Remember the Italian Line Raphaello and Michaelangelo?

anne13

A friend of mine had traveled on both the Raphaello and Michelangelo, sadly they didn't have too many souvenirs from their cruises, but of what they did have, I now have as they gave them to me. I got some nice postcards, and 3 Lp record albums from both ships. I will show photos of the nice record albums, unsure if anyone had ever seen these on their cruises? I also got a nice collection of 30 First Class  Michelanglo Menus, I got a pile of them from 1967 which I'll provide a photo for also. Also First Class Michelangelo Daily Programs. I hope will enjoy the photos. Let me know if you have ever seen these items before.

1966_bon_voyage_raffaello_record_album_by_wildelf34_dck8doz-pre.jpg

Michelangelo Programs.jpg

raffaello_record_album_by_wildelf34_dck3a05-pre.jpg

ss_michelangelo_menus_by_wildelf34_ddckb8l-fullview.jpg

tn_michelangelo_lp_front_by_wildelf34_dauisww-fullview.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, norboy76 said:

3 Lp record albums from both ships. 

The recording of musical groups seems to me to be a rarity of the souvenirs that are available from past ships.  I have one from Home Lines' Oceanic:  Romy Formico and the Favolosi.  Another by the Cruise Director on PFEL's Monterey during a Hawaiian Cruise.  

To me, these seem "different" than the CDs' that can be bought from some performers on the more recent cruise ships.  The previous ones seem more "cruise oriented" while the others are produced to promote the artist.  

• Like 1

Those are just a couple of my record albums, I also have:

1969: Come Aboard QE2 - Cunard

1980: Aleksandr Pushkin (soviet cruise ship)

1980: Mikhail Lermentov (soviet cruise ship, sank - 1 dead)

1969: Angelina Lauro - Lauro Lines, ship burnt to a crisp in 1979

1970's: Federico C - Costa Line

1969: Victoria - Incres Lines

1982: Holland America Lines

1970's: T.S.S. Fairsea & T.S.S. Fairwind - Sitmar

1960 - 1963: Matson Lines (Matsonia, Lurline)

1959: SS Homeric Donzelli Quintet

1960's: Stefan Batory - Polish Lines

Unknown Era: Franconia - Cunard

1962: Mauretania - Cunard

1950's: S.S. Nassau - Incres Lines

1960's: Grace Line (no ship names on it)

1960: Swedish American Line Postcard Record - it's a small 33 rpm record, but it's also a postcard, so a music playing postcard

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you Norboy!  Any chance of seeing the inside of some of the menus?  You have a great collection.  I hope it ends up in a maritime museum.

I can do my best to take photos of the Michelangelo menus and hope they'll be readable lol, ill do that on my next post for you and the others to see what the food's were. For the Michelangelo, I have:

Gala Dinner Menu, Atlantic Dinner Menus, Breakfast Menu, Lunch Menus, Dinner Menus, A Farewell Dinner Menus (All First Class)

I wont be selling these menus, I'll prob keep them until I'm gone lol, and I already sorta have them in a museum, as I have my own online museum for my entire ship collection, but it's on a site you have to create an account for, even to visit, but it's free to join. I'll also post some of the things listed on the daily programs too like events, movies in the ship's theater and such.

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, norboy76 said:

Those are just a couple of my record albums, I also have:

I never realized that recordings like yours were ever made!  Maybe I didn't visit the gift shops on the ships I sailed sufficiently?

Somewhere in my archives, I have a 45 rpm recording that I bought when Queen Elizabeth was berthed in Fort Lauderdale as a tourist attraction.  It is a recording of the sounds on the Bridge as the Master called for "finishing the engines" on her last revenue voyage as well as sounds of the whistle.  Have not listened to that record for years and now, with no device that plays a 45 rpm record, couldn't even if I wanted to do so.

7 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I can do my best to take photos of the Michelangelo menus and hope they'll be readable lol, ill do that on my next post for you and the others to see what the food's were. For the Michelangelo, I have:

Gala Dinner Menu, Atlantic Dinner Menus, Breakfast Menu, Lunch Menus, Dinner Menus, A Farewell Dinner Menus (All First Class)

I wont be selling these menus, I'll prob keep them until I'm gone lol, and I already sorta have them in a museum, as I have my own online museum for my entire ship collection, but it's on a site you have to create an account for, even to visit, but it's free to join. I'll also post some of the things listed on the daily programs too like events, movies in the ship's theater and such.

Thank you NB.  Looking forward to seeing the menus.

Some souvenirs from my Italian Line cruises with my parents… Geez…I was just a teenager.

1974 Michelangelo Farewell Menu – cover, menu and insert with some recipes.

1225823608_Mike1974-Farewell-1.JPG.f71a540bc891375322f834e129c92a7c.JPG

1690485700_Mike1974-Farewell-2.JPG.cfb94f6e2eda51087eeea191e17f5668.JPG

Ralph Michele was the Cruise Director…wonderful CD and so entertaining.  I think he was the CD on all three of my Italian Line cruises.

