Yukon Railway excursion from Skagway

cafelovercanada

I was looking through the Princess excursions out of Skagway. I've heard from family that the train excursion is well worth the time/money. Looking for feedback from anyone who has taken any of the excursions ... Which ones are worthwhile, which ones should we avoid ... I would dearly love to visit the Yukon on this trip as I doubt we'll ever get this close again! Looking forward to your recommendations

Thoughts....

• left side up or right side down the train to get the best view
  • the train goes three different distances. Summit return, Fraser, and beyond. The shorter Summit return does not require a passport to enter Canada. Fraser return allows you to see more micro-climates (including Tormented Valley) and combine your trip with a bus for more to see.
  • there are several bus combo's. I have done the Yukon combo that takes you into Carcross, I have also done the Best Of Skagway that includes Liarsville and the Red Onion. Love both for different reasons and experiences.
  • I prefer the bus up and train down.... with my luck.... the weather was better in the afternoon.
  • Skagway is my fav port... after Vancouver.

0xHCn0IkjUE

Edited by xlxo

Details are what's important in looking at White Pass options. There are 3 different trains.

Round trip- which does NOT get into the Yukon, and does NOT need any passports. There is a one way- in each direction train Skagway/Fraser. This is BC. From that point, you can return to Skagway by the Klondike Highway which allows time for other touring.

OR you can book a combo tour that goes into the Yukon, with Emerald Lake the usual turnaround. There are various inclusions- with Caribou Crossing being of some interest for some. Can add a sled dog ride. Going independent is superior with having smaller groups and more stops.

Finally- for any rail fan- The Lake Bennett train- is a "must" do. :) This train does go into the Yukon, to Carcross. Klondike Highway including Emerald Lake is the usual road trip.

As reported many times, Liarsville is hokey and enjoyed by some people. A good salmon bake and totally fake gold camp.

The Red Onion??? All you have to do, is walk in during any port time- on your own- you do not need any "tour" to go there. If you want to take the Brothel tour- just go, simple.

I am interested in this information as well. How was the trip to Liarsville with the Red Onion? I have seen mixed reviews on Liarsville, any info is helpful.
On my Best of Skagway tour...

Liarsville offers a historic perspective of Skagway in an entertaining way.

[YOUTUBE]tzb8VtM60kw[/YOUTUBE]

The Red Onion offers great lip service across the street from the White Pass train station. Get the charity souvenior calender!

[YOUTUBE]hMzsSmWFjcw[/YOUTUBE]

On my Best of Skagway tour...

Liarsville offers a historic perspective of Skagway in an entertaining way.

[YOUTUBE]tzb8VtM60kw[/YOUTUBE]

The Red Onion offers great lip service across the street from the White Pass train station. Get the charity souvenior calender!

[YOUTUBE]hMzsSmWFjcw[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks so much for the info I was looking at the Best of Skagway as one of the options, thank you again. Having fun exploring everything.

Just to say: The Yukon Suspension Bridge was one of our favorite parts of the tour. We much enjoyed the train ride as well.

You are a rare poster claiming this. :) It's quite overpriced, with Capilano Suspension Bridge far superior. one negative- it isn't even in the Yukon. :)

I have seen reviews that the railway is much more scenic and superior to the bus tours that go to Emerald Lake. Then I have also seen reviews that state the exact opposite, that the bus tour was superior because it goes further into more scenic territory and you can stop often along the way for photographs. They are the same price, though the bus tour is longer and includes lunch. Is the railway really much better?

Well, since the Regent excursion was included in the price of our cruise, I did not even bother myself with the cost. I like Capilano better, but we enjoyed the "Yukon" bridge every bit as much as we enjoyed the train. Each to his/her own.

I have seen reviews that the railway is much more scenic and superior to the bus tours that go to Emerald Lake. Then I have also seen reviews that state the exact opposite, that the bus tour was superior because it goes further into more scenic territory and you can stop often along the way for photographs. They are the same price, though the bus tour is longer and includes lunch. Is the railway really much better?

The train is not for everyone, but your "exact opposite" reference is skewed- fact- the White Pass RR comparing the SAME distance is more scenic.

Reasons to take the train, should be because someone likes train tours, not because "someone" says to.

For those who have the interest in history, and enjoy train travel- it could be a "must" for them. With the train, there is the option to go further by road, if chosen to do so. A big rail fan :) and someone, again interested in history the Carcross, Lake Bennett train would be an excellent tour to consider. It wouldn't be for someone, being dragged along.

There are many combo tours that include "lunch", if that is really any priority? I don't find the usual stop of Caribou Crossing, anything but so so at best. I like my choice of the Chilkoot Bakery, :) which the vendor I use offers, or the Lake Bennett train, included lunch is also good, but no choices, except to refuse items.

Bus one way and train the other gives you both. We had a great tour with the bus into the Yukon and then the train back from Fraser.

1- I would not buy excursions in Skagway through Princess way too $$$.

Chilkoot, Dyea Dave, and others offer superior tours in smaller buses with local guides.

