Another Newbie Question :-)

NeilMak

We are leaving in a couple of days -

Question - I understand that we have to carry our passports with us when we leave the ship to allow us back on the ship - true?

If true how do we handle them when we go to the beach and go in for a swim?

Nervous to leave them on the beach...

Thanks in advance!

You do not have to tote your passports on the Caribbean islands.

What you need is your sea pass card and on some islands a photo id. That can also be a driver's license. Lock your passport in your cabin safe.

We photo copy our passports and put them in a zip lock bag. We only take a driver's license off the ship. The zip lock goes in my purse or pocket.

If you are going to a beach you do want to secure your sea pass cards, any id's, and money. Do not leave them unattended. There are waterproof pouches that you can get at any sporting goods stores or WalMart type stores that you can attach to your swimwear.

Check with the service desk. I can't remember the last time we took any thing other than our Sea Pass when we got off. A photo ID is 'recommended'. We take a Credit card for the wifester to shop with.:D

image.jpg.5c6d2d5feb9316026dbb7c5894dd2a44.jpg

Edited by wallie5446

We leave our driver's licenses and passports locked in the safe and only take a photocopy of the passport off the ship with us in ports.

That works well as photo ID and is so much easier to replace if lost or stolen than a passport or driver's license would be.

But at any port where we are going to be driving, of course we take our driver's licenses as well.

We only take the passports off the ship at the few ports where it is necessary.

(They let you know if you are stopping at a port where you will need to have your passport with you.)

We also bring a secondary credit card that has a low limit to use for shopping in ports and to pay for private tours that accept credit cards.

If it should ever be compromised or stolen, we would just notify the credit card company and cancel it. (That way we would lose nothing and have no liability.)

Then we would still have the main credit card, that we leave locked in the stateroom safe, available to use.

Edited by varoo

We are leaving in a couple of days -

Question - I understand that we have to carry our passports with us when we leave the ship to allow us back on the ship - true?

If true how do we handle them when we go to the beach and go in for a swim?

Nervous to leave them on the beach...

Thanks in advance!

Do not leave a passport unattended. If you are going to the beach leave your passport in the cabin safe, have someone stay with your belongings (always a good idea), or get a passport card and keep it on your person.

You will need photo id in a number of ports to get back into the port area (along with your sea pass card). Generally a passport or passport card is best, but drivers licenses may also be accepted.

If one is planning a significant purchase with a credit card, having a passport to establish identity can sometimes be quite helpful.

I do like to take my passport ashore. It is a personal choice. I simply feel more comfortable with it on my person when I am in a foreign country.

Edited by broberts

Can I also suggest a lanyard for use off the ship generally? Pick pocketing is a real issue almost world wide. We have two. One is a general canvas type which will take driving licences, a credit card, sea passes and a few dollars. We have another waterproof one ideal for when swimming.

Please don't let my comments put you off cruising, some of the safest travel in the world but a little preventative action can save a lot of hassle.

Have a great cruise!

For the beach, those waterproof holders are great. Put around your waist and they will hold cash, cards, cell phone --- so you just have to have your towel on the sand. Safe for swimming, snorkeling, etc.

Count us among those who carry their passports with them everywhere when we're not in the U.S.

For the beach, those waterproof holders are great. Put around your waist and they will hold cash, cards, cell phone --- so you just have to have your towel on the sand. Safe for swimming, snorkeling, etc.

Count us among those who carry their passports with them everywhere when we're not in the U.S.

A caution to first time users, don't let the excitement of finally being on the beach cause you to be less than attentive when closing the pouch. I lost a cell phone and had to replace my water damaged passport as a result of my first visit to Trunk Bay. :o

The ship will let you know when it is necessary for you to carry your passport with you off the ship. In all our cruises, many in Europe/Africa, I can only think of once or twice that we were told to take our passports off the ship. In some countries the ship collects your passport and keeps them while you are off the ship.

We do carry a photocopy of our passports with us in case we have a need, such as left behind or injury.

...We do carry a photocopy of our passports with us in case we have a need, such as left behind or injury.

In my experience a photocopy is only useful as a convenient recording of passport number, etc. I can't imagine it being accepted in place of the real thing by any government official.

In my experience a photocopy is only useful as a convenient recording of passport number, etc. I can't imagine it being accepted in place of the real thing by any government official.

If you needed to go to an American Embassy having the photocopies would help in getting you the proper documents to return home. Other than that they have no purpose.

We were told to take passport ashore during our Hawaii cruise. We never take the passports out of the safe once we embark, if we can avoid it. We have a colour photocopy of our passport photo page. Only once was this rejected by the port security staff. They made us stand to one side while everyone else went onwards to the ship. A member of the ship security got out a list of all the passengers and checked our names from our cruise cards. Of course we got back on board!

Take a photocopy, be prepared to be held up but don't worry that they will stop you from re boarding.