Choosing a balcony room on Caribbean Princess..

tammymacb

I'm sorry if my questions have gotten annoying. Especially since I'm not sailing until 2017 but with less than a month until booking day, I want my ducks in a row come December 3.

We're planning on booking the May 25th British Isles sailing. We'll be a party of at least 4. Me and DH in one room, good friends who travel with us in another. (Maybe a few more- not sure yet).

I want a balcony, friends are deciding if they want to spend the extra $$ for a balcony. Regardless we all want to be closer than our last DCL Norway cruise where we were on two different decks.

I'm thinking deck 10. Seriously considering the aft facing rooms ( there are only two and I'm booking at 0800) I'm also considering the same rooms on Deck 11. If the uncharge is too much, I may just book an aft balcony (I like that area in the ship) very near the back. Then, our friends could either go with a next door or across the hall room.

I know the rear facing will be big enough for us all to enjoy. Are the regular aft (non facing) large enough also?

Any other room choices I should consider?

I'm not planning on much sunning as it'll be cool I'm sure. Just want a nice quiet location on the ship which is also convenient.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

We are booked into one of the aft facing balcony cabins on deck 9 (Dolphin deck) next month and from my research you may want to also consider D-732 and D-733 as an alternative. These are side facing balcony cabins at the aft of the ship, from what I have read about them they were designed as handicap accessible cabins but the doors will not open wide enough for handicap access so are not marked as such. Princess shows that the beds can not be put together as a queen, however a recent thread shows photos of one of these cabins arranged with the beds set as a queen, it is just a tight squeeze to get past the corner of the foot of the bed, possibly a good trade off for larger overall space. If you opt for it I would take print outs of the photo of the cabin in queen mode in case the cabin steward says it can't be done.

We are booked into one of the aft facing balcony cabins on deck 9 (Dolphin deck) next month and from my research you may want to also consider D-732 and D-733 as an alternative. These are side facing balcony cabins at the aft of the ship, from what I have read about them they were designed as handicap accessible cabins but the doors will not open wide enough for handicap access so are not marked as such. Princess shows that the beds can not be put together as a queen, however a recent thread shows photos of one of these cabins arranged with the beds set as a queen, it is just a tight squeeze to get past the corner of the foot of the bed, possibly a good trade off for larger overall space. If you opt for it I would take print outs of the photo of the cabin in queen mode in case the cabin steward says it can't be done.
D732 and D733 are mini-suites and will be even more expensive than a balcony. They have an awkward arrangement if you try to configure the beds as a queen. Also, the bathrooms are accessible and don't have a tub like standard mini-suites. The advantage is an oversized balcony twice as large as any other mini-suite balcony.

...I know the rear facing will be big enough for us all to enjoy. Are the regular aft (non facing) large enough also?...
If the deck plans are correct (which is a big assumption), the Caribe deck aft Premium Balconies are essentially the same size as the other Caribe deck balconies. The Caribe deck balconies are about 9'x9' and are larger than other balconies which are approximately 9'x5'.

If you end up booking a mini-suite you can't beat Emerald 730 or 731 - the balconies are huge and great for group visits. The balcony is covered unlike Dolphin deck. Best cabins ever!

For a regular balcony Caribe 742 and 743 are larger than a normal Caribe balcony (which are already larger as someone pointed out).

All of the above mentioned balconies are at the very back of the ship - this may bother some people but we have stayed in all of these balconies several times and never had any issues.

Enjoy!!!!:):)

Apologies if you already know this but if you book identical balcony or mini suite cabins opposite each other then you could have quite a long walk to get to one another. The corridors for port and starboard cabins are quite separate. They only link together at the three staircases which are placed at the front, middle and aft of the ship.

If you end up booking a mini-suite you can't beat Emerald 730 or 731 - the balconies are huge and great for group visits. The balcony is covered unlike Dolphin deck. Best cabins ever!

For a regular balcony Caribe 742 and 743 are larger than a normal Caribe balcony (which are already larger as someone pointed out).

All of the above mentioned balconies are at the very back of the ship - this may bother some people but we have stayed in all of these balconies several times and never had any issues.

Enjoy!!!!:):)

Totally agree on Emerald. Great cabins.

If you are looking for a balcony instead of a mini-suite, C752 and C753 are good. They are aft facing balconies but on the side, so you have the aft view with some wrap around for side viewing. (Not a lot of wrap around, though, because part of the side of the balcony is steel.) The balconies are very large, too, with no obstructing beams. The only drawbacks are that there is a slight vibration in the aft area of the ship, and since the balcony is so deep, you lose some of the view when you are too far inside the cabin.

Edited by Mackenzie1

Not a problem with noise for us in E731 but can be an issue in E730. Posts have complained about loud bass from Club Fusion below on the last 2 port side cabins.

This picture of E730 makes me laugh every time (although I don't know if it's true):

maxresdefault.jpg

E730 has always been our favorite cabin. We usually book it as soon as it becomes available. The only time I've ever heard anything from Club Fusion was one time at the end of our cruise, I got a very bad cold. Couldn't sleep except propped up and I noticed some noise then.

• 2 weeks later...
We're planning the May 25th departure.

I definitely DON'T want to be above a club. I did a GTY once on Celebrity and ended up in the "bass" room and it was awful. I'm not deep sleeper.

Finally able to open the spreadsheet that Coral posted. We will be joining you on the May 25 cruise. The next one that includes Kirkwall is June 18. I grew up in the UK so am looking forward to visiting places that I've not been to. Hoping to have lots of independent tours :)

Caribe balconies are very nice, they are larger than other balconies, half covered and half in covered. I have stayed in the corner aft balconies and the offer a lot of room for balcony viewing. If you and the friends want to be side by side and open your balconies to be together I would suggest looking at the caribe deck. Baka would be my second choice.

I was on the Emerald on the T/A in October, and 2 of my friends had aft facing cabins ... one was in C752, which is a corner cabin with views both to the aft and a bit on the side.

The other one was in B750, which is one of those balconies with "the dreaded beam".

Both cabins were great, but of the two, if I were booking it, I would want to do the corner cabin. The beam made it a bit difficult to have 4-5 people sitting in a way to make conversation easy. To me the other plus to the corner balcony is that while one can hear the wake, the sound is less intense as compared B750.

Finally able to open the spreadsheet that Coral posted. We will be joining you on the May 25 cruise. The next one that includes Kirkwall is June 18. I grew up in the UK so am looking forward to visiting places that I've not been to. Hoping to have lots of independent tours :)

I'm hoping to do the same. I'm excited to start planning!

I have had A746, A747, R746, they have a angled balcony, great cabins.

If you have R746 balcony, your friends could have R750 or R748 Oceanview with porthole window across from R746.

I have been on the 12 day British Isles cruise in August 2013 on the Caribbean in an oceanview and the 8 day British Ilsle cruise in August 2015 on the Ocean in a balcony (paid upgrade from an oceanview). I found that I did not use the balcony very much as there was only 2 sea days.

I love taking a cup of coffee onto the balcony as we arrive in port and a glass of wine as we leave. Is there any unofficial "scenic cruising" on this cruise? Any recommendation for side of ship?

If you plan on May, you may not be sitting out much. I went August 2013 and August 2015, did not sit out much. August 2013, on a sea day, watching outdoor movie, with spring jacket and blanket.