staying on the ship in port?

solseeker

We sail next weekend on 5 day going to Progresso and Cozumel. We are considering staying on the ship in Progresso, or just doing small amount of shopping at pier and then getting back on board. Has anyone spent most of a port day on board and what was it like?

Before anyone says "why go there if you don't want to see the port?", we have seen Progresso and Merida. We have been to Chichen Itza, and Uxmal. We have been to Izamal. There is pretty much nothing there we are interested in.

We chose this itinerary simply because the price and the timing was right.

I've been to Nassau several times so last year on Sunshine (my first solo cruise!) I got off the ship early, did a little shopping and got back on while most people were just getting off. I spent the day on the Serenity deck with an iPad and a bottle of Prosecco. It was by far the best day I've ever had on a cruise!!

We have gotten off the ship many times to just walk around the port area reboarding a couple of hours later. The ship is quiet, not much of a crowd around the lido deck. The food station lines are non existent. If you like a peaceful afternoon its worth staying on board.

We like to get off around lunch time and there are no lines. We like to have lunch, especially if we've heard good reviews on CC. I know, there are those of you who will say why pay for lunch when you can get it free on the ship!! If you're going some place new, why not try the cuisine? After an hour or so, we return to an almost empty ship.

It is a very luxurious feeling to stay on board at a port!

The whole ship feels like it is yours!

You can get a spa treatment,lounge by the pool, use the gym without a crowd and eat in your own quiet spot.

Of course you can also read, play a game(cards etc.) or just "honeymoon" and enjoy the peace and quiet for a short time until everyone else comes back on board!

We just returned from a B2B 21-day Journey cruise on Carnival Dream. We got off the ship FOUR times. Love having the ship to ourselves: pool is empty, serenity is empty, food areas are empty. It's like you're the only ones on the ship. Highly recommend it!

We just returned from a B2B 21-day Journey cruise on Carnival Dream. We got off the ship FOUR times. Love having the ship to ourselves: pool is empty, serenity is empty, food areas are empty. It's like you're the only ones on the ship. Highly recommend it!

Our last 4 day getaway on the Ecstasy we never got off! We live in Key West, so there's that, but, while we love Nachi Cocum, we docked too late in the day. We really enjoyed our time on board while everyone was off.

Last trip we never got off the ship at any of three port stops. It's great far less people to deal with. Only downside is you find some bars don't open until later in the day and some other services are downsized so staff can have time off. Never a big deal. D

So a little like having the ship to yourselves huh? I could really go for that!

Exactly. We found ourselves in some really comfy easy chairs with ottomans on the lido deck in Ocho Rios. Fell asleep it was sooo quiet. Heaven. Its also a great time to get some nice ship pictures both inside and out.

We sail next weekend on 5 day going to Progresso and Cozumel. We are considering staying on the ship in Progresso, or just doing small amount of shopping at pier and then getting back on board. Has anyone spent most of a port day on board and what was it like?

Before anyone says "why go there if you don't want to see the port?", we have seen Progresso and Merida. We have been to Chichen Itza, and Uxmal. We have been to Izamal. There is pretty much nothing there we are interested in.

We chose this itinerary simply because the price and the timing was right.

It's wonderful!!! Like having the ship to yourself! My DH and I very rarely get off the ship, we've been there, done that..

We have gotten off the ship many times to just walk around the port area reboarding a couple of hours later. The ship is quiet, not much of a crowd around the lido deck. The food station lines are non existent. If you like a peaceful afternoon its worth staying on board.

Ditto :D:D We love it. It's a totally different feeling from a sea day

Last Christmas, DW and I took a 3 day trip to the Bahamas from Miami on the Ecstasy. We decided to stay on board during our stop in Nassau, and it was one of the BEST times I've ever had on a cruise ship. We went to the Serenity Deck with a string of Corona Beers, Lido meals, and rum drinks. There were only FOUR other people on that deck with us all day. Sitting in the hot tub, watching other ships sail in, beer in hand, was pure heaven.

We have always gotten off the ship but this time, we're staying put. I've always said, "I don't cruise for the destinations...I cruise for the ship and weather". If I want to see St. Lucia, I'll book a resort. To suggest that you can experience a destination in 8 hours is ridiculous. At best, you can get a taste and decide if you want to grab a resort there sometime.

We're on Sunshine, Feb 5-13, 2016... Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk. I chose this cruise for the guaranteed weather in Feb.. not the islands. I might get off the ship in Grand Turk as I've read some great posts about Jacks Shack on the beach and it really is only a 5 minute walk from ship.

I've always been amazed by the ships and can think of nothing better than sitting on the deck with a margarita in hand... just cruisin'...on a sunny afternoon!

