"Do As The Locals Do"

SOShrink

Has anyone gone on the "Do As the locals do" Amsterdam Walking Tour? We went on the one in Venice last year which was fun and informative even though we had been to Venice several times as we have Amsterdam. The other issue is that the walking tour is offered the same time as the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum tours! We could theoretically go to those museums on our own. We particularly don't want to miss the new entrance hall of The Van Gogh. Too many choices, too little time, too much guilt if we don't do everything!

Don't know exactly which tour you are referring to [this one? http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/daily-tours/new-amsterdam.html], but you can certainly do the Van Gogh and Rijks on your own -- especially with the help of the Rick Steves' guidebook's detailed tour through each of those museums. Of course, Rick's book also has a detailed walking tour of Amsterdam that will cover pretty much the same things as the organized tour. So it all depends on whether you want to tag along listening to a local [but remember they won't have the handy Vox devices that the river boat tours use], or reading to yourself. I prefer to be able to set my own pace, especially in a museum.

Don't know exactly which tour you are referring to [this one? http://www.newamsterdamtours.com/daily-tours/new-amsterdam.html], but you can certainly do the Van Gogh and Rijks on your own -- especially with the help of the Rick Steves' guidebook's detailed tour through each of those museums. Of course, Rick's book also has a detailed walking tour of Amsterdam that will cover pretty much the same things as the organized tour. So it all depends on whether you want to tag along listening to a local [but remember they won't have the handy Vox devices that the river boat tours use], or reading to yourself. I prefer to be able to set my own pace, especially in a museum.

And if you're really pressed for time, the Rijks has it's most important works all together in the Hall of Honor. British Museum does/used to provide you with a pamphlet showing the most important items in the museum, where they are and what order you should travel in to see them all. I love that idea...if you're short on time you can see all the "must see" things without wandering around looking for things you're not really interested in.

Edited by Hydrokitty

And if you're really pressed for time, the Rijks has it's most important works all together in the Hall of Honor. British Museum does/used to provide you with a pamphlet showing the most important items in the museum, where they are and what order you should travel in to see them all. I love that idea...if you're short on time you can see all the "must see" things without wandering around looking for things you're not really interested in.

Even though they're not together, you can still "do a Louvre" in 15 minutes by making a straight line for Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, Mona Lisa -- I'm outta here! Or you can spend days. But nothing else comes close to those three. Same in most museums, I guess. But we really could spend a whole day in the Van Gogh Museum -- leave time for the top floor where there's a great exhibit about restoration techniques. It seems that the Impressionist and early post- painters were able to do that "plein air" stuff because of the recent invention of paint in tubes -- but the colors in those tubes were early synthetic pigments that haven't lasted well at all. As Yogi said, you can see a lot just by looking!

Even though they're not together, you can still "do a Louvre" in 15 minutes by making a straight line for Venus de Milo, Winged Victory, Mona Lisa -- I'm outta here! Or you can spend days. But nothing else comes close to those three. Same in most museums, I guess. But we really could spend a whole day in the Van Gogh Museum -- leave time for the top floor where there's a great exhibit about restoration techniques. It seems that the Impressionist and early post- painters were able to do that "plein air" stuff because of the recent invention of paint in tubes -- but the colors in those tubes were early synthetic pigments that haven't lasted well at all. As Yogi said, you can see a lot just by looking!

I think I spent about 4 hours in the Van Gogh, but that was when the Rijks was being renovated. I forget what the top floor exhibit was, but since I don't remember it, I think it was something that did not hold my interest... the rest of the museum is fabulous and the "new" Rijks just blew my mind!!!!

The Van Gogh museum tells the story of his life through his paintings. We're huge fans of Van Gogh, and visited his grave and last home near Paris. We loved the museum! We ordered tickets online from museum website and walked in at our appointed time

Didn't visit the Riks, have had the opportunity to view Dutch Master paintings in NYC and Paris. Of course we took a pic at the famous I heart Amsterdam sign. Then hubby walked to the place where they sell the herring sandwiches. What's more authentic than that? :-). We walked all over. Amsterdam very walkable just look out for the bicyclists.

Didn't visit the Riks, have had the opportunity to view Dutch Master paintings in NYC and Paris. Of course we took a pic at the famous I heart Amsterdam sign. Then hubby walked to the place where they sell the herring sandwiches. What's more authentic than that? :-). We walked all over. Amsterdam very walkable just look out for the bicyclists.

That's the only downside I found to Amsterdam....the bikes!! I feel safer crossing the street in Manhattan than I did in Amsterdam and they yell and curse at you if you step off the curb and thought you had time to make it. I think some of these people bike faster than NYC taxi cabs!!!

The renovated Rijks is just wonderful. Plenty of places to sit down and get lost in a painting....and very easy to find your way around. I missed the I heart Amsterdam sign....Did your DH actually eat a herring sandwich???:eek:

On Sunday, Dec. we are going to end our river cruise in Amsterdam. Since weather is iffy, we are planning on going to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum during our only day in Amsterdam. Which one first? Is Rick Steve's book the best way to go? When we have visited the US National Gallery of Art, we loved the tour guide's personal stories. We have also used multimedia guides and enjoyed them. Will just be DH and me and we both love art museums.

