11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

I last sailed NCL in April 2013 and specialty restaurants were a flat rate, no additional charges. NCL was a great cruise in the past (I’ve recommended it to many) but now it’s a different cruise. Following the pack in pricing and policy is not always a good idea. But as long as they are still sailing full, they don’t care about offending long time customers. I’m okay with giving my money to someone else.

I've also noticed on the ships, they run their staff ragged much more than before. Room stewards have more cabins to clean and there are less people working in the kitchen. On the cruise I just took there were only 4 cruise staff and one cruise directer running all the activities for 2000 people. OPne of them let me see his schedule for the day. He was running some event from 7am to late evening with very little breaks. I really feel bad for them because they work very hard.

You can also see the effects of short staff in all the posts at Cruise Critic. As soon as a problem occurs, they have no extra capacity to deal with it and things deteriorate quickly.

I am sending this post to agree with the original poster; but also in the hopes that the outspoken customer dis-satisfaction may lead the current management to reconsider at least a few of their many recent and unprecedented changes. I agree with some that other cruise lines have either increased a number of their charges or decreased the quality of what is offered in the base cruse, but to my knowledge, no other cruise line is both increasing costs and decreasing quality at the same time. I believe that this is at the core of the complaint. Having now cruised on thirty six cruises on many different lines; I realize that every cruise line and indeed every ship has it's plusses and minuses. I also acknowledge that it is unfair to compare amenities with a cruise line that charges a much higher price. But the current changes have left people like me and the other posters on this page blind-sighted by so many changes in a short period of time. I can't help but wonder what the heck are they thinking of? Getting lots of folks upset is not usually conducive to an increase in future sales.

Anyway, despite that these changes will cause a significant increase in charges in my upcoming 14 day Caribbean Breakaway cruise in January and my 10 day Western Med Cruise on the Epic in April, it will definitely have a negative impact on booking with NCL unless some of these recent policies are revised.

I've also noticed on the ships, they run their staff ragged much more than before. Room stewards have more cabins to clean and there are less people working in the kitchen. On the cruise I just took there were only 4 cruise staff and one cruise directer running all the activities for 2000 people. OPne of them let me see his schedule for the day. He was running some event from 7am to late evening with very little breaks. I really feel bad for them because they work very hard.

You can also see the effects of short staff in all the posts at Cruise Critic. As soon as a problem occurs, they have no extra capacity to deal with it and things deteriorate quickly.

Actually on my cruise last year (November of last year), I asked my Cabin Steward how many cabins he had. He said they use to have 22, when they had an Assistant Cabin Steward and now they have 11 without an Assistant Cabin Steward. I'll ask again in less than a month, to see if the number of cabins has been changed.

I believe Celebrity has a total or 2 or 3, including the Cruise Director for the 2,000 passengers on their ships, it looks like some other lines have less than NCL when it comes to Activity Staff. And, yes, you are correct, they do work hard, but they know what is expected of them before they take the job.

Times are a changing on all cruise lines.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't think NCL is alone in this however. We cruised on RCCL last July. We had booked it in September. We received a notice from our TA about 4 weeks before sailing that RCCL had just raised their daily gratuities and if we wanted the lower rate, we had about a week to pre-pay, otherwise we would be stuck with the higher rate once we got onboard. RCCl also had additional charge items on its main dining room menus.

Likewise, we booked a Carnival cruise for next summer this past March and in April they announced that there would be additional room service items with a fee associated. I think like baggage fees on airlines and extra charges for premium seats and faster check-in lines, the cruise industry as a whole is looking for ways to keep the base fare low and add in additional, optional extras that people can pay for if they choose (early check in on Carnival, fresh squeezed OJ and upcharge items on the MDR menus on most ships). When upcharge restaurants first started appearing on ships, the fee was like 5-10 dollars and was billed as additional gratuity. We are a long ways from those days:eek:!!!

I've been on all these cruise lines and I see the same thing. It's really crazy and I don't think they realize how much they are hurting themselves. The airline, MAYBE because that is transportation, which is a commodity. But a cruise is a vacation, and the last thing people want on a vacation is be be nickeled and dimed by one charge after another.

I myself was very put off by the $7.95 room service charge, and I almost never use room service!!! This alone might me not taking NCL again.

Are any other cruiselines still OK? I don't mind paying more. Princess? Disney? Going to have to look into those.

I believe Celebrity has a total or 2 or 3, including the Cruise Director for the 2,000 passengers on their ships, it looks like some other lines have less than NCL when it comes to Activity Staff. And, yes, you are correct, they do work hard, but they know what is expected of them before they take the job.

