Meet & Mingle UK cruising

We are booked on a RCI cruise next May sailing from Southampton in the UK. We have only come across this forum this year and have signed up for the Roll Call and with RCI.

What I have noticed is that US citizens seem to embrace this and looking at how many people turn up, there are well supported. Whereas Indy is well over 75% full for next May, but there is only just over 20 people signed up for the meet and mingle.

Is this a cultural thing ?

I follow the message boards every day and find them very informative and on some sailings from the the US there is over a hundred people attending the meet and mingle.

It could be an awareness thing. I have done most of my cruises out of the US, and one from Barcelona. To be honest, I haven't really paid much attention to the numbers, but it may be just down to people outside the US not being as aware as those in the US as to what the Meet & Mingle is about. Also, it could be down to a social thing. How sociable are those sailing from the UK port compared to the US port? What are the demographics?

Hi,

My wife and I enjoy meeting other cruisers and are prepared to chat to anyone but we would never go to one of the meet and mingle events as it feels to pushy in trying to get people together.

Each to their own, if that floats your boat, then great but not mine.

Pete

We always sign up and attend the meet and mingle and usually find some other Brits there too.

I don't think its cultural, its just about the make up of posters on CC, there is a much higher percentage of American posters than those from other countries therefore more Americans signed up. It's getting better though, when I first joined in 2003 there were very few Brits posting compared to these days:)

Julie

On our first 3 cruise all on the Celebrity Eclipse, we attended the sailaway party as we were leaving Southampton, good to put faces to the people who we have been chatting too.

Also attended the meet and mingle the next day, we have always had a good time.... Now having also sailed with P & O 3 times we have had one small get together maybe 8 / 10 people turning up :(

This May we sailed on the Explorer of the Seas out of Southampton, great meet and mingle crowd turned up { Mainly Americans} and a few brits :)

Snapshot of the meet and greet May 2015

party_animals_e0.gif

Callyscally :D

I think those who've said it's a cultural thing are right and it's also about awareness as well. I went to the cruise show in London last year (I wouldn't recommend it, I really found it a waste of time lol - all the stands were manned by people who seemed to know less about cruising than the people they were talking to!) - I was disappointed by the Cruise Critic stand as I felt they should have used it as an opportunity to raise awareness of the site and be approaching people, this wasn't the case, if you didn't approach them there was no interaction at all and there was nothing on the stand to draw you in if you didn't already know who they were.

Since signing up for this site we always join in the roll call and sign up for the M&M and have been to some great ones (and some not so great). Some roll calls seem to really take off and I can't wait to meet the people I've been chatting to on here. I know it's not everybody's style but I like to use the roll call for getting to know people and not just arranging tours etc and it's that sort of roll call that I love. My advice to anybody would be to get on the roll call and join in, it's no good just reading it because even though you may feel you know the people on there, if you haven't joined in they won't know you ;)

Gill

The person who started the roll call that I joined put a posting on in April, but then nothing since !

They'll probably come back nearer the cruise and say how much they're looking forward to meeting everybody :D. I hope you've had other people join in and you get a good roll call - it all adds to the excitement.

Gill

The person who started the roll call that I joined put a posting on in April, but then nothing since !

This is not unusual Mark. There will be people signing up for the Meet and Mingle who won't turn up on the day. I was very surprised when I was told that some people post on the roll call who are not actually on the cruise. I was very sceptical about this until l arranged a pre-cruise dinner the night before we sailed from Southampton for our roll call. One poster was very helpful with advice on restaurants etc. He was to attend the dinner. He didn't turn up and what's more, he wasn't on the cruise!!! I'm sure you will get more posters nearer the date of your cruise. I have started a roll call for our June cruise on the Jewel and so far had 2 responses and 1 of those is from the US.

Hi, We're Brits and always sign up for the Meet and Mingle. Usually get nibbles and a free raffle plus a chance to chat to fellow CC members. Not had a bad one yet.

John and Helen:):)

If you are not a part of the solution then you are a part of the problem!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is not unusual Mark. There will be people signing up for the Meet and Mingle who won't turn up on the day. I was very surprised when I was told that some people post on the roll call who are not actually on the cruise. I was very sceptical about this until l arranged a pre-cruise dinner the night before we sailed from Southampton for our roll call. One poster was very helpful with advice on restaurants etc. He was to attend the dinner. He didn't turn up and what's more, he wasn't on the cruise!!! I'm sure you will get more posters nearer the date of your cruise. I have started a roll call for our June cruise on the Jewel and so far had 2 responses and 1 of those is from the US.

Strange as it may seem, nobody wants to do a pre-cruise dinner with me when I go to Bayonne for my next cruise. :(

I think there are plenty of people signed up for our M&M, but I am guessing that the majority are going to be US folks. I signed up for M&M, mainly because I am a solo cruiser and also a bit active on the Roll Call. But I am part of the exception rather than the rule.

There are quite a few on our roll call who do put postings on. So it is active .

But I think people are right that nearer the time it should get busier.

Hi Mark,

I see you are going on the Indy next May, we are thinking of trying the Indy next year. Any chance you could let us know what the ship is like and how good a time you had ?

John :)

We have been on Indy once in 2013 and had a fantastic time. We have been on P&O Azura twice and overall prefer Indy. The layout of the ship is really good compared with the Azura.

Some highlights are the Royal Promenade which is a central hub of the ship. The main dining room is really impressive with the design and the central chandelier is massive.

Never went on the flow rider, but my son is planning on going on next year. Watched one of the ice shows which was very professional.

I would recommend the ship and suggest that you check out You tube as there are thousands of videos showing the ship