Jewel to Mexico: Review, Photos, and Video tour of ship

Sheebah

I was on this sailing as well. We found service to be hit and miss...great sometimes and indifferent other times. We ate only in the included restaurants. Buffet a bit of a zoo and never enough seating in prime times, but food good. Tsars is open for lunch on embarkation day if u want a quiet meal. Splash academy was excellent and the youth counselors had great energy. They had pirates night, pj night, circus workshops, arts and crafts etc. Nickelodeon activities such as Dora's dance party and Slime time was great for kids.

We had the promo drink package and enjoyed the convenience but after adding up our receipts for the week it was about 400 for 2 people so we would not actually pay for the ubp.

Edited by SA71

I was on this sailing as well. We found service to be hit and miss...great sometimes and indifferent other times. We ate only in the included restaurants. Buffet a bit of a zoo and never enough seating in prime times, but food good. Tsars is open for lunch on embarkation day if u want a quiet meal. Splash academy was excellent and the youth counselors had great energy. They had pirates night, pj night, circus workshops, arts and crafts etc. Nickelodeon activities such as Dora's dance party and Slime time was great for kids.

We had the promo drink package and enjoyed the convenience but after adding up our receipts for the week it was about 400 for 2 people so we would not actually pay for the ubp.

I love going to the dining room lunch on embarkation day. Do you remember the times it is operating?

I'm glad your family enjoyed the splash academy..the staff seemed amazing when we met them at pizza and cupcake making. I'm with u on the upd....I can't drink that much. Did you tip every drink?

Lunch at O'Sheehans was agreed upon by all because we like being served and had a great time there the night before. The hostess and waitress were warming up to us, making today's experience here a wonderful one.

I had fish and chips:

20151102_124559_zpsbb7pcxf6.jpg

Hubby had the chef salad:

20151102_122054_zpsci7nb2jj.jpg

Our son had the chicken strips again, and their one and only (delicious) soup:

20151102_122032_zpsfuzvu1qx.jpg

For dessert, the boys split the strawberry pound cake:

20151102_125914_zpsao0xzxjg.jpg

At 2:15 we headed to the latitudes party in the spinnaker lounge. Chardonnay, merlot and rum punch were complimentary however they honored our request for a virgin rum punch and a diet Pepsi. As with our last Ncl cruise, we were impressed with this party particularly because we're low level, silver, and many other lines have discontinued or downgraded their onboard loyalty events.

After the captain and head staff was introduced, the future cruise staff led the event, plucking newly married and longest married couples from the crowd for a twist contest. Our invitation to the event doubled as a prize drawing ballot, and prizes included wine, free bingo, autographed ship posters, etc.

The event wrapped up around 3pm, and we headed to La Cucina for family pizza making where the kids program staff let kids assemble pizzas with traditional toppings. Our son doesn’t really want to spend time in the kids center, but he likes these types of activities where he can get a taste of the fun, with Mom and dad in tow.

Once baked, staff calls the child's name and pizzas are fetched. They are small and a perfect afternoon snack to hold our little guy over until dinner. We are so glad we enjoyed this free activity and hope to hit cupcake making later in the week.

They offered the kids (and adults, come one come all!) traditional toppings like pineapple, peppers, chicken, onion, etc.

20151102_152021_zpstb7ot7az.jpg

Next up, Cagneys! Stick around for some mouth watering filet mignon and a birthday cake fit for 6!

Sea Day #1 continued, Dinner @ Cagney’s

We roamed the ship and chilled to music in our cabin until it was time for our 5:30 Cagney's (steakhouse) reservation. While there was little mention of an optional formal night in the dailies, we dressed up this evening, hubby and son in ties, me in my red dress. We’re used to two formal nights on a 7 night cruise, but knew that was optional with NCL, so we packed a little less dressy overall.

Cagney's was a treat and the service by Putu and his team was kind and attentive. The “speakeasy martini” w/ a cinnamon sugar crusted rim is to die for. Don't miss it. It made an appearance again later in the cruise at martini tasting, and was TOO strong that time. The entrees were terrific, with filet mignon’s had by all and some great starters. Here’s a peek at some of the things we ate, but we’ll do a super thorough food video later as well:

The menu of course (see the signature cocktail atop the menu- strong, but rockin’):

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-75_zpsks4ld6mi.jpg

Jack Daniels shrimp cocktail:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-80_zps8ufyxxlx.jpg

Iceberg wedge, hold the tomato:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-84_zpsitovlxpt.jpg

Lump crab appetizer:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-81_zps0xwco1jj.jpg

Filet mignon (we asked for béarnaise, not pictured);

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-89_zpsiwkfcysl.jpg

Truffle fries- so good:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-90_zpsftjfhqtz.jpg

Desserts are coming next...don't go anywhere.

