Just Off Island Princess Mediterranean - Questions?

diane.in.ny

Just returned from Princess Swiss Splendor land tour and 12 night Med cruise.

On the cruise we went Venice to Rome stopping in Istanbul, Mykonos, Athens, Naples, Corsica, Toulon and Livorno.

On our own we did Venice, Istanbul and Mykonos. Been to Athens before so stayed on the ship and also stayed on the ship to rest when in Toulon

Used private tours for Amalfi Coast, Pisa/San Gimignano and transfer to Rome.

Used Princess tour in Corsica.

Spend two nights in Rome and had a private full day tour.

I'll be happy to try and answer any questions about the ship and ports of call.

And over the next couple of days I'll be updating my travel blog. (Right now still working on the Switzerland part. :))

I have some questions regarding the most recent renovations on the Island Princess.

1) Did the ship seem crowded due to the extra cabins?

2) With the loss of the Universe Lounge, were there enough entertainment options in other lounges? Were those lounges crowded?

3) Did you notice a vibration in the aft end of the ship? We are booked in one of the new staterooms on Deck 7, so I am hoping the vibration isn't too bad on the lower deck.

4) How was the remodel to the Horizon Court? I heard there's a coffee bar in the Horizon now and I'm wondering how it was.

Thank you in advance for answering.

Hi Diane:

Like the others, I'm mostly interested in the ship, since we'll be boarding in 34 days. But I also have a (possibly silly) question about sailing in the Mediterranean.

I've never been to Europe, so don't have a sense of scale. Do you see more land while sailing the Med, since it's closer quarters? Or is it just like an ocean once you're out there with land too far away to see?

Jim

My first on Island Princess in April - wondering about the Lotus Pool...is it for public use or only for spa customers?

I can answer this question for you. The Lotus Pool is available for anyone to use. On the Island and the Coral, the Lotus Pool is located mid-ship, and it's covered. This is different than most other ships where the Lotus Pool is forward and uncovered.

The Island used to have a pool in the aft section that was for Sanctuary customers only. This pool was taken out and replaced by cabins. The new Sanctuary does not have access to a pool.

I have some questions regarding the most recent renovations on the Island Princess.

1) Did the ship seem crowded due to the extra cabins?

No, and we had a full ship

2) With the loss of the Universe Lounge, were there enough entertainment options in other lounges? Were those lounges crowded?

We attended a couple of shows in the Princess Theater and , YES, they were crowded. Several shows played to standing room only. Also, for bingo players (we play the last game of the cruise), the little pull up tables were ridiculous for holding the sheets ... way too small

3) Did you notice a vibration in the aft end of the ship? We are booked in one of the new staterooms on Deck 7, so I am hoping the vibration isn't too bad on the lower deck.

Some people commented on it. Others said they had no problem. Really couldn't narrow it down for you.

4) How was the remodel to the Horizon Court? I heard there's a coffee bar in the Horizon now and I'm wondering how it was.

I honestly didn't realize there was a remodel to the Horizon Court as it looked the same as the one on the Coral which we sailed in May. It was fine and the only time we had a problem finding a table was disembarkation morning. Yes, there is a coffee bar and cappuccino is great. BTW, the wait staff will be happy to go up and get your coffee for you. My advice is to politely decline the offer and go yourself. The staff gets several orders at the same time and it will take longer to get your coffee. Plus it appeared to me that pax on the line got served before the staff orders.)

Thank you in advance for answering.

I have tried to answer your questions above in red

I'm also looking forward to hearing the changes on island we'll be on her in April Panama canal

I was really disappointed with the loss of the full promenade deck, which is now someone's balcony. And as typical, the balcony dividers are in more than one piece with a slight opening between pieces. This means that anyone can put their nose to it and peak into those first port and starboard side balconies. I would not recommend them if privacy was important. I find it disconcerting enough on my regular balcony when I'm just between two cabins.

I was really disappointed with the loss of the full promenade deck, which is now someone's balcony. And as typical, the balcony dividers are in more than one piece with a slight opening between pieces. This means that anyone can put their nose to it and peak into those first port and starboard side balconies. I would not recommend them if privacy was important. I find it disconcerting enough on my regular balcony when I'm just between two cabins.

So there is no walking track on that deck ?

Or is there another deck on the ship where we can walk around the entire ship ?

Other than the upper decks which is not the same experience

Hi Diane:

Like the others, I'm mostly interested in the ship, since we'll be boarding in 34 days. But I also have a (possibly silly) question about sailing in the Mediterranean.

I've never been to Europe, so don't have a sense of scale. Do you see more land while sailing the Med, since it's closer quarters? Or is it just like an ocean once you're out there with land too far away to see?

Jim

Depends on the itinerary. We sailed between Sicily and the toe of Italy's boot and saw land. Saw land sailing in the Greek Isles. Sailing into and out of Istanbul took us through the Dardenelles.

So there is no walking track on that deck ?

Or is there another deck on the ship where we can walk around the entire ship ?

Other than the upper decks which is not the same experience

Only on Deck 15. But that is exposed to the sun and weather. We loved the Deck 7 full promenade and missed it. Sure, when you get aft you can just go through the ship, or simply reverse direction, but not the same. :(

Edited by diane.in.ny

Only on Deck 15. But that is exposed to the sun and weather. We loved the Deck 7 full promenade and missed it. Sure, when you get aft you can just go through the ship, or simply reverse direction, but not the same. :(

Island princess don't have the two things I liked the most from my first cruise

1. International cafe

2. A walk around the ship ( guess will have to make do by going through the ship )

Edited by sanchari

Now Island princess don't have the two things I liked the most from my first cruise

1. International cafe

2. A walk around the ship ( guess will have to make do by going through the ship )

The international café IS gone but the coffee bar (that has pastries in the morning) is still there on (was it?) Deck 5

Depends on the itinerary. We sailed between Sicily and the toe of Italy's boot and saw land. Saw land sailing in the Greek Isles. Sailing into and out of Istanbul took us through the Dardenelles.

Thank you. Sounds like you only see land in the obvious places and not when you're just out in the middle of the Med.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
I have a couple of questions. Is there an aft viewing area that is public space. Also can you tell me where the smoking areas are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can get some aft view from the top deck.

For smoking, there is a smoking lounge inside, and there is a smoking area on the top deck.

Who did you use for your private tour in Rome? On our last cruise we were in Rome on a Sunday and therefore concentrated on Ancient Rome. We will be spending a couple of days pre-cruise in Rome and want a tour that concentrates on the Vatican.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Who did you use for your private tour in Rome? On our last cruise we were in Rome on a Sunday and therefore concentrated on Ancient Rome. We will be spending a couple of days pre-cruise in Rome and want a tour that concentrates on the Vatican.

We had only one full day and wanted to cover as much territory as possible.

So we did a golf cart tour with Roberto from Gioia tours. It was fantastic. Roberto has been guiding tours in Rome for over 20 years and I'm sure he would be happy to work with you.

His email address is roberto@tours-europe.com and he always responded in a very timely fashion.

Please let him know Diane and Jerry sent you :)

You can get some aft view from the top deck.

For smoking, there is a smoking lounge inside, and there is a smoking area on the top deck.

Thank you for the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 5 weeks later...