System won't allow booking

ILOVEHI50

Just checking to see if anybody else has ever run into this. I am trying to price a JR Suite Gty cabin on May 16th, 2016 Explorer of the Seas. For 2 people the price is currently showing $1264 plus $254.78 taxes. But when I change it to 1 person, the JR Suite Gty cabin is not showing as available, and it goes to the option of selecting a JR Suite cabin which is $2038 plus $127.39 taxes. Why is the JR Suite Gty not available to book for just 1 person? I understand not being able to book more than 2 people in the cabin; but I don't understand not being able to book just 1 person. Any thoughts?

Edited by ILOVEHI50

The pricing is for 2 so when you change that....

Pricing Terms & Conditions

•Prices are per person, cruise only, based on double occupancy, reflect promotional savings (if any), for new individual bookings, are subject to change and availability. Taxes, fees and port expenses are subject to change. Additional terms and conditions apply to offers; click on the respective link for offer details. "Deals" pricing reflects the special rate(s) you may be eligible for. Proof of eligibility required. If eligibility cannot be validated, you will be charged the standard rate or denied boarding.

Call, maybe they will give it to you

Just checking to see if anybody else has ever run into this. I am trying to price a JR Suite Gty cabin on May 16th, 2016 Explorer of the Seas. For 2 people the price is currently showing $1264 plus $254.78 taxes. But when I change it to 1 person, the JR Suite Gty cabin is not showing as available, and it goes to the option of selecting a JR Suite cabin which is $2038 plus $127.39 taxes. Why is the JR Suite Gty not available to book for just 1 person? I understand not being able to book more than 2 people in the cabin; but I don't understand not being able to book just 1 person. Any thoughts?

It is EXTREMELY common that they will not open a guarantee category for a solo.

But as suggested above, call. You may be able to talk them into it.

;)

As a frequent solo traveler, I have commonly seen that I am unable to book certain cabins as a solo that are available for 2 or more people (on more than one cruise line). There's probably a variety of reasons they do it based on known purchase (and spending!) patterns.

The oddest situation I saw was one that I took advantage of. I was blocked from booking a balcony cabin as a solo on a short-notice Mediterranean cruise. I assume because they preferred the on-board spending of 2 people in that cabin and chances were still good that they might actually get 2 people in the cabin. However, they WOULD let me book an ocean view family cabin at the front of the ship with 2 large circular windows (it held 6 people). The price to book it on short notice was roughly the same as the balcony would have been. I was so confused looking at the price online that I called Royal to confirm it with an agent. The rep confirmed it and said "you'd be crazy not to grab this cabin at this price). So I grabbed it. It was huge for a solo traveler and I didn't miss the balcony one bit. I assumed they didn't think they would get a family to fill it on short notice due to more complex logistics of family travel. So they were fine with anyone who would book it.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Thanks everybody for your replies. I've never gone solo, and am not sure I would on this one either; but I was just trying to check the prices. The one way to get around this is to add my husband as the second person.

Edited by ILOVEHI50

Book it for 2. Put a friends name in as the second person. Have them be a no show at the pier. Taxes for the second person will be refunded.

I hope this doesn't cause problems to ask, but does this work somewhat reliably? I cruise solo and it stings to see that $499 somehow become $1200 when there is only one person. (Just making up numbers here.) Or to not be able to book guarantee at all.

I hope this doesn't cause problems to ask, but does this work somewhat reliably? I cruise solo and it stings to see that $499 somehow become $1200 when there is only one person. (Just making up numbers here.) Or to not be able to book guarantee at all.

It works, but I would always call Crown and Anchor and see if they will let you book the cabin over the phone. I have had success doing that in the past.