Casablanca

Bav

Am I overreacting ?!!! Is it safe to go ashore at CASSABLANCA ?

i I dont feel comfortable with this and will probably stay on board during our cruise on 6th March 2016....unless I can be convinced otherwise.

We took one of the ship's excursions which was very good. Didn't feel uneasy at all. But then that was last year before all these terrible attrocities that obviously have sparked the question.

These, however, can happen anywhere in the world and if you let it worry you then you wouldn't be going anywhere. So my view is, yes you are overreacting. Sorry.

We did a ships trip here and loved it....we went to the Hassan II Mosque on the sea front which was absolutely wonderful, with an excellent guide who explained all the rituals....we also went to the outskirts of the city and saw some wonderful buildings...also to a market...we felt quite safe at all times.

I don't think there have been any problems in Morocco and I don't think the ship would visit if they thought there was any risk to passengers

We did a ships trip here and loved it....we went to the Hassan II Mosque on the sea front which was absolutely wonderful, with an excellent guide who explained all the rituals....we also went to the outskirts of the city and saw some wonderful buildings...also to a market...we felt quite safe at all times.

I don't think there have been any problems in Morocco and I don't think the ship would visit if they thought there was any risk to passengers

I think that's the same tour we did and yes we felt safe.

However, I must disagree with your last statement. The cruise lines have no control over what is happening around the world. For example, 17 of those massacred on the beach in Tunisia were cruise ship passengers and presumably MSC and Costa thought it was safe to visit there. Passengers were recently killed in Alaska when their sightseeing plane crashed and yet the tour would presumably have been deemed safe.

The point I am making is that you just don't know any more, so carpe diem and enjoy instead of worrying.

I've not been to Casablanca but we did call at Tangiers last year and I can honestly say that our ship's excursion to Tetouan was the highlight of the cruise. I would suggest a ship's tour and go explore. If it were that dangerous I doubt P&O would call there, after all terrorism can happen her in the UK too.

Bav

I'm on the same cruise and plan to take one of the ships excursions. It isn't a favourite port, but as there aren't that many cruises that call there, I don't want to miss the opportunity.

The last few years I have been on cruises that have called in to Egypt and Israel. On these I have done a mixture of excursions and my own thing. While you can never guarantee safety, I've not felt threatened and in Port Said, Egypt many locals were keen to talk to me and others who had ventured away from the port area.

While you may be over-reacting, if you are going to worry when you go ashore, then stay on board and enjoy the ship. Don't let the worry spoil what should be a wonderful cruise - we've some other great ports of call.

I'm on Oceana in January and we are due to call in to Colon, Panama - I'll more than likely stay on board as that is a port I have never felt safe in unless on an excursion.

We did this and stopped for tea and snacks we loved it, a highlight of our cruise

In the light of the sad events unfolding in Paris today, is anywhere really safe anymore?

Unfortunately, probably the answer is no. These people have already taken away the freedom of the people in the middle east. Sadly this sort of attack can happen anywhere and we have to show them that they will not succeed in taking away our freedom to go where we want to and to do what we want. Paris has always been one of my favourite cities to visit and to work in. I have many friends living in and around Paris and in other parts of France, my thoughts are with them and the rest if the French population today. Europe has to tighten the borders.

Unfortunately, probably the answer is no. These people have already taken away the freedom of the people in the middle east. Sadly this sort of attack can happen anywhere and we have to show them that they will not succeed in taking away our freedom to go where we want to and to do what we want. Paris has always been one of my favourite cities to visit and to work in. I have many friends living in and around Paris and in other parts of France, my thoughts are with them and the rest if the French population today. Europe has to tighten the borders.

There were trips to Paris from Arcadia a week ago, but I agree that sadly threats exist everywhere. I travel to all major UK cities with my job and am a regular tube user. I would feel as safe waking the streets of Paris today as I would walking the streets of London - which isn't very, but life can't stop I'm either going to be in the wrong place at the wrong time or I'm not. I feel desperately sorry for all victims of mindless acts of violence and terrorism but sadly they seem to be escalating, and I fear we are in as much danger in the UK as anywhere.

I would feel the same about Casablanca. I have visited once a few years ago and it's not somewhere I would bother with again. My husband was nearly mugged in the soukh. He was pushed against a wall and the guy had got his hand in his pocket. Somebody intervened and the bloke ran away. I realize this can happen anywhere though.

We have just come back from a 10 day tour of Morocco and loved it. We never felt under any threat and the people we met were welcoming and friendly. This is our 2nd time in Morocco. Casablanca is not my favourite city as there is little of interest for the tourist, but a ship's tour a worth taking, there are many fascinating places not far away. Their tourist industry is suffering badly due to events in Tunisia and Egypt. Please support them.