Times are a changing on all cruise lines.

Its hard to just compare the total number, because cruiselines differ in the number of activities they offer. NCL had the most I've ever seen. We had a 4 day x one hour Spanish class.

Its hard to just compare the total number, because cruiselines differ in the number of activities they offer. NCL had the most I've ever seen. We had a 4 day x one hour Spanish class.
Celebrity has a huge amount of activities as well. There was a lot of complaining when the pared down the Activity Staff on Celebrity. I wish I had one of their dailies and I could show you all the activities they do.

I do think the steak frites on the new menu is steak and fries as it has that little asterisk after it warning about undercooked foods. Not sure, though, but if it was just potatoes it would have "v" after it for vegetarian. Of course what cut of beef it is could be questionable.

Ah, ok. I just assumed "steak frites" were steak fries (thanks to my bad HS French). Another poster had said there were no daily steak choices, so it made sense to me.

I understand how the OP feels. But, we have two suite cruises that I booked back in February. My promo included prepaid service charges, Udp, Ubp, and obc. Thankfully all these changes don't effect my upcoming cruises.

I could not imagine trying to book a cruise now.

"I booked my December cruise on the Getaway in early February and I feel the same way as the OP. This is my fifth NCL cruise and the number of changes in such a short period of time makes planning expenses nearly impossible. I’m really not going on the same cruise I booked. Same ports but that’s about it. Since I booked NCL has also discontinued the fireworks, added 18% gratuity to all restaurants, no longer offer prime rib for free in the MDR and that doesn’t include the changes to room service, DSC, a la carte pricing in restaurants, increased drink prices, etc., etc. (I know I’m missing other changes)."

Haha, I don't even have the same itinerary! One of my ports got changed. I'm actually okay with the switch because I like where we're going; I just thought it was funny after reading your comment. :D

I feel exactly the same way as the OP! We booked our upcoming cruise on Escape over 9 months ago. We got a great deal and some included perks (Kids sail free, UDP, $100 OBC) but it does feel a little like a bait and switch with all the changes. Im not complaining, dont get me wrong, but when we went on Epic last year, we loved the freestyle culture.... pay for some extras, but lots of traditional inclusions.... now it seems like just about everything is extra! I guess I would feel more jipped if we did not get the extra perks that we got when we booked (especially UDP since we love the restaurants). I was a pretty loyal Royal cruiser until they kept raising prices, which prompted us to look for a different line.... we were happy when we tried Epic because we felt we got a lot for the value.... but now Im not sure if I will continue with NCL.... ESPECIALLY since Del Rio came out saying he will continue to raise prices! The draw was the reasonable fare... if that goes Im likely done!

Ah, ok. I just assumed "steak frites" were steak fries (thanks to my bad HS French). Another poster had said there were no daily steak choices, so it made sense to me.

I do not quite understand why they can't provide some description of the menu items. I don't know what half of the items are sometimes. I guess by writing in a language people don't understand it looks fancier. :confused:

And Well, and I could be wrong..... But I just couldn't believe there would be no beef offering every day and those symbols were a clue. And I seem to remember something like this on a lunch menu. Again, I could be wrong. I am just not angry about it, yet. :)

Edited by drvalo

It's been a few years since we've been on NCL, but I don't remember a service charge in the Specialty restaurants.

Provided of course that you prepaid your Gratuities back before the major changes were announced and implemented this year you don't ...

I prepaid back in Feb. before the increases so my Free UDP has no 18% fee....And if I remember correctly I still qualify for the cirque and dinner free as part of the old package...

Edited by warriorking

Fireworks on the two or three ships that had them, most of the fleet did not. Always was 15% gratuity so it went up 3% (only specialty restaurants). Prime rib is still available at least till the end of the year (your cruise included). DSC is the same if you pay before you board. Room service went up to match what many cruise lines are doing now. A la carte is only if you want it, otherwise the free stuff is still free. And I don't see any significant increase in drink prices. Last year well drinks were about $6 and still are today. But, if it's time to move to another line, I'm sure you'll find one that matches your needs. I know NCL is still sailing full! I know our cruise this year is about $1K cheaper than last year in the same room and the next cruise a year out is even cheaper about $1.8K less than last year. And we add in free UBP!!!

I don't think you're fully understanding what this post is about. When you book a cruise (or any type of vacation really), you have an idea in your head what it's going to be like. This idea is developed from prior experiences, reading forums like this, friends' experiences, and so on. When you realize that it might not meet your initial expectations, that gets a little disappointing. When it seems like every month brings a new change, well, that's very disappointing.

