Alaska Cruise In May 06

lightsout

Hey, everyboby just a few questions, first cruise ever on Carnival Spirit 8A Main deck can anyone tell me about it? Also does anyone know the Weather in May in Alaska, what type of clothing and such taken a Northbound cruise, any information or pics would be great about the ship places to see and all.We will have a balcony.

I live in the Northwest and travel into southeast Alaska for business often.

As for weather,,,plan on rain. Not a hard down pour, just a constant drizzle. Also plan on the temps to be in the 40's or 50's at night. MIGHT get into the low 60's during the day.

On the other hand, it's not as bad as it sounds. The area is absolutly beautiful.

Have fun

Hey, everyboby just a few questions, first cruise ever on Carnival Spirit 8A Main deck can anyone tell me about it? Also does anyone know the Weather in May in Alaska, what type of clothing and such taken a Northbound cruise, any information or pics would be great about the ship places to see and all.We will have a balcony.

I am going on the Spirit on May 17th, 2006. We are on the Main deck too...aft Cabins 4229 and 4231. Julie:D

Vancouver- Aquarium, Capilano Bridge both very nice, Grouse mtn- overpriced.

Ketchikan - SouthEast Seas Kayak- 1st Highlight of trip.

Skagway - White Pass railway with Bicycle down the mtn- Very cool. (My relatives went up and down on the train and said they were a little bored on the downhill)

Juneau - gold panning with salmon bake- just ok, nothing spectacular

Juneau - City tour with Mendenhall Glacier- Good Tour (we just walked off the boat and booked this in the parking lot next to the pier, lots of little stands)

Sitka- We just walked around, went to Raptor center maybe a mile and 1/2 on foot. It was pretty cool. Little aquarium and Salmon hatchery at the college was neat too.

Whittier- Prince william sound tours 6 hour wilderness cruise - 2nd highlight of trip.

Weather will be variable. Dress in layers- We wore pants that would convert to shorts, tshirt, sweater or sweatshirt, and a light rain coat. Took a backpack and just added or subtracted clothing as needed.

I posted a review of our experience in July on this site. Hope it helps.

You will need a wide range of attire, including a lined lightweight jacket, rain gear, knit hat, gloves, 2 pair of walking shoes. Along with the layers underneath. May has the best weather of the Alaska sailing season- on average.

How great we are in cabin 4208 on main deck, ever been on the Spirit before, this is our first cruise ever(Wow what a way to start) who all are you going with.I work for a Major Constrction Co. that builds Embassy's for the US. I work in the International Dept. Have you ever taken this trip before?

Just a thought... you may have reasons for choosing port side so this may not matter. Some say the starboard side is best for northbound and it's probably not too late to switch if you care to. Both sides will have excellent viewing on the inside passage from the balcony, but the land viewing is best from the starboard while sailing the gulf. My TA recommended starboard, and general consensus here seems to agree.

We had 5190 on the Carnival Spirit for our southbound in June 2005. I was rather seasick:D (until I discovered accupressure bands!) the first day and enjoyed lying on the bed with the drapes open and looking out towards land. We've booked starboard oceanview for our northbound Princess Sapphire Alaskan cruise for May 2006.

Alaska is truly a place of beauty and wonder!

Just a thought... you may have reasons for choosing port side so this may not matter. Some say the starboard side is best for northbound and it's probably not too late to switch if you care to. Both sides will have excellent viewing on the inside passage from the balcony, but the land viewing is best from the starboard while sailing the gulf. My TA recommended starboard, and general consensus here seems to agree.

Alaska is truly a place of beauty and wonder!

However, a great many of the ships sailing the gulf don't sail coastal with the land viewing WAY WAY out if at all. Gone are the days that they did this the entire voyage going to Valdez then College Fjords. Plenty now just cut across open ocean a good portion.

Archived