Radiance Re-vitalisation

KazAllen

• 1 month later...

Just off Radiance. She will dry dock at Portland after her repo from Sydney to Vancouver. Standard 5 year maintenance checks plus renewing carpets, furniture, pool clean etc. no mention of upgrades, not to say they wont.

Would be good if shower doors were fitted. No probs with JS as shower is over bath.

Next cruise sales office has already been moved from deck 12 to deck 5 next to Cafe Lattitudes. Nice and bright but takes up some seating space and very noisy being close to Centrum activities.

Just off Radiance. She will dry dock at Portland after her repo from Sydney to Vancouver. Standard 5 year maintenance checks plus renewing carpets, furniture, pool clean etc. no mention of upgrades, not to say they wont.

Would be good if shower doors were fitted. No probs with JS as shower is over bath.

Next cruise sales office has already been moved from deck 12 to deck 5 next to Cafe Lattitudes. Nice and bright but takes up some seating space and very noisy being close to Centrum activities.

Which Portland? I believe her last dry dock was in Vancouver.

Edited by clarea

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Any updates? We're scheduled in June :)

Just got off 5/27 Radiance cruise. I couldn't tell that anything had been done in dry dock at all. She's tired. Our balcony was being painted in port. You see rust everywhere. Voom is a joke- don't bother. We constantly got dropped off service, maybe would have 5 minutes of internet, then lose it again. There are still plumbing issues- yellow water a couple of days. My friends cabin flooded twice. I feel RCI is neglecting the smaller classes of ship and focusing too much on Oasis and Anthem class.

I can't really say what was done, we didn't have any internet problems, but were only one of two groups in our roll call who didn't. The ship is still aged, we had a broken lamp in our room, the AC was mediocre, and we had plumbing problems. No yellow water or flooding, but every three or four flushes the toilet would just refuse to flush for a couple hours. There was quite a bit of painting still going on, and one of the elevators was broken but I think that happened during our cruise; the glass window was almost shattered.

We were on board for May 27 SB Alaska sailing. The refurbishment was a "technical refurb" only - it didn't have much impact on guest areas.

VOOM worked "ok" for surfing, but streaming did not work well (often we couldn't buffer enough content to stream). We purchased VOOM in advance on cruise planner, and asked for and received a refund on day 2.

Water was shut off for about 15 minutes one day, which did cause brownish/yellowish water to discharge from the pipes for a while after it was turned back on ... it didn't last long in our cabin and we didn't really consider it an issue.

We had an aft balcony, and they did come in our room on a port day to complete some exterior painting. It didn't impact us at all.

All in all, Radiance is showing her age a bit, but still quite a nice ship.

Since the plumbing issues were known before dry dock they should've done everything to fix it while having other repairs done

Their Radiance and Vision class is ageing, maybe RCL will get some "edge" size ships as well to replace this part of the fleet. I anyway guess if they do, they will have max 5 smaller ships than voyager class in the future looking at the trend at larger ships

Since the plumbing issues were known before dry dock they should've done everything to fix it while having other repairs done

Their Radiance and Vision class is ageing, maybe RCL will get some "edge" size ships as well to replace this part of the fleet. I anyway guess if they do, they will have max 5 smaller ships than voyager class in the future looking at the trend at larger ships

I would not say the Radiance Class is aging. Problems, yes...but not old. Jewel is only 12 years old, and Radiance is 15. I'd say they'll all be around for at least 10 more years.