So the filet mignons had been polished in culinary silence and it was time for dessert…When I was in the restroom, my little son ordered me a birthday cake and staff sang. I was so surprised I choked up a little. To my delight, the bday cake was kind of tasty, even next to the decadent desserts.

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-105_zpsvkaw2jtj.jpg

Here is the dessert menu:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-94_zpsvzvc0ubx.jpg

The oreo cheesecake:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-112_zpsg8auwonr.jpg

The crème brulee:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-114_zpsmo6vsj1i.jpg

The ice cream sandwich:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-111_zpsgy7mhwpl.jpg

We retired early from a very active day. My Garmin watch said I'd walked 7.5 miles and my dogs were barking from fancy shoes on dressy night! To sleep we go, with dreams of Cabo!

MexicoCruise2015_S5-189_zpsvdypsq8m.jpg

You have me so excited, thank you for all the work to post the photos and reviews. I will be on the ship in 10 days, with a stop in San Diego starting on Thanksgiving.

How wondeful! San Diego is my hometown - such a beautiful city. Have a fabulous holiday cruise. I'm jealous!

Sunny, bright and quintessentially Cabo...aaah, I love the desert meets sea vibe in Cabo. Jewel glided in to port nearly an hour early to the towering lands-end formations and turquoise water..the area was more green than usual from recent rain. Carnival Miracle and HAL Veendam were already anchored in the bay, so we big crowds were possible.

Here’s the Veendam anchored alongside us:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-190_zpsxynjvhok.jpg

We slept in (finally unwinding from work and home mode) and tossed around our plans for the day which usually involve a water taxi to Medano beach where we swim, sun and drink coronas with our feet in the sand. Bound to film some hard to get areas of the ship while everyone was ashore, we lingered onboard until 1:30, having brunch at O'Sheehans and walking the upper deck.

Brunch (breakfast really) was tasty:

Country breakfast:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-194_zpsg28pbx2y.jpg

French Toast:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-193_zpshr1vq0va.jpg

Scrambled egg breakfast:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-117_zpseiv9lwrx.jpg

We lingered onboard, not wanting to battle the tender lines...we've been to Cabo enough to know that it's best to chill onboard until the tender rush is OVER. My son squeezed in some waterslide time while hubby raced around to film, and the staff had a beautiful poolside bbq going. We never tried the poolside bbq’s, but they looked wonderful on every sea day:

Some kind of meat:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-206_zpsz7lxqkcz.jpg

Grilled veggies:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-205_zps1rb8u2mf.jpg

And pasta!

MexicoCruise2015_S5-202_zpsfmtqnhyf.jpg

Finally we sunscreened up and grabbed a tender, then a water taxi to oober crowded Medano Beach (that’s what happens when there are three ships in town) to Billygans, our favorite spot. Tendering was smooth and quick, which isn’t always the case in Cabo:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-218_zpsifnzbzqc.jpg

No beach chairs were available so we took a nice table and were immediately offered drinks. For 170 pesos, $12, I got a bucket of 5 Coronas which I knew I couldn't drink but the deal was too good to pass up.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-226_zpsyeisjgv4.jpg

My son begged for his goggles and rushed to the sea with daddy where he spotted little fish and enjoyed the warm water we so envy. Our hometown beaches don't get warmer than 68 to 72 degrees so Mexico is always a treat. I met some lovely people from another ship who took 2 beers off my hands (yay!) While we waited for our guacamole and Mexican platter (so good!) To arrive.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-225_zpshrdnpamp.jpg

I finally hit the water with my son who experienced his first wave tumble (feet in the air, as if he was in a washing machine) and ultimately had to pry him out of the waves to eat. At my husband’s wise suggestion, I bought some cute sheer cover ups to mask my icky bruise beast and had fun haggling with the beach vendors. My quest to find swim shorts wasn't sounding fun, and this turned out to be a much more fashionable choice.

After we grew weary of swimming, it was lunch time, which started with worlds best guacamole and pico de gallo.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-228_zpsjflwvaxv.jpg

Time flies too fast in Cabo with only a half day in port. It was time to head back to the ship. Our water taxi (shared with a personal trainer and show dancer from the ship) plucked us from the beach at 4pm and we were pleased there were no tender lines, yah!

MexicoCruise2015_S5-213_zpsgy1tfxfl.jpg

Back on board we showered for dinner at Moderno and again enjoyed some music on our balcony. Next up...dinner at Moderno....want a sneak peak of the menu?

Is my dinner ready yet?

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-120_zpsn40kkwnk.jpg

Moderno Exceeded expectations in every way. The meal starts with a soup and salad bar (more like a salad bar, antipasto bar, and more!), which could be an incredible meal alone.

