Remember the Italian Line Raphaello and Michaelangelo?

anne13

The one thing all these ships have in common is the oceans they sailed....for most the luxury 0f service & great food is remembered - but if they were just hotels it wouldnt be the same.  The reason I say this is that ever since the early 1970's when I took my first cruise(thank you Auntie Mame) it was the wonder of the ocean that keeps me coming back.....and certainly after a day of relaxing(after a nite of eating & drinking & dancing  in gay abandon) it was the ocean that rocked us to sleep....

One ship I loved but wanted to redesign was the Oceanic...it didnt have an aft pool.....tho the magrodome helped in the winter sailings.  I relish, love & need to go back to the ocean - it has brought me joy, great memories - even comforted me in the most difficult times of my life..... everything changes - even the waves - but I'll be back to dance across another ocean or two!!!

• Like 2

On 2/10/2022 at 3:29 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

The one thing all these ships have in common is the oceans they sailed....for most the luxury 0f service & great food is remembered - but if they were just hotels it wouldnt be the same.  The reason I say this is that ever since the early 1970's when I took my first cruise(thank you Auntie Mame) it was the wonder of the ocean that keeps me coming back.....and certainly after a day of relaxing(after a nite of eating & drinking & dancing  in gay abandon) it was the ocean that rocked us to sleep....

One ship I loved but wanted to redesign was the Oceanic...it didnt have an aft pool.....tho the magrodome helped in the winter sailings.  I relish, love & need to go back to the ocean - it has brought me joy, great memories - even comforted me in the most difficult times of my life..... everything changes - even the waves - but I'll be back to dance across another ocean or two!!!

“Call me Ishmael” Moby-Dick by Herman Melville. The call of the sea is timeless.  I first remember the thrill of the ocean when I was a child.  I was born and raised in North Central Massachusetts about 60 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.  I’ll never forget my first visits to the ocean.  I was fascinated…in a trance.  I was only seven years old that summer when the Andrea Doria sank of Nantucket…and I was glued to the TV.  I also remember all the publicity and excitement of the SS United States.  My fascination with ocean liners was instilled at an early age.  The following summer my grandfather took me for a weekend stay in Point Judith, Rhodesia Island.  We went fishing on his friends trawler…an old work boat with a Model T engine.  I was hooked, pardon the pun.  I have had a life-long love affair with the sea.  The thrill of my life came when I was able to sail on the Queen Elizabeth at the age of 16.  To this day…there is no feeling like standing on the deck of a moving ship at sea…and the sight of the ocean…and that feeling of complete isolation from the land and all those worldly cares.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

“Call me Ishmael” Moby-Dick by Herman Melville. The call of the sea is timeless.  I first remember the thrill of the ocean when I was a child.  I was born and raised in North Central Massachusetts about 60 miles from the Atlantic Ocean.  I’ll never forget my first visits to the ocean.  I was fascinated…in a trance.  I was only seven years old that summer when the Andrea Doria sank of Nantucket…and I was glued to the TV.  I also remember all the publicity and excitement of the SS United States.  My fascination with ocean liners was instilled at an early age.  The following summer my grandfather took me for a weekend stay in Point Judith, Rhodesia Island.  We went fishing on his friends trawler…an old work boat with a Model T engine.  I was hooked, pardon the pun.  I have had a life-long love affair with the sea.  The thrill of my life came when I was able to sail on the Queen Elizabeth at the age of 16.  To this day…there is no feeling like standing on the deck of a moving ship at sea…and the sight of the ocean…and that feeling of complete isolation from the land and all those worldly cares.

Here , Here  CGT... I grew up on the ocean(and currently am living 1 block away after 40 years in NYC, another island) but w my feet on the deck of a ship & the wind blowing about & the waves & spray performing in wild abandon, I am at my most happiest & most content......

Cheers to you CGT

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Here , Here  CGT... I grew up on the ocean(and currently am living 1 block away after 40 years in NYC, another island) but w my feet on the deck of a ship & the wind blowing about & the waves & spray performing in wild abandon, I am at my most happiest & most content......

Cheers to you CGT

Thank you Richard, I tried to edit (Rhodesia Island?? Rhode Island, of course…Damn auto spell!). I wanted to add a blurb about those late night walks on deck watching the waves break against the hull in splendid luminescence…truly mesmerizing.  And the way the July sunlight hit the sea around 6:00 PM and turned the sea a beautiful green.  We know how Ishmael felt.

• Like 1