Victoria - things to do

Urban trekker hit the nail on the head; the beer will get you. It's a pleasant walk either along the waterfront, or amongst older buildings, just keep walking west, you can't really get lost. The walk is about 1 mile. Other options are 30 or 31 (only the later #30s go past the cruise terminal) bus ($2.50) leave from Government @ Belleville (kitty-corner to the Empress)

Of course heading south on govt street, there's the JBI (James Bay Inn); for that one last beer....(made that walk many times)

map:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&ll=48.416499,-123.361015&spn=0.022274,0.066047&z=15

Just a mile? We can handle that, beer included! lol. But I'd like to say thanks for the tip about the bus!!!

• 4 weeks later...

I suggest whale watching while you are in Victoria.

One of the posters on our May Radiance meet and greet thread booked a tour for herself and talked it up so much that 8 others decided to book it. We had a WONDERFUL time, a great learning experience as well as fun, fun, fun! I highly recommend Eagle Wing Tours (here's the link to their website.

They have two boats, and there were so many people booked that they took both out. We got on the bigger, "limousine" craft (so smooth), with Brent Soberg, the owner, as our captain. We were supposed to be out for 3.5 hours but ended up on a 5-hour excursion. The standard whale watching cruise is 3 hours, so we were very, very lucky. And, yes, we saw lots of orcas!

If you book this tour, I know you will not be sorry. Everyone we dealt with was so knowledgable.

Eagle Wing Tours is located at Fisherman's Wharf, so while waiting for your tour, be sure to have fish and chips at Barb's. This was the third time we've gone there and had a wonderful lunch. Nearby, right off the pier, are a number of harbor seals waiting to be fed. Buy some fish at the fish shop next to Barb's, and the seals will jump up for a nible.

Cruise More Often reminded me when I had dinner with her and DH at Carderos that I had to recommend this whale watching company to those that ask about that activity so I third the recommendation.

Cheers and GO CANUCKS GO !!!

Dennis

Nice thread, thanks!

Princess loves to put us into Victoria at 7pm to 11:59pm - so needless to say, not much time. We'll be there 9/11/11. . .what is still open at 10pm and is it better just to stroll the streets by the harbor? If Buchart Garden is 45min drive or more, then of the not quite 5 hours, 1.5 - 2 hrs. would be driving. Not much time to see a garden is it?? Also, I've heard that although they say the garden is lit, it is very dimly lit and not a good thing at night. Any comments?

Nice thread, thanks!

Princess loves to put us into Victoria at 7pm to 11:59pm - so needless to say, not much time. We'll be there 9/11/11. . .what is still open at 10pm and is it better just to stroll the streets by the harbor? If Buchart Garden is 45min drive or more, then of the not quite 5 hours, 1.5 - 2 hrs. would be driving. Not much time to see a garden is it?? Also, I've heard that although they say the garden is lit, it is very dimly lit and not a good thing at night. Any comment

Wonderful place to go....nighttime tour is worth every penny and minute. I'd just make sure you go with the ship sponsored excursion to guarantee getting back on time. We were in Victoria for a daytime stop last month and went out using a tour company next to the Empress. Their shuttle back was delayed due to a wreck and we wound up taking the city bus (including a transfer) back to the ship. Not sure I'd want to risk that for this short amount of time. (BTW, the tour company gave us a total refund for the tour though....excellent company to deal with....but because it's not through the ship you don't have that security that they'll wait for you to get back).

Last time we were lucky enough to have a full day in Victoria.

Had Dim Sum at Don Mee

http://www.donmee.com/

saw FanTan Alley

http://vancouverisland.kulshan.com/British%20Columbia/Vancouver%20Island/Capital%20Area/Victoria/Attractions/Fan%20Tan%20Alley.htm

Had tea at Murchies

http://www.murchies.com/

Bought chocolates at Rogers

went to the Royal Museum

and found Mackintosh Toffee

http://www.canadasfood.com/history_products/mackintoshs_toffee.php

at the candy store across the way from Murchies and up the street from the newer (smaller) Rogers Chocolates store. The original store has a ghost.

