11 Months Later--Not the Same Cruise we Booked

AZ ParrotHead

On all the menus I saw there was at least one beef offering, often separated out as the Chef's Special (perhaps that's why you didn't see them). There are also the standard, every night offerings that include steak on the left hand side of the menu.

We approached our cruise on the Gem last month with some trepidation because of the number of changes, but for our cruising style we didn't notice anything really different from the past. For us, the cruise was one of the best we have had on NCL. But we may be unique in that.

Very glad to hear that you had a great vacation and that the impact of the changes was minimal.

The difference between 15% and 18% is not 3%. It is 20%.

A 3% increase on 15% would be 15.45%

Please!!! You know exactly what I was saying. They increased by 3%, period. An item that cost a dollar before would have been $1.15 in the past and is now $1.18. Spin that any way you want. I'm not jumping ship over 3 cents!!

Please!!! You know exactly what I was saying. They increased by 3%, period. An item that cost a dollar before would have been $1.15 in the past and is now $1.18. Spin that any way you want. I'm not jumping ship over 3 cents!!

The difference between 15% and 18% is a 20% increase.

That's not spin. That's mathematics. You even made reference directly to gratuities and not overall cost. And you made a statement that was incorrect.

This is how I see things. I'm not one to complain about something that I haven't encountered or things I can't control, but would rather see for myself. When I go on my cruises (next one in less than 30 days), if I notice that changes have made a serious dent in my cruise experience, then that is when I make the decision to stay with a line or move on.

So far, just on paper, I don't have any issue with the new charges. Would I have liked that they not raised the DSC, sure I'm guessing most didn't want to see it raised, but it is what it is and if someone is that much against the raises, they can ask for a refund. I like the idea that they offer upgraded items as a choice items, one can purchase them or not. Raising the drink gratuity another 3% and adding on the 18% for specialty restaurants, really isn't a big deal for me, since I tend to tip that already. And I don't think I'm in the minority, as I think a lot of people feel the same. There are a lot more things to worry about in our everyday life, then to get all upset about something that may or may not affect my cruises, until I've actually cruised and seen the affect first hand. Like you, I would bet that I will have the same experience you had and see no affect at all.

Isn't the excitement and planning part of the cruise experience? Certainly an extra gratuity isn't going to ruin my day but all these additional costs create concern for many customers.

Take my parents for example. They are retired and on a fixed income. Saving up for a vacation is a really big deal for them. The budget included vibe passes (99 now, not 79), illusionarium (8 more per person), gratuities (50 more) dining package (now 30 more than planned). That's a budget increase of $120.

Does that break the bank? No. Does it mean that something had to give? Yes. In our case we opted not go to as many specialties.

I'm bummed that my mom is worried about spending too much on board rather than having a good time. That shouldn't be the case just before a vacation.

Full disclosure: we will ensure that my parents can do whatever they want on the cruise.

Nah, not really. Same old spin to stir the pot. There was a 3% kicker and you know it.

Wow, you made a math error. It's not the end of the world. I didn't attack you, I pointed out the error in the calculation. Math isn't very subjective and therefore requires accuracy. Your response is strange.

I draw that conclusion based on reading a lot of posts and doing a lot of vacation planning. Many have commented on the very high cruise fares for 2016. That has been reflected in the earnings call for most major cruise lines.

As an industry follower, I read the analysts reports and listen to the conference call highlights. Prices ARE higher.

Again, my booked cruise for 2016 is at least 20% cheaper now than it was 3 years ago. It is also 27% less than this years cruise in the exact same cabin sailing the same week, and it's a 9 day cruise instead of 7. And of course I locked in the UBP for both years.

Its hard to just compare the total number, because cruiselines differ in the number of activities they offer. NCL had the most I've ever seen. We had a 4 day x one hour Spanish class.

Celebrity has a huge amount of activities as well. There was a lot of complaining when the pared down the Activity Staff on Celebrity. I wish I had one of their dailies and I could show you all the activities they do.

Agree with NLH - there were tons of activities on our Celebrity cruise. I thought it was comparable to any other cruise we had done on Royal and more than what had been offered on our Princess cruise

Again, my booked cruise for 2016 is at least 20% cheaper now than it was 3 years ago. It is also 27% less than this years cruise in the exact same cabin sailing the same week, and it's a 9 day cruise instead of 7. And of course I locked in the UBP for both years.

I am glad you found a better deal for next year. I wish our search for 2016 was so successful.

The difference between 15% and 18% is a 20% increase.

That's not spin. That's mathematics. You even made reference directly to gratuities and not overall cost. And you made a statement that was incorrect.

The DIFFERENCE between those percentages is 20%, but it's not a "20% increase" to the total price.

