Starting Point

Californiacruizers

Hello Everyone,

Several friends have been talking about a possible Disney Cruise. On a whim I volunteered to pull some information together for our group of perspective travelers (What have I gotten myself into). I have cruised before yet never on Disney. A handful of us reside in Los Angeles, but I am not thrilled about a Costal or Mexican Rivera Cruise. I personally love love love the Caribbean. I have a few questions for those of you who are familiar with DCL and have planned or be part of a group of travelers:

1.) Would it be best to book via DCL or with a travel agent?

2.) Are group Discounts normally offered?

3.) What is the experience like for anyone sailing DCL without Kids( we have a few in the group who have yet to experience parenthood) ?

4.) Will we get the biggest bang for our bucks on DCL?

5.) Will 4 days on DCL really give one the time to really unwind?

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Disney is an expensive children/family line.I would concentrate on a more suitable young adult oriented ship at half the price.Your friends, assuming they are budget conscious, would not be happy on DCL and its pricepoint.

Disney is an expensive children/family line.I would concentrate on a more suitable young adult oriented ship at half the price.Your friends, assuming they are budget conscious, would not be happy on DCL and its pricepoint.

I'm sorry, but how do you know OPs friends will not be happy on DCL. How do you know what's "more suitable" for them?

We started cruising DCL after our kids were old enough to leave at home. We've never cruised with anyone under the age of 18. On DCL. And everyone enjoyed it.

Yes, DCL is pricier than other cruiselines on the same itineraries, but we love DCL's attention to detail and service.

Back to the original questions:

OP, if you have no experience with DCL cruising (and it appears you don't) I'd suggest a Disney Cruise travel agent. Not necessarily the person you talk to when you call DCL on the phone, but a travel agent that's gone through the Disney-specific training to be familiar with the product. Preferably one who's taken one or two DCL cruises themselves.

As far as I know, there are no group discounts.

A 4 night cruise (is that what you're asking about?) is a nice introduction to the DCL experience, but you certainly won't be able to do "everything". Depending on what you fill your time with, you can unwind on a short cruise, or not.

Edited by Shmoo here

Hello Everyone,

Several friends have been talking about a possible Disney Cruise. On a whim I volunteered to pull some information together for our group of perspective travelers (What have I gotten myself into). I have cruised before yet never on Disney. A handful of us reside in Los Angeles, but I am not thrilled about a Costal or Mexican Rivera Cruise. I personally love love love the Caribbean. I have a few questions for those of you who are familiar with DCL and have planned or be part of a group of travelers:

1.) Would it be best to book via DCL or with a travel agent?

2.) Are group Discounts normally offered?

3.) What is the experience like for anyone sailing DCL without Kids( we have a few in the group who have yet to experience parenthood) ?

4.) Will we get the biggest bang for our bucks on DCL?

5.) Will 4 days on DCL really give one the time to really unwind?

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

Personally, I would say unless the majority of the group are fans of Disney, there are other lines that can offer you the same service and in some cases better facilities than DCL can at a considerable amount less.

If you book via a TA, they will most likely offer you an onboard credit for using their service. If you book via the DCL website you will not get that.

As for cruising on DCL without kids, there are a few threads for your friends to read up on.

Here are a couple:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2256911

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1900546

I think some in your party may see the value in paying so much extra for a DCL cruise, and some not so much. And personal expectations may differ. That is why I don't think you will get the biggest bang for your buck as a group. Some may some will not.

4 days will be a taster to cruising on DCL. In your situation, having many differing situations within your friend circle, I think that is the right amount of time aboard a ship to find out of you all enjoy it. That said, as above, unless you are spending more time on the east coast after or before your cruise, that is a very long expensive trip to make for a 4 night cruise!

I hope thats helpful, and good luck in making a decision!

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If I were organizing a group cruise on ANY line, I would use a good TA who has cruised on that line themselves. There are a couple of really good on line TAs who also have 800 numbers and have been on all the DCL ships. We aren't allowed to name agents or agencies here, but I'd use one of the true experts. The nice thing about working this way with the group is that you can tell the agent what the group has decided they want, but then have each cabin's people call and do their own booking. And the agency will give you an on board credit as a thanks!

DCL used to give a $50 discount to a group booking more than 8 cabins BUT that meant no other discounts were available. You can get that much by using a Disney Visa card!

I would not fly across the country for a 4 night cruise.

The biggest bang for the buck is when traditional schools are in session--September, January, etc. tend to be good months for discounts. BUT DCL prices have gone thru the roof recently. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a good value on DCL. After 30+ DCL cruises, we have 2 booked on other lines (yes, I've done intermittent other lines before, but not like this!) Why? Simple. I can get a balcony on another line for less than an inside cabin on DCL. Phrased another way, we can get a balcony for half of the per diem rate of an inside on DCL. That's after including all taxes, fees, etc. DCL is also adding more "additional charge" items on their ships--much less of the "all inclusive" concept. We MAY do one more DCL cruise, but I tend to doubt it.

Thank you all for your responses. For the most part everyone in my party have children with the exception of one or two people. The children vary in ages my 3 year old daughter is the youngest of the children. With the exception of 2 individuals we all live in Los Angeles and are only 25 mins away from Disneyland. I figured a 4 day would be ideal since we all have different school/work schedules. We have all sailed other lines before, and from what we have heard DCL is the “Best Family Cruise Experience Ever”, I have to admit I had a bit of sticker shock, but from what I have read/heard DCL is work the price.I am going to look into a DCL travel agent. Hopefully this will be a memorable trip for us all.

Thank you again for your responses.