Leaving Walmart (Carnival) and going to Royal

terratrac

My boyfriend and I are taking our first cruise in less than two weeks, and I just wanted to share the reason we chose RCI instead of Carnival. We wanted to leave from Baltimore, so these were our only two options. What it came down to was the itinerary - while Carnival Pride was visiting Charleston on the way out followed by Port Canaveral, Freeport and Nassau, RCI Grandeur is visiting Port Canaveral, Cococay, Nassau and then Key West. We just personally found Key West and Cococay to be more our preference based on research than Charleston and Freeport. We figure we can drive to SC someday if we want to see Charleston and didn't want to waste a port day on that when we could visit Key West instead.

While our TA did call Carnival the "Chuck E. Cheese of the Seas" what it really came down to was personal preference. We also preferred the Saturday to Sunday rather than Sunday to Monday due to work and school schedules. We would have had to take an additional day off to cruise Carnival.

Agree with a lot of what you have stated, however....on the Carnival Splendor for 15 days. Although we met some wonderful people....we were flabbergasted with most of the people. Honey Boo Boo attire...Walmart attire.....just floored with behavior and manners and attire. The worst were Texans. Don't know why...and I don't know much about Texans...but they were sooooo dirty. Their cowboy hats were disgusting. This was the only cruise that we regret sailing. The longest 15 days of our lives.

Wow, just wow. I think you should change your avatar because it is just too sweet looking for you.

You know, there are a given percentage of people in this world who are rude, I know 'cause I am a nurse.

Actually the rudest incident on board a ship was on the RCCI Splendour. .

My friend and I were on a 4 day never do that again) at Spring break leaving from Galveston. On board was a group of people from East coast that were on a reward cruise ( we over heard them talking) from their company. After breakfast my friend and I went outside and pulled out two empty stacked pool lounges>. 15 minutes later out comes this group of people accusing us of taking their chairs. We politely told them we had not done this. Never mind they kept up. (I was in my late 50's then), they were in their 30s, and kept shouting obscene phrases at us. Finally one came over and dumped me out of the lounge. ( I was recovering from a brain tumor at the time). The pool stewards were of no help and said they were in possession of lounges,( the ones they stole out from under us), and we just went to our cabin. Later they saw us in a common area (at night) and were yelling how stupid and ugly Texans were. I didn't blame RCCI for this, nor did I change cruise lines, just never Spring time and never 4 day cruises. BTW, the food was less than desirable on that cruise. The food has been quite nice on all the other cruises I have been on, whether Carnival or RCCI.

I love people from the East Coast,( was married to a New Yorker once). and I love the Texans, just not all the people all the time.

I like Carnival for the price. I have been on them 13 times and have 2 more booked. We are doing Royal again in April. An inside cabin on that cruise, Vision of the Seas an older smaller ship, is only 400 less than the balcony we are getting on the Carnival Magic, a much larger and new ship, with plenty of more to offer. I am hoping that this 3rd time, they will finally wow me over.

Haven't had a bad cruise yet. Just tried Carnival in January (B2B) and loved it. Just completed our second two weeks ago and it was as good as he first. Took 2 other couples that are Royal fans and they also loved it.

Have done 14 cruises on 5 cruise lines and would sail anyone of them again.

Carnival advantages - all 6 of us thought food quality and variety was better than Royal - love the comedy club - love Guys Burgers and Blue Iguana - drinks were stronger and cheaper

Royal advantages - nicer ships - better kids program

Found shows and service equal

Um....I've got some issues about the 'dirty Texans' mentioned in one of the posts. We took Navigator out of Galveston in 2014 in late May and the Texans (as well as the people from Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and our favorite....the honeymoon couple that drove ALL night from Kansas City to make the trip) were some of the nicest people we have ever cruised with.

What a pleasant group of people on our ship!!!

Ok, with that out of the way....our only Carnival experience was the 'inaugural' of Carnival Sunshine in May 2013. Twelve day Europe cruise and it was just out of a months long drydock to transform from Carnival Destiny. They added cabins for 500 more people. Enough said about that....whoa.

However, nightly comedy club shows, Guy's Burgers, and a terrific waiter for our nightly dinner were high points of this cruise.

Were there Walmart people on board? I didn't see any.

That being said, we are one cruise away from Emerald on RC and have only one cruise experience on Carnival. I would cruise with them again but chose Navigator last year and Oasis for 2016 instead. We have also cruised NCL and Princess. Good memories on these cruises too.

I wish Royal would bring a ship back to LA.:cool:

those that have switched cruise lines, why? And why is Royal Caribbean superior to Carnival?

I am going to be reading your thread with interest mainly for the entertainment value. I've never been on Carnival, but that hasn't stopped me from making Carnival jokes to my non-cruise friends. But the format of your thread makes me wonder if there is a people of Carnival website. The people of walmart site is hilarious.

WOW … champagne123

I have lived in NY and found many people described people from NJ the way you described “Texans”. Then I crossed the river and found NJ, for the most part, to be very pleasant. I now live in TX and find that many that live here are more refined then a lot of people from other cities or states that I lived. Champagne123 maybe it’s time for you to explore the United States or at least TX before calling everyone dirty and disgusting.

I agree with you. I was born and raised in Texas and while we DO have our fair share of rubes and rednecks, to classify everyone from Texas as dirty and disgusting is wrong on so many levels.

As for our preference in cruise lines, we have never sailed anything but RCCL simply because the other lines do not have Flowriders :D

I am of the opinion: no matter if you are Honey BooBoo, The Clampetts, The Carringtons or The Ewings - everybody's money is green. So you are bound to run into people from any social and financial standing on Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

And as much as people refer to Carnival as having Walmart passengers, Royal Caribbean has them too. I saw plenty of them on my Jewel of the Seas sailing last month.

Putting Carnival in the same class as Wally World (WalMart) is a pretty low blow. Seen all types on the cruise lines I have been on. While I like RCL more than other lines, none of the other lines were that bad. ;)

Looking very forward to my upcoming cruise on Wal Mart cruise line! :D

If like it well enough it may be a while before I come back to Target of the Seas :cool:

At least I know I will get a nice USDA Prime steak in Carnivals steakhouse for the 35.00 surcharge, less expensive drinks, better pizza and good burgers I dont have to pay extra for :cool:

Im ok with those Wal Mart cruisers! I shop at Wal Mart :eek::p

Edited by ryano

I am going to be reading your thread with interest mainly for the entertainment value. I've never been on Carnival, but that hasn't stopped me from making Carnival jokes to my non-cruise friends. But the format of your thread makes me wonder if there is a people of Carnival website. The people of walmart site is hilarious.

So you give opinions and talk about a company that you don't even have a clue about. Outstanding! :rolleyes:

Edited by Who Cares?

Putting Carnival in the same class as Wally World (WalMart) is a pretty low blow. Seen all types on the cruise lines I have been on. While I like RCL more than other lines, none of the other lines were that bad. ;)

Depends on the comparison. Walmart is the merchant industry leader and Carnival is the cruise industry leader.

So you give opinions and talk about a company that you don't even have a clue about. Outstanding! :rolleyes:

If it makes a person with an outstanding user name such as yours use the rolleyes imogee for what I am sure isn't the first time, that is just a bonus. It's called a joke. If some one buys me a Carnival cruise i'm willing to form a better opinion. I do know more about it than my JOKE indicated. I was ready to book one as part of a family cruise, but the organizer died during the planning.

As for you, I won't even bother looking at your post history, your user name suggests it will be a lot of posts like this one. Now I'm back to reading the actual useful posts such as Ryan0's who reminded me about the steaks and burgers that I've read a lot about.