As someone said a few posts above, what was $1.15 is now $1.18; a 2.6% increase.

Isn't the excitement and planning part of the cruise experience? Certainly an extra gratuity isn't going to ruin my day but all these additional costs create concern for many customers.

Take my parents for example. They are retired and on a fixed income. Saving up for a vacation is a really big deal for them. The budget included vibe passes (99 now, not 79), illusionarium (8 more per person), gratuities (50 more) dining package (now 30 more than planned). That's a budget increase of $120.

Does that break the bank? No. Does it mean that something had to give? Yes. In our case we opted not go to as many specialties.

I'm bummed that my mom is worried about spending too much on board rather than having a good time. That shouldn't be the case just before a vacation.

Full disclosure: we will ensure that my parents can do whatever they want on the cruise.

Sure, I love planning my vacations. I'm excited now because I'm starting to pack (even though I'm late) for my December cruise. I'm actually planning not only my "get out of the heat" summer road trip for next year, but my upcoming cruises, so I love planning and I get really excited.

I think some of the changes are of concern to some customers, not many. Folks are now aware of the changes and can plan accordingly. I've read quite a few posts where folks are really excited about the upcharge items, especially the lobster that they were complaining about being gone from the MDR.

Just like your parents, I'm retired. If I get on the ship and something is more expensive than I thought and I still want to purchase it, I'll adjust on the fly by not buying something else. I simply set my budget and I don't go over it, just like I do in my everyday life, but to put myself in a negative state of mind over a few changes prior to even experiencing them, well, to me, that would ruin my vacation a whole lot more than having to spend a few more dollars on this or that.

Bottom line is that we are all different. We see things differently and things affect us differently. Your opinion is correct in your mind and my opinion is correct in my mind. Nothing either of us do or say is going to change the other's mindset on the issue. I certainly hope you and your parents have a wonderful cruises and that the changes don't affect you in a way that would adversely affect your cruising experience.

Edited by NLH Arizona

My family asks me why I am always on Cruise Critic and my response is that I need to check every day because changes are made so often and I need to be kept informed. I never had to do this in the past because changes didn't happen as often.

In my opinion prices have gone up. The exact cruise from this year is now more than $500 a person and both had the UBP. FDR wanted more money from his passengers and he is getting it every way he can.

In my opinion prices have gone up. The exact cruise from this year is now more than $500 a person and both had the UBP. FDR wanted more money from his passengers and he is getting it every way he can.

This is the truth. I read all over this board how people are happy with all the extra chargers because the fare stays low. I do not believe it, the fares are up and less is included in the trip.

This is the truth. I read all over this board how people are happy with all the extra chargers because the fare stays low. I do not believe it, the fares are up and less is included in the trip.

Yes, it's a big myth. I guess it depends on what you're buying--sea transportation or a cruise? At some point a mainstream line will figure out how to remove all included food from the equation.

The "good old days" in many sectors of the hospitality and service industries are just that.... More of us can afford cruises than before -- my first cruise in the 70's (half-fare as a student going to Europe but in THIRD CLASS) still was at a time when only the very rich cruised for a vacation. Otherwise, it was the cheapest way to get someplace (or you would take the train or fly).

I understand that economics and a different target market is behind many of the changes for the "mass" cruise lines. Most of us can't afford to try the luxury lines -- even a "mass market" river cruise is twice the cost of NCL.

So, I easily forgive many of the irritating changes such as up charges. Where I have trouble is the new management disregard for not only their passengers but their own staff. Most of the customer service staff also was caught by surprise when NCL decided to reposition all of those ships at the same time this summer. And THEN theyhad the nerve to restrict what passengers could do in terms of rescheduling. I took what was shoved down my throat but I probably will cancel.

To me, THAT clearly is a case of "not the cruise I booked."

For me to book the same ship I went on in 2015 again in 2016, same room, same week, same packages; the base fare of the room has gone up 88%.

First, how much did your 2015 cruise cost this time last year (November 2014), and what packages were included then? (You may know the answer to this.)

Second, how much would you end up paying for the 2016 cruise if you actually booked it and watched for price drops, better promos, etc. all the way up to final payment? (If the cruise is still outside final payment now, you do not know the answer to this.)

We can only compare 2015 and 2016 cruise prices after 2016 happens.

Edited by hawkeyetlse

Yes, it's a big myth. I guess it depends on what you're buying--sea transportation or a cruise? At some point a mainstream line will figure out how to remove all included food from the equation.

