Wedding Gift: A Cruise

Hello,

My son is getting married in 2017 (yay!). I would love to gift him and my future dinlaw a cruise for their honeymoon (or whenever they decide) on RCCL.

How do I go about this? Can I book myself or do I buy certificates and let them book?

Thanks in advance!

I verified the dates with my son then I called directly & booked for them. I paid out the cruise over time, purchased the romance package & specialty dining.

I also booked & paid for the private excursions they took at each stop.

There was no problem with me handling the bookings on any of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think you should suggest got honeymoon unless they say they want that. If they do, problem solved because they'll know exact dates and can choose. Otherwise, it's a great gift but has a few challenges. Is your budget wide open? Because if they pick a high volume cruise date vs a low season, the cost may differ dramatically. Or if you were thinking bananas cruise and they are thinking summer Med, again possibly a big difference in price. So, saying you'd like to buy them a cruise may need more context. I'd do up a printed certificate with details like 7 nt Caribbean cruise in a balcony cabin on x date (or date of your choosing). If you only want to spend say $1000 but know most cruises they want are $309, if re-consider. They may not have or want to spend the additional $.

Edited by conandrob240

YOU ARE AN AWESOME MOM!!!

I wish my mother or my mother in law could have afforded to send me on a cruise for my honeymoon. I would have jumped on it, even if it was a 4 nighter out of Galveston, a 7 nighter on Oasis or a 14 night Mediterranean and I had to wait a week, or a couple of months to cruise. Who cares it's a FREE CRUISE!! I was raised to be grateful and appreciate a gift.

What a great gesture!!! Kudos to you!!!

This was also one of my great joys in gifting our DS & DDIL with an amazing honeymoon cruise.....They opted for the western med...I booked everything and easily retained ownership of the booking so I could...

RCI was, as always, great to work with...as I plan all our cruise's personally with them....this was much easier than you might think.

Congrats to them and best of luck to you and enjoy !!

No one said that they wouldn't be appreciative. I am saying 1) don't rock the boat by suggesting where they go/ what they want for their honeymoon. Let them decide and if it's a cruise, simply then offer to pay for it. They may something very different in mind for their once in a lifetime event. And 2) just be sure this is something they want before you buy a gift card. And if a gift card, make sure it covers the cruise. I know people who were given amazing gifts by very thoughtful people of a $500 cruise gift card. Well, they can't afford the rest so it sits unused. Just think it through. I wouldn't buy anything unt you "gift" it and then let them pick dates, destination, etc.

My son and DIL took a cruise for their honeymoon....they booked the cruise on their own, but I paid for an upgrade to a balcony cabin for them, and spending money for "extras"....You can book it totally for them, once you know when they want to go...simply put their names on it! The cruise line doesn't care WHO pays! I wouldn't do "gift card" or anything like that...just book it, and pay for it!

No one said that they wouldn't be appreciative. I am saying 1) don't rock the boat by suggesting where they go/ what they want for their honeymoon. Let them decide and if it's a cruise, simply then offer to pay for it. They may something very different in mind for their once in a lifetime event. And 2) just be sure this is something they want before you buy a gift card. And if a gift card, make sure it covers the cruise. I know people who were given amazing gifts by very thoughtful people of a $500 cruise gift card. Well, they can't afford the rest so it sits unused. Just think it through. I wouldn't buy anything unt you "gift" it and then let them pick dates, destination, etc.

Read OP she said honeymoon or WHENEVER they would like

I sent my parents on a surprise b2b2b for their anniversary a few years ago on SilverSea in a owners suite. I was able to book the cruise initially in my name and switch over to them 2 weeks before sailing to keep it a surprise. Not sure if Royal will do that but I would suggest having a conversation with them to see how to best approach or as some suggest buying a gift card for the cost of the entire cruise or just cruise fare if they want to be flexible in their plans. SilverSea allowed us to be flexible because I paid in full at booking.

Edited by CaribSailor

Read OP she said honeymoon or WHENEVER they would like

Yea, I read it. What I am saying is I wouldn't utter the words "if you want a cruise for your honeymoon". They may have a very different dream and now feel obligated. For a honeymoon, I'd let them decide what they wanted and then pay for it or do as stated above like pay for an upgrade or first class air or something indulgent.

Or if you are going the non- honeymoon or anytime cruise, do not buy a gift card and be clear on what you are gifting (i.e. a 4 nt Bahams cruise in an Inside cabin or a 10 MDE in a suite.

We gave my son and his wife a cruise for their honeymoon. We chose to give them a set amount of money and told them to choose which cruise they would enjoy the most. That way, they controlled the booking and excursions.

Edited to add: I asked them first what they would like to do. Had they wanted an all-inclusive week at a resort, I would have gladly paid for that honeymoon. It is THEIR honeymoon, not the parents so please make sure they want a cruise before you pay for one.

Edited by kalliekae

When DH and I got married in 2011, my in-laws gifted us with a cruise on Allure for our honeymoon. We were expecting to pay for it ourselves so we had been talking about it anyway, so they knew the exact dates, ship, etc. My MIL called RCI and booked it in our names.

Was the best wedding gift we received. You are doing a wonderful thing :)

Edited to add: even if your daughter in law is planning to change her last name, cruise booking needs to match her passport so you will need to use her maiden name. Putting that out there just in case.

Edited by Blondynka

I booked and paid for my parents' 40th anniversary cruise a few years ago. There was no problem whatsoever. I just contacted my travel agent, gave the names, and used my credit card. Since it was their name on the reservation, there was no problem with boarding. I did, however, talk with them first.

Did the same thing for my father this year. He is going with us on the Allure next month. Booked the cruise in his name and used my card. Again, no problem.

I will be one that also says talk to them first. At least to find out if they would ever want to take a cruise.

From the daughter-in-law's point of view, If my in-laws had offered to pay for a cruise, I would have felt a little trapped with my decision. For instance, I may want to do a 14-night European cruise in a suite. If my in-laws were paying, even though I know they could afford it, I probably would have gone for a 7 night Caribbean in a balcony. Don't get me wrong, I would be very appreciative, and I would enjoy any cruise we took. It just wouldn't be my first choice because I wouldn't want to "tell them" to pay that much money. :)

What they did do as a present one year was, as a little joke (because they knew we liked to cruise), bought a jar with "cruise funds" engraved in it. Inside was a check, that we could use for anything.