How much cash (small bills) do you bring for miscellaneous tipping on 7 night Allure

poopin

You are correct LuCruise. That is what the gratuities are for. You do not need to tip extra in cash when you are on board. tips in the spa and bar are added to your receipt. The staff do work hard and deserve their prepaid gratuities, but I don't give them extra for doing their job.

I might give extra to Steward or nice bar person.

On shore is a different matter, I try to make sure I have plenty of smaller bills then.

Thanks for clarifying. And clever of Royal to automatically add gratuities to items. Think I heard that with drinks and things too if you buy a-la-carte.

But yes, no harm in giving a little extra if wanted to good service.

I prepay everything. I will need some $20 for maybe at the end of the cruise for additional tip for the service personnel on the ship. Bar service is 18% which is more than enough for a drink. Drop off porters are not service personnel, and do not require tips.

Off the ship is different. Everyone has their hands out. So depending on what you are doing, you should have some small bills available.

None. The prepaid gratuities covers everyone.

Not really. Not taxi or porter, not free drinks in diamond lounges, and it is customary to tip a bit for room service deliveries. Any tipping necessary off the ship in ports is obviously not in pre-paid gratuities. Pre-paid only applies to regular bar service and food and cabin service. And if you are a big drinker, and buy a package, the added tip is a pittance compared to the service you get, so an additional tip now and then for good bar service is not unrealistic.

Not really. Not taxi or porter, not free drinks in diamond lounges, and it is customary to tip a bit for room service deliveries. Any tipping necessary off the ship in ports is obviously not in pre-paid gratuities. Pre-paid only applies to regular bar service and food and cabin service. And if you are a big drinker, and buy a package, the added tip is a pittance compared to the service you get, so an additional tip now and then for good bar service is not unrealistic.

I don't use a porter. I tip the taxi via my credit card. There is no tip necessary with the free drinks in the diamond lounge. I use the free drink vouchers and dip via the SeaPass account. I don't use room service. Pre-paid does not apply to regular bar service and I tip via the SeaPass account. It the tip is included in the price, then the tip is included in the price. If not, and I have to sign a receipt, I can add the tip then.

Still no need for extra funds.

Always fascinating to read how people tip.

We only use $1's for the baggage longshoremen, and for drinks in the clubs, maybe $10 per day. Any drinks with a receipt, I write in an additional gratuity at the beginning of the cruise. Since the drink gratuity increased 20% we have tipped less.

Plus $200 in $20's, $10's and $5's for excursions, and port stuff.

We always have something left and that goes to our ship staff.

So $300.

This is our first cruise and we are planning on prepaying gratuities but it has been highly recommended that we bring a bunch of small denomination bills for additional tips. What/how much do you usually bring?

I don't. Once you've paid the gratuity you're all set. No need to tip extra.

You are correct (says the extra tipper who seems to always get served before you).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Served what? I don't have any problems getting served.

Same here. Have never not gotten service in a timely manner. If I didn't get served in a timely manner or if they served someone who say got to a bar after me before serving me, they would be seeing the auto-tips reduced.

No requirement to tip a taxi driver, porter, for free drinks, or room service. If one wishes to, then by all means do so, but no requirement. So the statement that prepaid (or postpaid) gratuities covers everything is certainly valid.

I don't use a porter. I tip the taxi via my credit card. There is no tip necessary with the free drinks in the diamond lounge. I use the free drink vouchers and dip via the SeaPass account. I don't use room service. Pre-paid does not apply to regular bar service and I tip via the SeaPass account. It the tip is included in the price, then the tip is included in the price. If not, and I have to sign a receipt, I can add the tip then.

Still no need for extra funds.

So you do tip extra but put it on your seapass or credit card. Not exactly "prepaid", but a different way to pay without bills. I prefer to pay in small bills rather than have to account for an assortment of small charges, so its just style points. OP seemed to be wanting to establish a budget where they did use cash rather than putting everything on plastic, or stiffing someone.

When you get free drinks in the diamond lounge, they will certainly not twist your arm and force you to pull out your wallet, but the plain truth is that you will be thought of as cheap if you never tip. Your call there, but I prefer to show my appreciation with an appropriate tip. If you never tip them, you have stiffed them, cuz they do rely on tips, and essentially worked for almost nothing while serving you. As others have said, don't be surprised if others get served before you do. OP may not have access to DL, so this is probably a moot point anyway.

If you don't use a porter on the way in I guess you carry on all your luggage, which is fine, but not what the vast majority do.

no requirement to tip a taxi driver, porter, for free drinks, or room service. If one wishes to, then by all means do so, but no requirement. So the statement that prepaid (or postpaid) gratuities covers everything is certainly valid.

wow.

Always fascinating to read how people tip.

We only use $1's for the baggage longshoremen, and for drinks in the clubs, maybe $10 per day. Any drinks with a receipt, I write in an additional gratuity at the beginning of the cruise. Since the drink gratuity increased 20% we have tipped less.

Plus $200 in $20's, $10's and $5's for excursions, and port stuff.

We always have something left and that goes to our ship staff.

So $300.

Yes it is fascinating. And sometimes a bit disheartening. I do like the way you roll though.

So you do tip extra but put it on your seapass or credit card. Not exactly "prepaid", but a different way to pay without bills. I prefer to pay in small bills rather than have to account for an assortment of small charges, so its just style points. OP seemed to be wanting to establish a budget where they did use cash rather than putting everything on plastic, or stiffing someone.

When you get free drinks in the diamond lounge, they will certainly not twist your arm and force you to pull out your wallet, but the plain truth is that you will be thought of as cheap if you never tip. Your call there, but I prefer to show my appreciation with an appropriate tip. If you never tip them, you have stiffed them, cuz they do rely on tips, and essentially worked for almost nothing while serving you. As others have said, don't be surprised if others get served before you do. OP may not have access to DL, so this is probably a moot point anyway.

