Taking wine from the ding room

Westyone

Assuming you are one the wine package, if you do not finish your bottle of wine, are you permitted to take it to your room, or must you leave it? Are you permitted to take food from the dining room to your room? I'm thinking of something like a small plate of cheese to enjoy in your room later.

Thanks for your reply. When I asked, the Hurtigruten rep said we "probably" could but she sounded like she wasn't really sure.

Do you have a cruise booked? We are booked for January and I do hope these worldwide difficulties will not worsen.

Hi Westyone,

Yes, we are booked for Nov. 30 sailing. I've been following the crises on Facebook and on their blog. We are looking forward.

We are planning to purchase a wine package onboard. I was told that they will put names or cabin numbers on the bottles like other cruise lines do, and put them away until the next meal. They mentioned something about not wanting to worry about people having too much in their cabins which apparently has caused challenges for them in the past. It sounds like a safety issue on this type of cruise.

It will be a strange feeling to be so far away from the world and out of touch for the most part, not knowing what is happening. I'm sure the ship will keep us updated on the news.

Edited by eggydreams
Added tought

Hi Westyone,

Yes, we are booked for Nov. 30 sailing. I've been following the crises on Facebook and on their blog. We are looking forward.

We are planning to purchase a wine package onboard. I was told that they will put names or cabin numbers on the bottles like other cruise lines do, and put them away until the next meal. They mentioned something about not wanting to worry about people having too much in their cabins which apparently has caused challenges for them in the past. It sounds like a safety issue on this type of cruise.

It will be a strange feeling to be so far away from the world and out of touch for the most part, not knowing what is happening. I'm sure the ship will keep us updated on the news.

You really don't need to be "out of touch" unless you want to be. WiFi is reliable on the ships, though you may need to go to one of the lounges to connect. If it is a rainy port day we sometimes go to the local public library where for a small donation you can use their services, or if you want a private secure connection, look into renting a tep. We find it kind of relaxing to be out of touch, especially in that part of the world.

There is also a news leaflet posted every day for different countries (at least UK, US, Germany, France), which gives an overview of the world news and the main news from the country.

But there is not much you can do about the going of the world anyway, so being able to take a step back for a few days is indeed very relaxing.

Hi Westyone,

Hi Adruenne and Ben,

I was about to ask you some questions about your plans for the Norway cruise but now I see you are going to Antarctica. I do wish you happy sailing. Let us know how you enjoyed your trio when you return.

Carol & Fred

There is also a news leaflet posted every day for different countries (at least UK, US, Germany, France), which gives an overview of the world news and the main news from the country.

But there is not much you can do about the going of the world anyway, so being able to take a step back for a few days is indeed very relaxing.

Hi Sarnia,

I have been reading your posts (past & present) for a few months and thank you for all the information that you share. Your enthusiasm for the winter trip has given us more confidence to book for January. Seeing the Northern lights is on my husband's bucket list.

Ever since the events in Paris last Friday I have wanted to reach out to someone in France, but do not really know anyone. So if you will allow me on behalf of my fellow Americans to express to you and your fellow French men and women our heartfelt sympathy, love and prayer. We live in New Jersey where we could see the plume from the twin towers on 9/11. Perhaps we know a bit of how you are feeling.

My friend and I have been to Paris twice for river cruises and were enchanted with your country. Those trips top the list of the wonderful places we have visited.

Carol

For the avoidance of any confusion, the following is in reference to the Fram.

We are planning to purchase a wine package onboard.

To make the wine package work needs some effort in the consumption department. At least it does for us...!

I was told that they will put names or cabin numbers on the bottles like other cruise lines do, and put them away until the next meal.

Yes, they will write your cabin number, and the date purchased, on the bottle and store it for you. Just ask for it when you next want it. I'm not sure why they add the date.

There's no problem in taking it out of the dining room to your cabin or the bar. I have never seen anyone with a bottle in a lecture though.

There is a daily news sheet available on a display just inside the port-side entrance to the bar.

Thank you so much Westyone for all your kind thoughts. The support coming towards France from all over the world is heart-warming.

And enjoy your trip! I believe that keeping on loving and living and laughing is also a way to fight the barbary.

A great philosophy, Sarnia. It is impossible to hate when you are living, loving and laughing.

It's in the 40's tonight and I just tried out my new down coat walking the dog......nice and warm. Very much looking forward to our trip in January.