I choose Chilkoot for my last Yukon excursion - I did the Bennett Scenic Journey - Train all the way to Carcross - Bus to Emerald Lake - then back to Skagway (dodging the princess buses :)) Good lunch at Bennett - along with a tour of that historic town.

Other ways to see the Yukon include bus all the way up and back (Chilkoot or Dyea Dave). Chilkoot offers lunch at Caribou Crossing, Dave leaves it up to you.

You can also rent a car and DIY.

I have not been to Liarsville or the Suspension Bridge - I was at the Gold Dredge before it was 40 below - it was OK but still a bit touristy at the end.

Bus one way and train the other gives you both. We had a great tour with the bus into the Yukon and then the train back from Fraser.

This is a great point, thank you for reminding me that this is an option. It is something I will look into.

1- I would not buy excursions in Skagway through Princess way too $$$.

Chilkoot, Dyea Dave, and others offer superior tours in smaller buses with local guides.

I choose Chilkoot for my last Yukon excursion - I did the Bennett Scenic Journey - Train all the way to Carcross - Bus to Emerald Lake - then back to Skagway (dodging the princess buses :)) Good lunch at Bennett - along with a tour of that historic town.

Other ways to see the Yukon include bus all the way up and back (Chilkoot or Dyea Dave). Chilkoot offers lunch at Caribou Crossing, Dave leaves it up to you.

You can also rent a car and DIY.

I have not been to Liarsville or the Suspension Bridge - I was at the Gold Dredge before it was 40 below - it was OK but still a bit touristy at the end.

Thanks bonvoyagie. Our TA mentioned in our initial meeting that he could spec out some "private" tours as he feels spending time waiting for 40 people to get on and off a tour bus is a waste of time. We didn't realize you could go to the Yukon other ways. This is an important factor as there will be 2 large ships in port on the same day as us! Thanks to your suggestion, we'll look into the alternative tour options in Skagway. Do you have any advice for the other ports - Ketchikan & Juneau?

I would take a look at http://www.cruiseportinsider.com for more ideas on what to do in the other ports.

The last time I went to AK in Juneau we did a small boat tour of Tracy Arm through our cruise line (NCL) done only because they were the only ones offering it when we were in port. It was also our third visit to Juneau and we were not interested in whale watching. Our ship went on to visit Glacier Bay. Sawyer Glacier was very active and calved several times while we sat there :)

I also got to see North Sawyer Glacier for the first time. You can do whale watching with several smaller vendors - they will usually send a vehicle to pick you up at the cruise docks - whale watching is done in Auke bay on the other side of Juneau from the cruise ship docks. There is also a gold mine in Juneau that offers tours along with the tram to the top of Mt Roberts - most of these attractions are available for walk up customers. Renting a car is also a popular option - there are not that many roads in Juneau and it is very hard to get lost :D

Ketchikan has several neat attractions - from Creek Street to the crab fisherman's tour. Seaplanes are all around for flights into Misty Fjords - charter fishing boats - also native culture. Most of the attractions are either cheaper or longer or just plain better not using the ship - BTW most of the time the cruise line just provides transportation.

Note: at least in Skagway Princess has the oldest fleet of buses and they usually hire college students to drive them :D

What a great site bonvoyagie! Thank you. This will be an invaluable resource as we are travelling with our adult children who all have different interests. This will give us a comprehensive look at everything each port has to offer. I especially like the On Your Own section which gives great ideas of touring without spending a lot if $$$$$.

Again, thanks for your feedback!

The op elicited a good response from several people, so at the risk of digression from the original topic, I will just say that the question concerning the other ports can be answered by searching them by port name, or you might even just call the city visitor bureau of these places, for great local info?

I have personally spent some time in each of them and I can briefly say that each is very unique, in their own way.

South to north, Victoria is my all time favorite city, primarily because Butchart gardens are located there!

Prince Rupert deserves a peruse because it is it is a port access to mid lower Canada.

Wrangle is an unspoiled fishing port that is now getting some tourism, but so far, not enough to be overrun.......

Finally, Icy Strait, is a new creation of the cruise industry which just happens to have a wonderful Native village just inland. If you should find yourself landed at ths port, your best bet will be to hasten thru the gauntlet of glitter and find the historic hamlet of Hoonah just beyond.......

Hope this helps!?!

Dyea Dave

Thank you, dyeadave. Yes, I have been doing reading about those three other ports (btw, I love Victoria as well, as who wouldn't, I suppose), but nothing particularly sparks my interest. I think that if we liked fishing it might, but nothing I read or look at suggests that the scenery (which is our main thing) compares to the scenery on the excursions from most of the other ports in Alaska.

Edited by poss

We booked a "train up/bus down" round trip thru Chilkoot--nice option, leaving us a lot of time in town in Skagway. I've said before that I think that the rail round trip would be kind of repetative, but that's just my opinion. (Also bears mentioning that the bus is a small 20-ish passenger minibus--not a huge motorcoach, so the tour didn't ever feel crowded.)

Edited by quercus alba