Celebrity Solstice class dining vs Regal / Royal Princess

morpheus4356

Hi, I am looking at two Western Caribbean cruises on either Celebrity Silhouette or Princess Regal. My question is, how does the dining compare on each ship, specifically the complimentary options? It is my goal not to pay any extra for "specialty dining" as I don't feel like spending an extra $70-$100 per meal.

Princess seems to offer a lot of complimentary dining choices and even has a sit down Italian restaurant and pizza kitchen, whereas Celebrity seems to be focused on specialty dining and class specific restaurants.

Is Princess a better fit for someone that wants to stick to comp dining or do Celebrity Solstice class ships have just as many options?

My sister, who has been on Royal and some other Princess ships, just returned from Regal this week. She has been on Celebrity once (Equinox), the last cruise they took prior to Regal. She is not one to gush over anything (while we had been touting Celebrity, for years). All cruises have been good.

However!

This time she said the food was exceptional, the best on any cruise. She did mention that Italian restaurant as being good as well as the main dining room. (We have been disappointed in the Celebrity menus since the demise of the Michel Roux menus, and we think they are still going downhill). She was so positive that we are now considering giving Regal a try (heresy for us), perhaps in the late winter, as we leave for a b-2-b on Silhouette next week.

P.S. She also said that the shows in the theatre were all really good, the best they have seen.

Bill

We have been on both ships more than one time. If you are interested in free dining, there are many more choices on Princess than on Celebrity. Food is very subjective and in my opinion both are about equal in the MDR. Specialty Restaurants are much more expensive on Celebrity and not any better than on Princess.

Cabins are bigger and better on Celebrity. Entertainment is a toss up depending on what you like.

The center of the ship on Princess is much bigger and better than on S-Class. go onto YouTube.com and check out the videos there to see for yourself. There are many videos and they are very good.

You will enjoy either ship. It is your choice. Enjoy your cruise.

We were going to book Regal, but chose Reflection instead. Mostly because of Regal's really small balconies. Hope we made the right choce.

Princess has really good Italian food.

Yes, the Regal does have small balconies. They are narrow and still have 2 chairs and table. But, narrow and must turn chairs towards each other rather than facing sea. However, there are some big ones, too in the front of the ship. Cabins are bigger on Celebrity. It all depends on how much time you will spend on a balcony.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will try to book a cruise on Regal since I will be getting an inside cabin and am sticking to the comp dining options.

Please come back after your cruise and let us know how you liked the dining options on the Regal (can go to Princess forum to post.....or can PM me, I am interected in your opinions on this)...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will try to book a cruise on Regal since I will be getting an inside cabin and am sticking to the comp dining options.

Be careful on inside cabins. Some are very small! Ensure you pick your cabin, check size.

Enjoy your cruise . If you are getting a inside , consider a "sideways" inside cabin . We had one and it was excellent . Larger then regular insides with a different set-up . This was the only inside we have ever taken . If all insides were like this , we might take more .

Is Princess a better fit for someone that wants to stick to comp dining or do Celebrity Solstice class ships have just as many options?

Choose the Regal for a couple more complimentary venues. We found food on our two Regal cruises very good.