If you don't use a porter on the way in I guess you carry on all your luggage, which is fine, but not what the vast majority do.

The cruise ship is a cashless society if you don't gamble (I only gambled once in 28 cruises). I am not going to run around the ship with cash.

I have cards that get me one free checked bag on American, Delta and United. So I've learned to pack what I need into one bag (with wheels). If it is a long cruise, I'll use the laundry. The only time I've had to tip extra is when I was in a suite on NCL for the concierge and the buttler, and for that I didn't need small bills. I was in a suite on Royal Caribbean once. The concierge was useless. I would not have tipped him if I had $10,010 on me in small unmarked bills.

Over the next thirteen months I'll be in a suite on Royal Caribbean and on NCL. If warranted, I'll tip (I tipped the butler on NCL and his remark was, that he didn't do anything for me - he had, even if it was not that much).

Nonetheless, the ship is cashless and if it don't go on the SeaPass I am not going to haul around a bunch of small bills.

Edited by Cuizer2

So do you agree or is the truth just shocking? :confused:

I was brought up better than that, so no, I do not agree. Never plan in advance to stiff any service person where tipping is appropriate. If service is bad, that's another issue, but I prefer to at least be prepared to pay a reasonable tip for good service where it is customary to do so. Just because they won't throw you in jail if you stiff a worker does not make it right. Heck, feel free to run down to GS and remove all your prepaid tips as well to pay your bar bill if you want. Just don't expect others to respect your decision and not say WOW.

Anyway, I did not think the OP was not looking at how cheap they could get away with being. I felt that they were looking for usual and customary amounts to be prepared to tip.

Edited by Doug S

I was brought up better than that, so no, I do not agree. Never plan in advance to stiff any service person where tipping is appropriate. If service is bad, that's another issue, but I prefer to at least be prepared to pay a reasonable tip for good service where it is customary to do so. Just because they won't throw you in jail if you stiff a worker does not make it right. Heck, feel free to run down to GS and remove all your prepaid tips as well to pay your bar bill if you want. Just don't expect others to respect your decision and not say WOW.

Why would people run to the grand suite and shouldn't that be up to the GS, since the GS is on the upper decks?

Anyway, I did not think the OP was not looking at how cheap they could get away with being. I felt that they were looking for usual and customary amounts to be prepared to tip.

Sorry but I disagree with your assessment that someone who does not tip above the required auto-tips is a bad person (based on your statement that you were brought up better than that). My local Dunkin Donuts now has a tip jar on the counter, is that considered a location where, as you put it, tipping is appropriate? If not, then just who decides when tipping is appropriate? IMO, I believe that is up to each and every person and no one is better or worse for doing or not doing so.

I also do not believe I have stiffed anyone if I have paid for a service. I pay for a haircut which pays for the barber, why the need to tip? I pay for a taxi ride which pays for the driver, why the need to tip. Who get's to decide who should be tipped and who not? BTW, I have never removed my auto-tips and never expect to as I know that is part of the expectations of cruising. But tipping say a dollar on top of the 18% tip already included on a drink or tipping in a specialty restaurant when the tip is already included in the price IMO is absurd and even more so when others tell me I should be expected to do so. Just like Dunkin Donuts expecting me to tip there.....completely absurd.

Also, I am not trying to get anyone to agree or believe what I believe nor am I calling someone who over tips (or double tips) a wealthy person trying to show off. As I stated before, it's up to each person to decide and no matter which decision is made, it is the right one. So in that aspect, you weren't raised any better or any worse than I, just differently.

I always bring 20 $2 bills....In the Caribbean they are considered good luck...

Others seem to like the oddity of a $2 bill.....

I give them out on the ship to any of the crew that go out of their way to do something special....or if they are just nice....

Happy Sailing to Us All

Bob E

Sorry but I disagree with your assessment that someone who does not tip above the required auto-tips is a bad person (based on your statement that you were brought up better than that). My local Dunkin Donuts now has a tip jar on the counter, is that considered a location where, as you put it, tipping is appropriate? If not, then just who decides when tipping is appropriate? IMO, I believe that is up to each and every person and no one is better or worse for doing or not doing so.

I also do not believe I have stiffed anyone if I have paid for a service. I pay for a haircut which pays for the barber, why the need to tip? I pay for a taxi ride which pays for the driver, why the need to tip. Who get's to decide who should be tipped and who not? BTW, I have never removed my auto-tips and never expect to as I know that is part of the expectations of cruising. But tipping say a dollar on top of the 18% tip already included on a drink or tipping in a specialty restaurant when the tip is already included in the price IMO is absurd and even more so when others tell me I should be expected to do so. Just like Dunkin Donuts expecting me to tip there.....completely absurd.

Also, I am not trying to get anyone to agree or believe what I believe nor am I calling someone who over tips (or double tips) a wealthy person trying to show off. As I stated before, it's up to each person to decide and no matter which decision is made, it is the right one. So in that aspect, you weren't raised any better or any worse than I, just differently.

WOW again. You may want to rationalize and feel like you don't stiff anybody, but trust me when I say at least in the US and most of this region, a cab driver, barber, Diamond lounge server, room service or pizza delivery guy, porter or waiter does feel stiffed if you don't tip. If you had ever worked in an industry where tips made up part of your income you would surely feel differently.

This does not mean you have to drop money in every tip jar you see or tip extra when automatic gratuities apply. But automatic gratuities only cover a limited number of servers that are customarily tipped, but as your name implies, if you don't care, I can't change your mind here. I just have to live with my life choices and treating people fairly who provide a service to me is part of that.