Notice @ Ebola screening

Retiring cajun

I am a nurse and we screen every patient in the hospital for travel to high risk countries not just for Ebola but for any highly contagious illness. I think this is the new reality we live with. We live in a global economy with people traveling around the world in just hours. Better safe then sorry. So many illness are too difficult to contain if you wait until after an outbreak occurs. I think the health profession learned their lesson with the outbreaks recently. Ebola and other diseases are out there, we just never know when they will show themselves.

Just checked our next sailing and indeed the following notice appeared when I went to the "Manage Booking" selection.

We wish to advise you that following consultation with international health authorities, we have adopted pre-boarding screening for Ebola Virus Disease. Guests and crew who have visited or traveled through countries with recent outbreaks of Ebola (including Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea), or had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola within 21 days of a cruise departure date will be denied boarding. We are also monitoring bookings for any guests coming from these countries. Princess Cruises has in place robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health guidance. We are monitoring the situation closely, along with our colleagues in the rest of the travel industry. Guests seeking more information on Ebola can visit the World Health Organization's website at http://www.who.int or the CDC website at http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/. Should you have any questions about these travel requirements, please call 1-800-774-6237 (North America), 0843 3740014 (UK), 13 24 88 (Australia), or 0800 780717 (New Zealand) to speak with a Princess Guest Relations agent.

By clicking Continue you acknowledge you have received the above notification.

I am a nurse and we screen every patient in the hospital for travel to high risk countries not just for Ebola but for any highly contagious illness. I think this is the new reality we live with. We live in a global economy with people traveling around the world in just hours. Better safe then sorry. So many illness are too difficult to contain if you wait until after an outbreak occurs. I think the health profession learned their lesson with the outbreaks recently. Ebola and other diseases are out there, we just never know when they will show themselves.

I completely agree. It's important to be safe and given the global economy and business travelers it makes sense that they continue to have us sign a form admitting to not having been in contact with anything that could harm others. However, my issue with this process is people could lie

Yes, I got it this morning when logged into my booking on princess.com.

I was under the impression, that Ebola was no longer an issue. I wonder if someone on board has been recently treated for Ebola and that was the reason for the warning.

No.

This form has been in use since soon after the epidemic broke out in Africa. Other cruise lines use it, not just Princess.

Even though the occurrence of Ebola is now limited to one country, I suspect you will see these forms for years to come or at least until another contagious disease hits the headlines.

Edited by caribill