It also depends on how many are going, the room category you're choosing and what your budget, especially for the fare is. For example - $1,500 per person for you in a balconies for 4-6 people you are taking along for a 7 day trip in the summer on a Jewel-class is expensive, For me, $1,500 altogether for myself for an interior room for 7 day in the summer on a Jewel-class is an okay/good price to me.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

As far as shampoo, you mean you didn't have wall mounted dispenser in your shower that had shampoo and liquid bath soap? My first cruise was in a non-suite cabin and there was no lotion or shower caps in that room and that was five years ago.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to confuse anyone. They used to have little bottles of lotion and shampoo and nice little bars of soap. These little things are really nothing but I was just comparing the "old" days to now. And, our dispensers were empty when we got into our cabin, they did refill them after we brought it to their attention. The thing that really got me upset was the room credit we were promised. How can anyone not complain about that?

First, how much did your 2015 cruise cost this time last year (November 2014), and what packages were included then? (You may know the answer to this.)

Second, how much would you end up paying for the 2016 cruise if you actually booked it and watched for price drops, better promos, etc. all the way up to final payment? (If the cruise is still outside final payment now, you do not know the answer to this.)

We can only compare 2015 and 2016 cruise prices after 2016 happens.

Good questions! I do not know what the cruise would have cost as of November 2014. Nor do I know the promos available at the time.

I booked in February 2015 for October 2015. Since it was less than 9 months out I did not qualify for the 5% AARP savings. At the time I booked UBP was included without any further service charge. My fare was $239 PP for a cat OG. It never went lower before final payment. My grand total with taxes and trip insurance, but before service charges was $743. When I booked I received $25 OBC.

To be fair, on that ship (Sky) UBP is included for all cabin categories without any further service charge for 2016. Today a Category OG is $449 per person. The base room fare has increased by 88%. My total out the door cost, before service charges, today would be approximately $1163 for an overall price increase of of approximately 56.5%. I would also receive $25 OBC.

I like your questions; I will have to pay attention and check it out again in February to see what the pricing looks like as that will be the MOST direct way to compare (book at the same time of year for the same week, same cabin, same ship).

But, the fact remains that as of today the cabin cost is 88% higher and the overall cost is 56.5% higher before service charges or any upcharge items.

I do not foresee the pricing being the same or lower, but will check in a few months. you've raised an interesting point.

To be fair, on that ship (Sky) UBP is included for all cabin categories without any further service charge for 2016.
It will be hard to compare 2016 on the Sky with previous years in any case, because they are kind of marketing as a different product and probably testing out various pricing models. I think the prices will be significantly higher next year, but it won't necessarily indicate anything about NCL in general and the rest of the fleet.

It will be hard to compare 2016 on the Sky with previous years in any case, because they are kind of marketing as a different product and probably testing out various pricing models. I think the prices will be significantly higher next year, but it won't necessarily indicate anything about NCL in general and the rest of the fleet.

The flip side of the coin is it actually isn't hard for me to look at my total cost in 2015 and my potential total cost in 2016 and determine how much it has gone up or if it is still a value.

It is still the same ship, going to the same ports, for the same week, same length of cruise, in the same cabin category.

So yes, again, you make a good point; they are trying to position the ship differently in the market. but that's NCL's deal. my deal is knowing what hit my wallet takes or not. Would I pay 56% more for the same exact trip? No. Would I pay 10 or 20% more? Possibly.

edit: remind me in February to check it out again!

Edited by LMaxwell

I think that the "things changes, so you shouldn't care" argument is a bit faulty, and is a dressed up version of "this doesn't affect me, so I don't care." By saying "things change," thus, you're ok with the instant changes, you're implying that because "things change," you'd be ok with ANY changes, which I simply do not believe. If they upped the DSC to $25 per person, or the grats for specialty dining or drinks to 50% or started charging for entertainment, I feel that may people would be upset, notwithstanding the fact that "things change."

I think that the "things changes, so you shouldn't care" argument is a bit faulty, and is a dressed up version of "this doesn't affect me, so I don't care." By saying "things change," thus, you're ok with the instant changes, you're implying that because "things change," you'd be ok with ANY changes, which I simply do not believe. If they upped the DSC to $25 per person, or the grats for specialty dining or drinks to 50% or started charging for entertainment, I feel that may people would be upset, notwithstanding the fact that "things change."

I am sick of hearing that also. Yes, changes happen but not as many or as fast as the ones FDR has done since taking over NCL. How people are ok with all these up charges and down grades, I'll never understand.

We booked our cruise as soon as bookings came open for it. No freebies. Once those were offered, I checked on cancelling and rebooking and it would have cost us an additional $1400. My husband doesn't drink and I may have one or two a day. Our cruise definitely went up in price but for us the additional cost wasn't worth getting the promos being offered.