For me, the Getaway is my first "big" ship - Tampa and Canaveral are closer drives for us, but we decided we really wanted to try a bigger, newer ship. I was excited about the fireworks - I've never been on a ship that had them. Now I'm a little disappointed I won't see them. I don't care that they aren't on the other ships - I'm disappointed that they are not on this ship. Deal breaker? Nope, not a all. But wait, there's more.

I was ok paying 15% on drinks - we usually tipped over about a buck. Got great service. But 18% for opening a beer is a bit much, and chances are, I wouldn't be tipping extra. Deal breaker? No, just a minor annoyance. But wait, there's more.

There were never auto-gratuities in the specialty restaurant, just the upcharge. We always had such wonderful service that we tipped anyway (and more than 18%). We like feeling generous; we don't like feeling gouged. And a la carte just sealed the deal for me - as I said if I wanted that experience, I'd just take a land vacation. Deal breaker? No, but I'm not eating in any specialty restaurants this time. My choice, I know, but the reason I'm making it leaves a sour taste in my mouth. But wait, there's more!

What cruise line is charging a "convenience charge" to deliver complementary food to your stateroom? None that I'm aware of, though some offer some upcharge items. I have no problem with upcharge items. But one thing I looked forward to is room service after a long day at port - I've done it once or twice every cruise. But not this one. Deal breaker? No, but I'm really having a hard time feeling the same level of enthusiasm I did when I first booked. And of course, there is more.

I don't object to the increase in auto-gratuities per se. We prepaid them like we always do. But I think the double barreled rollout of increases at the same as levying auto-gratuities and convenience charges for things previously covered leaves a bad taste in a lot of customers' mouths. I've read here that drinks HAVE increased in price, and I know for sure that excursions have really gone up. I'm glad for you that your prices are less, but I'm paying $150 more for a category of room lower than I normally get (and the current price on that room is $400 more today than I paid), so not everyone is seeing these savings. For me to experience what I experienced on my last cruise, it would cost me a lot more.

As I said, I'm still planning on having a great time - a day on a cruise ship beats a day work in the winter time. But my enthusiasm for NCL has definitely waned. I'll still sail them (I'm almost platinum), but they are not my first or only choice anymore.

The expression "your mileage may vary" exists for a reason, I guess.

Next cruise is in 2 weeks. We booked in January and got a great price. My family enjoys eating in the MDR . The only specialty we like is Cagney's but if pricing is Ala care we probably will choose not to eat there. My big concern is all the complaints regarding service. I am hoping we have no issues since we will be traveling with 1st timers with NCL. Next cruise planned will be with Princess so I will finally have something to compare.

I so agree with previous poster that it would be nice to have the changes announced in advance from NCL and not hearing it 1st from passengers.

The difference between 15% and 18% is not 3%. It is 20%.
It can be either 3% or 20% depending on what you mean, and whether you prefer to wave around a big number or a little number to better serve your own argument.

The difference in total bottom-line cost to you between a drink with 15% tip and the same drink at the same price with 18% tip is 2.6%.

The problem is, when NCL raised the auto-gratuity to 18% back in March, they raised the price of drinks at the same time! :mad: The average increase in menu prices was reported as 6.7%. So combine the two and the total increase in bar prices in March 2015 was 9.5%.

On the bright side, this was still only about half as much as the 18% hike in the cost of specialty dining… :rolleyes:

Likewise, we booked a Carnival cruise for next summer this past March and in April they announced that there would be additional room service items with a fee associated. I think like baggage fees on airlines and extra charges for premium seats and faster check-in lines, the cruise industry as a whole is looking for ways to keep the base fare low and add in additional, optional extras that people can pay for if they choose (early check in on Carnival, fresh squeezed OJ and upcharge items on the MDR menus on most ships). When upcharge restaurants first started appearing on ships, the fee was like 5-10 dollars and was billed as additional gratuity. We are a long ways from those days:eek:!!!

Agree that other lines are doing the same thing. Trend of the industry. Just not nearly as quickly as NCL. I think the other rub is that base fares aren't low! They are at an all time high along with the extra charges. This is reflected in the cruise lines' financial statements.

I'm just using plain old math...
So is everyone else.

Just curious, how would you quantify as a percentage the change from 0% service charge on specialty dining to 18% service charge? The service charge went up infinity percent?

