Southern North Atlantic crossing in April?

ohmark

Thinking about a southern Atlantic crossing from Miami to Lisbon via the Caribbean and Dakar, Senegal in April. Any advice on temperatures and weather, and whether a veranda might be enjoyable that time of the year? Any other comment on the south Atlantic weather and how calm/rough the sea is likely to be that time of the year? (Understand it's impossible to predict, but wondering about tendencies.)

Thanks in advance.

We crossed from Miami to Barcelona via Bermuda and Madeira on Riviera in early May this year. Weather was largely fine and the sea wasn't rough. However, because the ship has to maintain a reasonably high speed to make the crossing it was always very windy on the balcony. You'll be further south than we were but I suspect that you will still find it a little cool outside when you're on the open ocean.

If you want to be able to use your veranda at top speeds and wind the aft of the ship would be where you want to be. We have never had a problem on the back verandas.

What you say seems to run counter to physics...Normaly the wind spilling over the forward superstructure gets broken and turned into a vortex that reconsolidates with vigor as it gets to the stern , gathering speed along the way. At the actual stern there is a low pressure, a void, and there is perfect calm. There is a first void which is just in back of the main super structure..like where the smoking section is and Pool deck bar....

One drawback is into this calm gets deposited all the stuff the wind , like a mini tornado ,would suck up .

I Agree that the ship will be making about 24 mph of wind and you can add that to the existing winds. Heading up the coast of Africa you could experience 40-50 mph wind on the veranda This will not be a problem in the carribe at all only when you cross.

Sea state should be modest to calm. If it were me would forget a veranda and grab an inside....

This question gets asked for almost every route in the world. If you cruise a lot I suggest you get a nautical book "Sailing Routes of the World" it gives all the areas of the world, time of year wind condition and direction, sea state and conditions. All serious navigators have it Its a fun read....like a farmers almanac of the ocean.

We have done this crossing a couple of times, most recently in April 15. Every time except the last we had really nice weather - sunny and temperatures in the 20°s C. The pool deck was very very busy. This year though it was cooler and rainy. We hardly sat outside at all.

We had the Owners Suite in the stern and certainly didn't have any wind to complain of on our terrace when were were able to sit out there. But on past crossings we have had accommodation on the sides of the ship and haven't felt any wind there either. I do understand though (from Churchill, our butler) that the people in the Vista suites in the front of the ship cannot use their terrace when the ship is underway because of the wind.

We did a similar cruise although in reverse direction in November 2013 (Barcelona to Rio). We had warm weather ... don't remember rain although it certainly could have happened and I've forgotten. We used our veranda frequently but we were in one of the aft OC cabins which may well have been more comfortable than on the sides or aft.

We have booked the Miami-Lisbon cruise for April 2017 as well.

Mura