When we were in Victoria for 6 hours we did a ship sponsored tour to the gardens. It was very rushed but did give us a quick overview.

No, not at all. A passenger manifest has been provided to Canadian customs in advance and it is just a simple walk by the customs. No passport is required but it is a good idea to have some form of picture ID.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can walk into town - it is a little over a mile from the Ogden Point terminal to the Inner Harbour and will take about 30 minutes - there are several routes that oyu can take but I will let some of the locals give a better description than I can.

You don`t say which night of the week you will be there but as the downtown core of Victoria relies heavily on the tourist trade the bulk of the stores should be open to at least 9 or 10 PM

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

My Westerdam cruise in two weeks docks in Victoria at 6 p.m. Can we walk into town from the terminal? Are shops open?

Thanks!!!!

Yes, it's not far, and quite a nice walk. This map should help:http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=212770407613531027445.0004665d7f3e28f06866d&msa=0&ll=48.415673,-123.364792&spn=0.020964,0.055747

My Westerdam cruise in two weeks docks in Victoria at 6 p.m. Can we walk into town from the terminal? Are shops open?

Thanks!!!!

Plan that the walk will take about 20/25 mins, it is very flat, safe and if you walk along the water is very picturesque. If you find you are tired when returning you can grab a cab back for less than $10 or catch a #31 bus along Douglas St. for $2.50 pp or $1.65 if over 65...CDN funds only please.:)

Thank you so much Urban Trekker and Scottbee and Putterdude. I'll be in Victoria Friday evening, Aug 5. I am a walker and love to experience new places on foot. Very happy to know it is a safe walk.

C.

Oh my Putterdude! You just reminded me that I have a bunch of Canadian cash that I have stored away from my last trip to Canada back in the 90's. Going to dig it out immediately!

If it's going bad...then just mail it to me, I will look after it for you.:D

If it's going bad...then just mail it to me, I will look after it for you.:D

That's funny. There certainly isn't enough for anyone to get rich on. I just pulled it out of my travel drawer among some Thai and Peru currency. Good thing I sorted it out. All looked the same at first glance.

Thank you so much Urban Trekker and Scottbee and Putterdude. I'll be in Victoria Friday evening, Aug 5. I am a walker and love to experience new places on foot. Very happy to know it is a safe walk.

C.

If you want an alternate walk going back, walk due south on Government Street (or Douglas Road alongside Beacon Hill Park) until you hit Dallas Rd and then turn right on Dallas Rd and follow it back to the cruise terminal at Ogden Pt. Of course you can always stop at the James Bay Inn pub for a beer going that way too!

If you want an alternate walk going back, walk due south on Government Street (or Douglas Road alongside Beacon Hill Park) until you hit Dallas Rd and then turn right on Dallas Rd and follow it back to the cruise terminal at Ogden Pt. Of course you can always stop at the James Bay Inn pub for a beer going that way too!

Thanks. Will make note of that :)

Great thread!

I was in Victoria last year in the evening hours only and was impressed by the beautiful Inner Harbor area. We had fish and chips at a pub recommended by the shuttle driver right where we were dropped off and it was very good, then walked around and shopped until the stores closed (by 9PM most were closed). Our ship was late arriving, so that was a bit of a disappointment. We took pictures of the Parliament Building all lit up. Very few street performers, though - another disappointment. After a while we headed back to the ship to pack as we were ending our cruise the next day. Here are my pictures from that evening.

We are fortunate to be back in Victoria next May for a full day (8 AM - midnight) and are just beginning to make our plans. Visiting Butchart is our number one priority. Since we have so long of a day I am thinking of other things to do - whale watching? A carriage ride to see more of Victoria than I saw last time? Due to knee and hip pain long walks are not an option for me, but I am far from handicapped. I was thinking of leaving for Butchart after lunch and something else in the morning. Any other suggestions for what we should do? We will be on a Pacific Coastal cruise, not Alaska this time. That is why I was looking at the whale watching for Victoria.

Archived