Looking for info on the Artist Loft

Leejnd4

Hello O cruisers,

My first Oceania cruise leaves in just a few weeks. I've been researching it like crazy, and feel pretty well prepared...but I just became more interested in learning more about the Artist Lost.

I understand that this is a venue that offers classes and workshops in various artistic endeavors. I happen to be a very creative type - I quilt, I make jewelry, I do underwater photography, etc. I'm also expecting to spend more time than I usually do on the ship, rather than in the ports, as this is a Caribbean cruise going to islands that I've mostly been to, and I'm mainly interested in the scuba diving. I'll be done with diving by mid-day every day, and will likely spend the afternoons onboard.

I have read that the Artist Loft for every cruise is different, and the offerings vary widely. Is that because they have a different "Artist in Residence" on each cruise? Will this artist generally specialize in only one art form only? Or will they offer different mediums?

Other questions:

How does one sign up for the classes?

How often do they have them...and when?

Are there any costs involved?

How many people are usually in the classes?

Is there any way to find out what the classes will be on my upcoming cruise?

I'm very interested in hearing your experiences with this enrichment activity. Thanks! :)

My wife loves this and it the prime reason we cruise Oceania. Yes it is free, they had it each day. On the last one there was a official class each day however the place was open all day with the artist and his wife there. On our trips they were painting, drawing etc. The classes were very full, I do not remember a sign up. Go early the first day so you can get a cubby to store your stuff in. The Artist was going to be on for around 6 weeks. They change often. Have a great time, I am sure you know this however they are only on the large ships to my knowledge.

They had crafts on one of our cruises

but as others have said go early

If you like needlepoint they usually have a morning gathering in Horizons where people will get the kit (free I think) Check the CURRENTS for times

Edited by LHT28

I loved the Artists Loft and attended every sea day on our Tahiti cruise. The class was offered every morning at 10 am and unless they changed that time you would not make it if you are out diving every morning.

Our teacher was fantastic and taught different techniques, painting mostly with acrylics. I am a beginner artist and I learned so much and cannot wait to get back to it on our upcoming cruise.

They did hand out needlepoint kits in the Horizons lounge and I hope they are still doing so.

We had a great husband (photography) and wife (fabric arts) team on our Caribbean cruise on Marina, but it was several years ago, so who knows who's on Marina now. I was happy there was no painting or drawing involved, as I can't draw a THING. I'm hoping there's something good on our next cruise, which has a LOT of sea days (South Pacific), which I'm not used to.

Yes, go early, classes are popular.

GREAT feedback, thanks! Especially the part about getting in there early to reserve a cubby. Our first day is a sea day, so I'll be sure to get there early.

I'm a bit disappointed that they only have the classes in the mornings...that means that I will probably not get to spend too much time there. But it's a ten day cruise, and I'm only diving at 5 islands, so hopefully I'll find time to experience it.

We had a great husband (photography) and wife (fabric arts) team on our Caribbean cruise on Marina, but it was several years ago, so who knows who's on Marina now. I was happy there was no painting or drawing involved, as I can't draw a THING. I'm hoping there's something good on our next cruise, which has a LOT of sea days (South Pacific), which I'm not used to.

Yes, go early, classes are popular.

I too am not much into drawing/painting! But I love fabric arts. And having a photographer there would be awesome...especially if they can offer assistance with processing photos in Lightroom. I could use some help with that. Although I've never tried needlepoint, hey I'm game!

Thanks for all the info everyone. :)

On our trips the classes were all different times dependent on the ship schedule and the artist.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Oh, good to know! So maybe I'll get lucky and they will have afternoon classes. I'll be sure to get there early the first morning so I can get a bead on what's going down for the rest of the cruise.

My wife loves this and it the prime reason we cruise Oceania. Yes it is free, they had it each day. On the last one there was a official class each day however the place was open all day with the artist and his wife there. On our trips they were painting, drawing etc. The classes were very full, I do not remember a sign up. Go early the first day so you can get a cubby to store your stuff in. The Artist was going to be on for around 6 weeks. They change often. Have a great time, I am sure you know this however they are only on the large ships to my knowledge.

Hi Hypercafe

You mentioned that the artist was going to be on board for 6 weeks. Which ship are you on? When did you cruise? I am trying to learn who the artist might be on our upcoming TA on the Marina. My husband also loved this and really appreciated the artist flexibility the artist gave them.

Anyone on Marina now know who is the Restaurant Manager on board and if they are staying on to do the TA? We are trying to see if an old staff friend will be there.

Thanks for the information

We have just returned from a Riviera cruise and the art classes were held between 16.00 and 18.00 on most days of our 10 day cruise. As others have said get there early and that may well include your boarding day, so do check. The first day of our cruise was a briefing by the artist and all the classes were full and some were unable to get in. The classes were painting only and all abilities were welcome. Like you I am more into jewellery and textiles and on a cruise a couple of years ago we had a mixed media artist who was fantastic.

As far as needlepoint is concerned this normally takes the form of a coffee get together with the social hostess. She will provide kits for you to stitch during your cruise. I think this takes place on a sea day, so keep an eye out in the currents.

Enjoy your cruise and crafts.

Hi Hypercafe

Anyone on Marina now know who is the Restaurant Manager on board and if they are staying on to do the TA? We are trying to see if an old staff friend will be there.

Thanks for the information

Well, since I'd love to know which managers are on board Marina now, I'll add my desire to know who the cruise director and captain are. We don't cruise until early January, so things could change, but having the names of people who are there now would still be interesting. We're used to getting that info in our personalized cruise booklet, but this time the officers aren't listed.

As for photography classes, the photographer's sessions were along the lines of how to improve the composition of a shot, software to use for photo slideshows, and things of that nature. I kind of doubt Lightroom classes will be ever be offered, since there aren't computers in the Loft, plus the instructors and Oceania try to offer classes that appeal to people with a range of experience and equipment. However, I suppose most instructors would be willing to stay after a class to answer a wide range of questions from guests.

Last time I went, plus time before, the classes were at different times, but as someone already said, it probably depends a lot upon when the artists want to hold the classes.

We have just returned from a Riviera cruise and the art classes were held between 16.00 and 18.00 on most days of our 10 day cruise. As others have said get there early and that may well include your boarding day, so do check. The first day of our cruise was a briefing by the artist and all the classes were full and some were unable to get in. The classes were painting only and all abilities were welcome. Like you I am more into jewellery and textiles and on a cruise a couple of years ago we had a mixed media artist who was fantastic.

As far as needlepoint is concerned this normally takes the form of a coffee get together with the social hostess. She will provide kits for you to stitch during your cruise. I think this takes place on a sea day, so keep an eye out in the currents.

Enjoy your cruise and crafts.

Oh that timing would be GREAT! I will keep my fingers crossed that the schedule will remain this way until my cruise.

I'll keep my eye out for the needlepoint clatches. Sounds like fun. :)

As for photography classes, the photographer's sessions were along the lines of how to improve the composition of a shot, software to use for photo slideshows, and things of that nature. I kind of doubt Lightroom classes will be ever be offered, since there aren't computers in the Loft, plus the instructors and Oceania try to offer classes that appeal to people with a range of experience and equipment. However, I suppose most instructors would be willing to stay after a class to answer a wide range of questions from guests.

Yeah, that makes sense. But if it's an artist with some knowledge of shooting in raw, and he/she is willing to give me a little private instruction using Lightroom on my computer, I might get lucky. :) I'm hoping to have a ton of underwater shots from my dives to process, so any Lightroom tips will be helpful.