P1010777.JPG.fee77be1b6d2aae89a993897e8b23794.JPG

Record album from the Michelangelo 1974.  I got all the guys to autograph the back.  I think they were called the Simoncini Orchestra.

33180524_Mike1974-album-1.JPG.64ba92e5a7dc191c506843a45e5a1827.JPG

2144448141_Mike1974-albumback.JPG.5a93369c924e77ba5afadd65ec07d1ed.JPG

Shore Excursion List from 1976 Leonardo da Vinci cruise…  most of the tours were $7-10!

939613300_Leo1976-ShoreExcursions-1.JPG.efdc934ddfc710bcc21c9b6a4336d7bc.JPG

1733157464_Leo1976-ShoreExcursions-2.JPG.5e198bd974bb3ec221c6b701ec89d791.JPG

Italian Line 💖– simply the best!  (closest being Sitmar and Home Lines).  I’m glad I got to experience the ambiance of those times.  I still love cruising but it is a completely different entity now. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, marco said:

I'll have to check my bin up in the attic.  I'm pretty sure I have Cabin Class menu from the "Andrea Doria" it was the last eastbound sailing in 1956.

I have 2 postcards from the Andrea Doria, one is pre-maiden, it's stamped 1952, I also have a 1953 daily program, 1953 menu and a 1953 brochure for her that liner. I'll be starting a new topic on the Andrea Doria, including photos of my Andrea Doria Items.

Edited by norboy76
updated info
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, norboy76 said:

I have 2 postcards from the Andrea Doria, one is pre-maiden, it's stamped 1952, I also have a 1953 daily program, 1953 menu and a 1953 brochure for her that liner. I'll be starting a new topic on the Andrea Doria, including photos of my Andrea Doria Items.

Can you post them here?  We’d love to see them!

On 3/11/2021 at 6:23 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thank you NB.  Looking forward to seeing the menus.

here are a couple photos of my Michelangelo Menus. The *Gala Dinner* and *Farewell Dinner* and one of the covers. All the covers are of Italian renaissance paintings.

Gala Dinner Cover.jpg

Gala Dinner Menu.jpg

Farewell Dinner Menu.jpg

36 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Can you post them here?  We’d love to see them!

Sure, I also have items for a some of the ships it looks like you were on, I have items from the QE, SS France, TS Bremen, QE2, SS Norway, Summit. I also have postcards of some of the Italian Liners: Rex, Augustus, Cristoforo Columbo, Conte Grande, Vulcania, Saturnia (i also have a hat ribbon from the Saturnia), I also have an *Artists Impression* postcard for the SS Raffaello before she was built, Guilio Cesare, Roma, Neptunia.

Here are the Andrea Doria items I have.

1. 1953 Andrea Doria Brochure

2. 1953 Andrea Doria Daily Program

3. 1953 Andrea Doria Menu Cover

4. 1953 Andrea Doria Menu

5. 1952 Andrea Postcard Front

6. 1952 Andrea Doria Postcard Back

7. 1956 Andrea Doria Sinking Postcard

Andrea Doria Brochure.jpg

Andrea Doria Daily Program.jpg

Andrea Doria Menu Cover.jpg

Andrea Doria Cabin Menu.jpg

Andrea Doria Postcard.jpg

Andrea Doria 1952 Postcard Back.jpg

andrea doria sinking postcard.jpg

Edited by norboy76
updated info

4 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks CS.  Great memories...loved the menu.

I also have a thread for the various Italian lines you can check out too if interested under the what ever happened to section in the forum

• Like 2

19 hours ago, norboy76 said:

here are a couple photos

19 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

We’d love to see them!

Any suggestions as to what I might be able to do on my computer to more easily/clearly read the menus, etc.?  I increased magnification to 400x and it really didn't make much difference.  

24 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I loved your Andrea Doria ephemera...great viewing.

Thanks!

You're welcome, did you check out my Italian liners post on the forum? I posted more photos of my various Italian Liner items

• 2 months later...

I just read today that MSC is coming out w laundry product w smaller shops.

The goodold days are gone but I've enjoyed MSC further last 10 years or so.

Also the mid century designs are now in vogue...I was looking for a beach home & wanted to furnish it ala Italian Line or OCEANIC...its hard to find that furniture now.

Also in NYC after the demise of the Italian Line there were several restaurants that were started by former employees of Italian Line. Funny being land-based but the food & atmosphere was like being back onboard.

• Like 1

Rotterdam,  You mention ocean liner style furnishings.  I love that, too!  Two sets of easy chairs in our living room are based on photos of chairs in some of our books of ocean liners, and coffee tables are steamer trunks inherited from relatives who traveled with them.

And yes, we do have vintage ocean liner posters on the walls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

I just read today that MSC is coming out w laundry product w smaller shops.

The goodold days are gone but I've enjoyed MSC further last 10 years or so.

Also the mid century designs are now in vogue...

I have read that as well, but have not investigated the concept.  A luxury product on a smaller ship sounds very expensive.  Are you suggesting that the design of the ships are of the mid-20th Century design?  Not, the Celebrity Edge/Apex ugliness?