 6ft extension cord with a three outlet plug and they said that was ok. I would say if you are going to bring one, pack it in your check in luggage and get the short type.

Did you have it in your check in luggage or your carry-on? My wife made the mistake of putting one in her carry-on and it was confiscated. However she also had a 6ft extension cord with a three outlet plug and they said that was ok. I would say if you are going to bring one, pack it in your check in luggage and get the short type.

I bring the Monster Outlets to Go in my carry on. Bought it in 2012 and have carried it on seven Celebrity cruises since buying it. Constellation, Equinox, 2 Summit, 2 Silhouette, and Reflection. Nothing was ever said about it.

Royal Caribbean does not allow them either. If you didn't have a problem on Royal it just means they overlooked it. That is always possible. As to why they don't allow it I don't know but I would guess a passenger brought a frayed extension cord onboard and there was an issue. A lot of rules by companies are reactive, not proactive.

Yup...I guess they overlooked it on 10 cruises. ;) I guess I have been lucky or this was not always the case?

Edited by suzyed

Yup...I guess they overlooked it on 10 cruises. ;) I guess I have been lucky or this was not always the case?

They have been prohibited for many years. Could be the majority of extension cords that passengers bring get overlooked. It may depend on how they are packed. It could be that that the ones that are confiscated are really large or something. We only hear about it on the forum when someone says an extension cord is confiscated. That could be one time out of ten but it not being confiscated does not change the fact that extension cords are not allowed and named as a prohibited item. Power Strips are not named as prohibited. But looking around the house I have a couple that have very long cords so some might consider those extension cords with a strip. The power strip I bring on cruises is more power strip than cord. It sits on the cabin desk to provide a few extra outlets, not to extend them. I don't bring items that I know are prohibited. I brought a travel iron my first few cruises because I didn't know they were not allowed. It was never confiscated and it was even in full view in my cabin. But when it came to my attention on Cruise Critic that they were not allowed I stopped packing it even though it had never been confiscated. If I needed an extension cord for medical reasons and was aware of their policy I would notify the special needs department rather than bring one.

Edited by Charles4515

Yep, you were lucky. Just remember that all checked luggage has to be inspected (x-rayed) and they have thousands of bags to check in a very short period of time. I can easily see how many things are missed during the few hours that they have to get all luggage onboard, x-rayed, and then sent on to each cabin. It has to be a tough job, I just hope nothing more dangerous than an extension cord or two get through. I hope that they are really looking for the deadly stuff........seems like sooner or later, in one country or another.......very tempting targets I would think for the bad guys.

I received a response from the Special Needs Dept.

Here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting us. Please be advised we do not provide multi power strips and those are not allowed onboard. We can provide only extension cords. Please let us know if you may need one."

So, I've replied that we would like extension cords. I'm not sure how much that will help, but usually you can plug at least two things in one. We shall see!

I received a response from the Special Needs Dept.

Here is what they said:

"Thank you for contacting us. Please be advised we do not provide multi power strips and those are not allowed onboard. We can provide only extension cords. Please let us know if you may need one."

So, I've replied that we would like extension cords. I'm not sure how much that will help, but usually you can plug at least two things in one. We shall see!

Hmm. Are the hearing devices something other than hearing aids? Why would you need the extension cord? Don't you just need multiple outlets? Regular outlets as opposed to USB outlets?

Edited by Charles4515