On Sunday, Dec. we are going to end our river cruise in Amsterdam. Since weather is iffy, we are planning on going to the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum during our only day in Amsterdam. Which one first? Is Rick Steve's book the best way to go? When we have visited the US National Gallery of Art, we loved the tour guide's personal stories. We have also used multimedia guides and enjoyed them. Will just be DH and me and we both love art museums.

Wow....are you gonna be tired!!! :D I've been to both museums, but not on the same day. The Rijks has the Gallery of Honor, where it's placed its most important works....like The Night Watch, Milkmaid, etc. and it's wonderfully done. We had a guide but I did see a place where you returned head sets, so I'm they do have a self-guided tour. I used one at the Van Gogh and it was excellent. Van Gogh is smaller than the Rijks but just as wonderful. The first time in Amsterdam the Rijks was under renovation so I went to the Van Gogh....this time the Rijks was finished and the Van Gogh is being renovated. It depends on what kind of art you especially like as to where you would be likely to need the most time. It is ambitious to do both museums in one day.

Yes, we are the ambitious types! We will need to leave our (minimal) luggage at the train station after we get off the ship (we are early risers and will get off as soon as possible). So which museum first? We are thinking maybe 3 hours each with an hour lunch; any recommendations for a Sunday lunch in the museum area?

Yes, we are the ambitious types! We will need to leave our (minimal) luggage at the train station after we get off the ship (we are early risers and will get off as soon as possible). So which museum first? We are thinking maybe 3 hours each with an hour lunch; any recommendations for a Sunday lunch in the museum area?

You won't have to contend with the throngs of August tourists but Sunday will be a popular day for the locals so don't expect empty museums! We were there on a weekday in August and if you hadn't bought tickets in advance you weren't getting in to either museum for hours; and even having tickets in advance it was going to be up to a 1 1/2 hour wait at the Van Gogh where we stopped first. We decided not to wait in line but to go to the Rijks Museum for about 2 hours (using the 90 minute audio tour), then took a canal tour (the stop is right across the road) for what was supposed to be 1 hour but there was the people's boat parade (a hoot) that afternoon (as part of SAIL Amsterdam) and it turned into a 2+ hour trip and then we returned to the Van Gogh where the line had finally died down and did a 1 hour audio tour. We were exhausted but glad we had done all three activities.

I was going to suggest you grab a bite in the Rijks museum.....DH and I love eating inside the museums....but with the point capriccio made about Sunday crowds, that could be a real time killer. I do like her schedule though....Rijks in the morning....boat ride...then Van Gogh in the afternoon. Three hours in each could be enough but check museum hours on Sunday and most of them are closed on Monday. You are staying over-night, right? You didn't specifically say, but I think doing both museums and flying out on the same day would be insanely hectic....but then one's man's insanity is another's adventure!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty

We are taking the 6 or 7 PM train to Brussels. We are planning on returning to Amsterdam some time in the spring when everything is blooming. That is why we are limiting our time there this trip. I said we are crazy, right?

We are taking the 6 or 7 PM train to Brussels. We are planning on returning to Amsterdam some time in the spring when everything is blooming. That is why we are limiting our time there this trip. I said we are crazy, right?

Not crazy at all [famous John Astin quote on The Bob Newhart Show: "The doctor says I'm doing much better!"]. We did both VG and Rijks after arriving with jet lag, checking luggage on AmaCello, and dealing with ATM and buying tram passes! [short naps during the VG movie and on a convenient bench in Rijks helped!] Back on board in time for another short nap before CD intro and safety lecture.

Jazz, the Exclusive " Do As The Locals Do" Amsterdam Walking Tour I am referring to is listed in the Uniworld Cruise Companion as one of their afternoon tour choices so I believe their local guide would still use the Vox gizmo. The choice is whether to see the city in more depth or choose between one of the two museums. By the way, for those of you who are interested, this tour takes you through the Canal District, the Bengijnhof Court (if I spelled that right!), and the Museum van Loon. Oh...and you get taken for Dutch apple pie at a local cafe! (we are art lovers but we'll have to sacrifice poor Vincent and Rembrandt for free apple pie!)

Jazz, the Exclusive " Do As The Locals Do" Amsterdam Walking Tour I am referring to is listed in the Uniworld Cruise Companion as one of their afternoon tour choices so I believe their local guide would still use the Vox gizmo. The choice is whether to see the city in more depth or choose between one of the two museums. By the way, for those of you who are interested, this tour takes you through the Canal District, the Bengijnhof Court (if I spelled that right!), and the Museum van Loon. Oh...and you get taken for Dutch apple pie at a local cafe! (we are art lovers but we'll have to sacrifice poor Vincent and Rembrandt for free apple pie!)

My Dutch ancestors are rollling in their graves, but I have to honest..apple pie in Germany was waaaaay better....Vincent and Rembrandt are much more satisfying!!! But that's one gal's opinion. :D

Spring is wonderful. You really do have all day...and you can sleep on the train...I say go for it!!!! YOLO!!! :D