Question for POA

summer slope

I see these little boats, that look like school busses on water, going around the port. Are they shuttles or true school busses?

The yellow ones are the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxis

http://watertaxi.com/

Most are small boats, but there are some double deckers, which give you a better view if you don't mind sitting outside in the elements. The top deck would be our choice. They're surprisingly cool.

I see these little boats, that look like school busses on water, going around the port. Are they shuttles or true school busses?

What port and can you post a photo of what you are talking about? We have seen school bus boats in the south pacific. I some areas of Central America we have witnessed kids paddling dugout canoes to get to school.

What port and can you post a photo of what you are talking about? We have seen school bus boats in the south pacific. I some areas of Central America we have witnessed kids paddling dugout canoes to get to school.

It is in Ft. Lauderdale. They are visible on the portevergladeswebcam.

The yellow ones are the Fort Lauderdale Water Taxis

http://watertaxi.com/

Most are small boats, but there are some double deckers, which give you a better view if you don't mind sitting outside in the elements. The top deck would be our choice. They're surprisingly cool.

Bet ya those bad boys in yellow are busy during the boat show ;)

Bet ya those bad boys in yellow are busy during the boat show ;)

Yes indeed! Not only that, but the water taxi is self sustaining without public subsidies. That's kind of a big deal.

Yes indeed! Not only that, but the water taxi is self sustaining without public subsidies. That's kind of a big deal.

Looking at that water taxi route map, never knew that what's now the Port Everglades turning basin is also known as Lake Mabel. Same with the entrance channel aka the Stranahan River. The things you learn

Looking at that water taxi route map, never knew that what's now the Port Everglades turning basin is also known as Lake Mabel. Same with the entrance channel aka the Stranahan River. The things you learn

If you get the chance to navigate the intracoastal on a small boat, it's really interesting. You get a whole different perspective.

You are the FLL expert it seem's :)

You have suggested using the water taxi for a Christmas Decoration tour on another thread.

1. Do you think there may be some up by 11-21st?

2. We are staying at the Hilton Marina - I know there is a water taxi right there. In fact, 2 stops - which line would you think we should take for the best tour and how do we KNOW the difference?

3. If we were to get on a water taxi and stay on it - any idea how long it would take to go round trip and end back at the Hilton?

4. If we were to get off to eat somewhere - a local place not to expensive but good. Do you have any suggestion's? We don't need a fine dining just good for a decent price.

5. If we were to get off to dine - how careful do we have to be about making sure we are back by a certain time or stranded without a water taxi service back to the Hilton? We aren't going out drinking for the evening just dinner and a drink along the route of our FLL tour.

Thanking you in advance for any all help

Try to book your water taxi trip ASAP. I know it's sold out the weekend of the Fort Lauderdale Water Christmas Parade. Round trip is about 3 hours if you don't get off and you make good connections.

Is the Water Christmas Parade on November 21st? I have googled it and don't see anything special that evening.

if so I had no idea - hum I may have to pass then as we are driving into FLL that day and not completely sure of our arrival time. Especially IF the Parade is that day.

We will have to get off IF we make it as I know my DH won't stay on it for 3 hour's :-( I am having trouble talking him into even going on for a couple of hour's.

Am I correct to assume that there would be another one heading back to the Hilton along within 15-20 mins?

Edited by hugger

If you get the chance to navigate the intracoastal on a small boat, it's really interesting. You get a whole different perspective.
We did a water tour during the free day on a B2B several days ago. There were 6 cruise ships in port and the boat went in between them. It was awesome the height of the ships.

We did a water tour during the free day on a B2B several days ago. There were 6 cruise ships in port and the boat went in between them. It was awesome the height of the ships.

THAT would be so cool to see. You must have been thrilled at the sight and the feeling of being up close and seeing how truly HUGE the ships are.

We will be arriving at the hotel about the same time the cruise ships are departing on our next cruise this month.

I may need to wait until next year when we have a group of us going. DH is more likely to agree to go and do something when there are other's with us. He is just content to sit and watch the view most of the time. I am the exact opposite want to get out and experience the view ;)

Is the Water Christmas Parade on November 21st? I have googled it and don't see anything special that evening.

if so I had no idea - hum I may have to pass then as we are driving into FLL that day and not completely sure of our arrival time. Especially IF the Parade is that day.

We will have to get off IF we make it as I know my DH won't stay on it for 3 hour's :-( I am having trouble talking him into even going on for a couple of hour's.

Am I correct to assume that there would be another one heading back to the Hilton along within 15-20 mins?

I think it's usually the first or second week in December. You'll be fine in November.

I think it's usually the first or second week in December. You'll be fine in November.

I always watch FLL Boat Parade on the Internet and it is usually around December 14 or so....... a Saturday night. It was December 13 last year. It's wonderful fun!

Edited by sail7seas