We have always gotten off the ship but this time, we're staying put. I've always said, "I don't cruise for the destinations...I cruise for the ship and weather". If I want to see St. Lucia, I'll book a resort. To suggest that you can experience a destination in 8 hours is ridiculous. At best, you can get a taste and decide if you want to grab a resort there sometime.

We're on Sunshine, Feb 5-13, 2016... Aruba, Bonaire, Grand Turk. I chose this cruise for the guaranteed weather in Feb.. not the islands. I might get off the ship in Grand Turk as I've read some great posts about Jacks Shack on the beach and it really is only a 5 minute walk from ship.

I've always been amazed by the ships and can think of nothing better than sitting on the deck with a margarita in hand... just cruisin'...on a sunny afternoon!

We did this itinerary on Liberty in January, but have been to GT a bunch of times. Was not impressed with Bonaire. We were the lst CCL ship to ever sail there. Would definitely make that a "ship/sea day." But go ashore in Aruba and just wander the streets, maybe stop for a drink. It is such a pretty place! The buildings are so pretty IMO. And GT!!! NO WAY you are staying on the ship! It is such an easy port of call, walk off, sit your fanny on a lounger on the beach and swim in the beautiful water or do the Margaritaville scene. No matter what, it is a GREAT beach day! Never felt the need to walk down to Jack's Shack, but if you are interested, take a walk to the right where you get off the "pier" and there is an awesome "conch shell cemetary." It is a very very pretty place to walk. It is really my favorite port of call.

OP, have stayed on ship many times on a port day and posters above have given you good advice, but don't pass up something that you will regret when you are back home. Do research! As others have said, many places, like Nassau, you can get off the ship and do some shopping for an hour and get right back on and relax for the rest of the day! Have a great cruise!!! ;);)

We did this itinerary on Liberty in January, but have been to GT a bunch of times. Was not impressed with Bonaire. We were the lst CCL ship to ever sail there. Would definitely make that a "ship/sea day." But go ashore in Aruba and just wander the streets, maybe stop for a drink. It is such a pretty place! The buildings are so pretty IMO. And GT!!! NO WAY you are staying on the ship! It is such an easy port of call, walk off, sit your fanny on a lounger on the beach and swim in the beautiful water or do the Margaritaville scene. No matter what, it is a GREAT beach day! Never felt the need to walk down to Jack's Shack, but if you are interested, take a walk to the right where you get off the "pier" and there is an awesome "conch shell cemetary." It is a very very pretty place to walk. It is really my favorite port of call.

OP, have stayed on ship many times on a port day and posters above have given you good advice, but don't pass up something that you will regret when you are back home. Do research! As others have said, many places, like Nassau, you can get off the ship and do some shopping for an hour and get right back on and relax for the rest of the day! Have a great cruise!!! ;);)

Oddly, Bonaire was where I was considering getting off for some snorkelling. I'm not the most experienced cruiser but combined with my other travels, I find shopping at the pier and tourist area shops to be the same "cookie cutter" trinkets at every stop. However, I've never done the "downtown" shopping thing. I assume though, that with these destinations being so small, the "downtown" shops are just as touristy as the pier.

I've never been a big fan of the "cookie cutter" cruise port and beach resort setups but I understand why they exist and at some level, support them. I'm an "off the beaten path" kind of traveler. One of my favorite things to do is talk with locals and learn about their lives. BTW, this is one of my favorite things about cruising...talking with the staff from all over the world.

However, you have a great point... there is nothing wrong with walking off the ship as soon as it ports, walking around for a couple of hours, then heading back to the ship for brunch and mimosas.

Oddly, Bonaire was where I was considering getting off for some snorkelling. I'm not the most experienced cruiser but combined with my other travels, I find shopping at the pier and tourist area shops to be the same "cookie cutter" trinkets at every stop. However, I've never done the "downtown" shopping thing. I assume though, that with these destinations being so small, the "downtown" shops are just as touristy as the pier.

I've never been a big fan of the "cookie cutter" cruise port and beach resort setups but I understand why they exist and at some level, support them. I'm an "off the beaten path" kind of traveler. One of my favorite things to do is talk with locals and learn about their lives. BTW, this is one of my favorite things about cruising...talking with the staff from all over the world.

However, you have a great point... there is nothing wrong with walking off the ship as soon as it ports, walking around for a couple of hours, then heading back to the ship for brunch and mimosas.

We don't snorkel, but if you find out Bonaire has good snorkeling, go for it. We just did a tour. The 2nd time we went we just walked around. I just think Aruba has pretty colors and architecture which is why I like to walk around the "town." And one of my favorite things to do is to get a taxi and have a tour of "the real island" aka where the locals live, where they shop and go to school, etc. Just do your research and have a great time!