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Fireworks on the two or three ships that had them, most of the fleet did not. Always was 15% gratuity so it went up 3% (only specialty restaurants). Prime rib is still available at least till the end of the year (your cruise included). DSC is the same if you pay before you board. Room service went up to match what many cruise lines are doing now. A la carte is only if you want it, otherwise the free stuff is still free. And I don't see any significant increase in drink prices. Last year well drinks were about $6 and still are today. But, if it's time to move to another line, I'm sure you'll find one that matches your needs. I know NCL is still sailing full! I know our cruise this year is about $1K cheaper than last year in the same room and the next cruise a year out is even cheaper about $1.8K less than last year. And we add in free UBP!!!

That's interesting as your situation is not like most of the other folks on this board. Pricing is subjective and varies greatly week in/week out. For most folks (including us) in 2016, cruise fares are very high.

From what I've read 6 bucks on board will get you a beer or a well cocktail--not much else--without the 18 percent gratuity. Then again, that's what it gets you on land too. You're just not paying hundreds of dollars a day to sit in a floating bar.

I don't like to even think this but I do remember the "old" days of NCL and how different it's become. First of all we were promised a 75 dollar room credit from our NCL PCC on our last cruise. We went down to see if it was on our account and there was nothing. I explained to them to no avail. Secondly, we were promised a dinner with wine, the hostess refused us the wine, even when I asked her to call the front desk. Our toilet was out of order and it was supposed to be repaired, it wasn't. They used to give us chocolates, no more chocolates (no big deal), they had shower caps, shampoo and lotions, etc. in every cabin in those days. No more. Our room stewards really seemed to care for us in those days, not any more, no smile, nothing.

I do know that some will think these things are really nothing but thinking back they did make a big difference. I guess all things are different now, but it's sad to remember the yesterdays.

And ice cream cones used to be a nickel. Life is change, and it seems many fear or object to change just because it is different. Many complain about the changes on NCL without acknowledging the same changes are going down on similar cruise lines. People complain about up charges in the MDR while saying they won't be eating there anyway. To me it is mostly a series of new choices to which I just say no.

\

"NCL is positioning itself to be the premier mainstream cruisline. In doing that NCL will be renevating all of its menus to offer the finest food of any cruiseline. Offering the finest quality prime rib and lobster for a fee will enable NCL to ensure high quality for premium entrees and allow NCLs chefs to be more creative with the menu"

it would create a bit of excitement instead of oh....by the way...that's gonna cost you a few more dollar's ...

I think this was Lose/Lose for NCL. Announce higher prices/fares/debundling and you get a drop in bookings. Don't announce it and you upset everyone else who is booked. They decided to risk short term customer loss rather than longer term soft bookings.

\

The DSC is a tough one. I've worked in the service industry for years and I'm all for tipping good service, (most of my younger life was based on tips alone) but I'm also for the "premium services" model where a flat fee is paid and not a penny more is due for service or otherwise.

The reason I'm for the all inclusive (especially in the cruise industry) is because I've been that bartender that pretended to be busy abd made the guy wait for 20 minutes becasue he left me the .35 cent tip on the last bottle of beer. Cash tips can create a negative experience for those who don't tip. When you get outside the culture of the USA it can make for an interesting environment.

If service starts to drop off though....that's where the rubber meets the road.

-Sean

Agree that all inclusive would be better on board. I think this hybrid service charge/tip on top culture can create an unbalanced service experience. Then again if your cruise experience costs 30 percent more with tips you may have the soft booking problem again.

Lose/Lose for NCL and the other cruise lines.

I am sending this post to agree with the original poster; but also in the hopes that the outspoken customer dis-satisfaction may lead the current management to reconsider at least a few of their many recent and unprecedented changes. I agree with some that other cruise lines have either increased a number of their charges or decreased the quality of what is offered in the base cruse, but to my knowledge, no other cruise line is both increasing costs and decreasing quality at the same time. I believe that this is at the core of the complaint. Having now cruised on thirty six cruises on many different lines; I realize that every cruise line and indeed every ship has it's plusses and minuses. I also acknowledge that it is unfair to compare amenities with a cruise line that charges a much higher price. But the current changes have left people like me and the other posters on this page blind-sighted by so many changes in a short period of time. I can't help but wonder what the heck are they thinking of? Getting lots of folks upset is not usually conducive to an increase in future sales.

Anyway, despite that these changes will cause a significant increase in charges in my upcoming 14 day Caribbean Breakaway cruise in January and my 10 day Western Med Cruise on the Epic in April, it will definitely have a negative impact on booking with NCL unless some of these recent policies are revised.

Thanks for your input. Our first cruise was 20 years ago on the old Carnival holiday. The product has changed--sometimes for the better, some for the worse. But the rate of change since the economic meltdown in 2008/9/10 has been unprecedented.