Can I get some Labadee Haiti port info aboard Oasis of the Seas?

tusconcam

Hi there. I have booked a Western Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas and it stops in Labadee as one of the ports. I have booked a roller-coaster ride and a trip as a passenger on a jet-ski. I was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experiences doing those things. I wonder if you felt you had to tip your jet-ski driver. Are there lockers anywhere on the island?

Did you enjoy their buffet that the ship puts out? Were you rushed eating? What time would you recommend getting to the buffet set-up to minimize chaos with the throngs of others eating or is that unavoidable?

I have heard that Columbus Beach/cove is a nice beach area, although wear water-shoes. Would you advise taking the tram there or just walking? Can someone let me know about this beach? I have purchased a soda package already; is it worth it bringing my glass that goes with the drink pass with me, or are the drinks offered for free at the buffet sufficient?

Any other tips to this stop? I realize it is not authentic/cultural and a bit artificial, but will I enjoy it if I go in with the mindset that I want to relax on a beach in the heat predominantly with little exotic cultural expectations?

Thanks for any help/info you can pass on to me about Labadee.

YOU drive your jet-ski....it's a "follow the leader" thing. No tipping needed.

The buffet is basic BBQ/Cookout food...burgers, dogs, ribs, chicken...and the sides. Nothing fancy, but fine.

Don't bring your glass....not needed or useful...no soda machines....your soda will be poured from 2 liter bottles.

Please..have no "cultural" expectations....this is a cruise line built beach area....could be anywhere....

To further clarify the jet ski question, there aren't any "designated drivers" per se. A passenger rides behind someone you've decided will drive. For example, my daughter drove the jet ski and I rode behind her as her passenger. If you are going solo, then you will need to revise the booking and be the driver.

There are lockers in several places on the island. It seems to be like I paid to rent them, but that was several years ago.

Edited by vickiw0318

Hi there. I have booked a Western Caribbean cruise on Oasis of the Seas and it stops in Labadee as one of the ports. I have booked a roller-coaster ride and a trip as a passenger on a jet-ski. I was wondering if anyone could chime in on their experiences doing those things. I wonder if you felt you had to tip your jet-ski driver. Are there lockers anywhere on the island?

Did you enjoy their buffet that the ship puts out? Were you rushed eating? What time would you recommend getting to the buffet set-up to minimize chaos with the throngs of others eating or is that unavoidable?

I have heard that Columbus Beach/cove is a nice beach area, although wear water-shoes. Would you advise taking the tram there or just walking? Can someone let me know about this beach? I have purchased a soda package already; is it worth it bringing my glass that goes with the drink pass with me, or are the drinks offered for free at the buffet sufficient?

Any other tips to this stop? I realize it is not authentic/cultural and a bit artificial, but will I enjoy it if I go in with the mindset that I want to relax on a beach in the heat predominantly with little exotic cultural expectations?

Thanks for any help/info you can pass on to me about Labadee.

In regards to the buffet - It runs from 11 - 1:30. The mass amounts of people that will be eating there is unavoidable. There are two buffets, one at the beginning of the island and another at the end of the island. Both were jammed when we were there in Sept. There will be some natives there playing music and selling their wares. There are braiding stations as well.

The roller coaster is cool. It's a real coaster , meaning you control it. There's no linked roller coaster cars, it's just 1 car for 2 people and you control the brakes. I know that sounds crazy but it's pretty cool and perfectly safe.

Regarding Columbus Cove

It is the ONLY beach that there is NO NEED for water shoes.

Soft white sand leading into the water and in the water.

There are 3 ways to access this beach which is located on the right side, all the way in the back.

Take the ferry over to the beach from the dock, near the front of the ship - walk through the entrance up to the first round-about and take the tram to the last stop at Columbus Cove - or walk on the path that goes past Barefoot Beach (gold card holders) and Nellie's Beach keeping to the right walking on a trail near the shoreline (may want to wear sneakers for this) past the Aqua Park and you arrive at Columbus Cove.

There is a covered food pavilion there for the BBQ, steel cymbal music from a live band and plenty of palm trees for shade over your lounger.

Though this is the nicest beach at Labadee not many cruisers make it back that far for a variety of reasons.

Enjoy your day at the beach.