car rental deals for 2016

mapleleaves

If you're planning DIY land travel in Alaska during the summer of 2016, rent your car now and take advantage of early bird prices. Even if you're still in the planning stages, reserve the car now.

ie the Enterprise office on Int'l Airport Drive, Anchorage still has economy cars for under $200 a week. You can easily pay that for a day if you wait until next summer to reserve a car. Other companies may have similar prices so check around.

I was looking at Avis in Skagway--a compact car is $134 per day. Does it really run that high or are the rates not yet set for next year?

This is a standard- common rate. They usually do not accept a lot of discounts either, and their cars are just about always sold out.

I would call Avis Alaska directly. If no one answers at their Skagway office, call the Anchorage office.

Contact info: http://www.avisalaska.com/

Thanks, I did call and got an mid-size car for $84. They said that all the compact cars were already booked.

I asked about the rumor of running out of cars even though reservations had been made. They said that it happened once 6 years ago when three rentals were returned damaged and could not be rented.

So, is running out of cars an urban myth, or does it routinely happen?

Thanks, I did call and got an mid-size car for $84. They said that all the compact cars were already booked.

I asked about the rumor of running out of cars even though reservations had been made. They said that it happened once 6 years ago when three rentals were returned damaged and could not be rented.

So, is running out of cars an urban myth, or does it routinely happen?

Interesting- every time, I've been there, people are turned away due to sold out, none available- going multiple times EVERY year. They do NOT have reservations. Just trying to get walk up cars. I've, many time's given suggestions of Sourdough and Green Jeep, where Sourdough is usually without cars as well.

Which has nothing to do with what YOU have written- :) about not getting a car WITH a reservation.

I have been up in Anchorage some summers and there is such a shortage of rental cars that people go to Home depot and rent their pick ups. I used to rent cars when I stayed up there for 2-3 weeks and they were more affordable (from rent-a-wreck). I now stay up there 6+weeks and buy a car and sell it when I leave. My nephew lives there and I watch Craigslist and tell him which cars to check out. I do some minor work to them and he sells them after I leave. Have been pretty lucky,sold first one for 3x and second one for 2x what I had spent. I have seen recently on Craigslist where residents are renting their own cars. Motorhome rental is another crazy story!

To pizza lady, how did you get them to lower the rate?

The $84 was their 2016 rate. The rep had no idea why the rate was different on the Avis website. My guess is they have not yet entered the 2016 rates and the rates currently on the website were the 2015 rates when Avis was running low on cars and the price kept going up.

If you're planning DIY land travel in Alaska during the summer of 2016, rent your car now and take advantage of early bird prices. Even if you're still in the planning stages, reserve the car now.

Bad advice, if you mean to make a speculative reservation before you have your firm dates. If you book now then try to change the dates, your new rate for your new dates will be the rate in effect at the time you make the change. So booking early "even if you're still in the planning stages" (if you don't have specific dates) won't work.

If someone already has firm dates but the itinerary is not firm, then yes your advice would make sense.

Pizza lady1.....How in the world did you get that price??? I just called and a mid-size car was $124!!! Could you give me the phone number you called??? The number I had' date=' the lady was in Sitka....Please share!!![/quote']

I called 907-983-2247. The agent was in Skagway. The email came from Vonnie Vilandre <vvilandre@avisalaska.com>.