Hubby’s salad creation:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-123_zpsdeksxq3i.jpg

Salad bar close ups:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-260_zpsnkndhq2j.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-259_zpsmryhqugb.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-258_zpsg8tjewtq.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-256_zpstlvcucgb.jpg

There is SO much more to show of the salad bar, like the greens, cheeses, and pasta salad and ceviche...just try it, it's fab.

The seafood chowder and salad bar hit the spot after a long day of fun in the sun and the staff were so doting and lovely.

Once the meat starts coming, after you’re already full from the salad bar, the sides are placed family style in little dishes at the table:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-244_zpsjfopkvfl.jpg

Next up. Meat, meat, and oh my lord...more MEAT.

Sheebah,

I'm loving your posts, keep 'em coming! What camera (or phone) are you using? The quality is amazing.

Thank you :-)

We're using a combo of my Samsung galaxy s5, and my husbands iPhone 6s. The iPhone takes superior photos. I prefer our real camera, a nikon d90, but we were lazy this trip.

The meat was delicious, my favorites being the bacon wrapped chicken breast, and pork ribs. The filet mignon was almost too tough to cut but we didn't care because there was SO much food. We didn’t take still photos of the meat, just video, so we’ll put that in our food video later.

The sides and salad bar would have been enough to fill us up, as mentioned. My son scarfed the meat and grilled pineapple crusted with cinnamon brown sugar (and requested the pineapple again later in the cruise!). We tried all three desserts and they were all exotic and tasty.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-247_zpsywohwxf3.jpg

Here are the desserts in the order they are listed on the menu:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-131_zpsifo330qs.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-249_zps2dh3kcqg.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-250_zpsgxnjrtzm.jpg

After dinner, we walked the ship for a few hours, and stopped to look at our photos in the gallery. We settled in to our cabin early to rest for Mazatlan and enjoyed the warm sea air as we crossed over to mainland Mexico

Day 4- Mazatlan

After a smooth night at sea we pulled into port early. I woke to the smell of what I thought was smoke but must have exhaust flooding our cabin. We'd experienced this once before on embarkation on carnival miracle with an aft cabin. It seems to happen when the ship docks sometimes.

The exhaust cleared after about 2 hours, thankfully, and I headed to the great outdoors for an omelet served by a singing, cheerful chef. I love that the staff sing to the piped in music- they seem so happy and comfortable.

After the boys woke, we got off the ship and grabbed a pulmonia (open air taxi), headed for El Cid hotel to swim, slide, jump and of course eat and drink. It’s a $15, 30 minute ride to the hotel, where they allow you to just walk in and enjoy their facilities for the day, if you eat and drink of course. I hear that many of the Golden Zone hotels allow this, but El cid is the only one we’ve tried.

They have an amazing rock pool with a waterslide, flat area you can jump from and an underwater grotto that you can’t see in the pics:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-275_zpshjxkrwnb.jpg

I snapped this photo while walking to the pool:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-272_zpsqqd43loq.jpg

Worlds BEST coco loco:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-290_zpshmm0lpui.jpg

Guac and fajitas:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-295_zpslkpjcbbh.jpg

Marina view from atop the cliff jumping area of the pool:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-315_zpswzniqxuq.jpg

Eerie abandoned hotel properties on the other side of the resort…only in Mexico!

MexicoCruise2015_S5-307_zpsqfbtetip.jpg

More of this resort day in the next post....

More about the taxi, aka pulmonia…which I didn’t get a DECENT photo of, sorry! The open air ride cost $15 each way and was a fun change from the usual air conditioned cab experience. On the way over, our driver had an amazing stereo system and rocked some fun tunes, like Neil Diamond at high volumes. We loved it!

This shot sort of shows what it looks like from inside the pulmonia:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-404_zpsynvxwtol.jpg

At the resort, margaritas and Pina coladas were tasty, and the pool was refreshingly chilly.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-279_zpsmc7lflou.jpg

Hubby jumping w/GoPro

MexicoCruise2015_S5-348_zpsycvc9cct.jpg

We enjoyed the resort so much and unlike our visit in August, iguanas were EVERYWHERE. We fed iguanas lettuce provided by the servers.

MexicoCruise2015_S5-309_zpshgcdbpoi.jpg

MexicoCruise2015_S5-328_zpsifakbmka.jpg

Like I said…there were tons of them:

MexicoCruise2015_S5-330_zps3rjwtkbp.jpg

Sheebah, I'm loving your review and photos. DH and I took only our Samsung Galaxy S6 phones on our recent cruise, and we were thrilled with the results.

We've been cruising with HAL lately, but we just booked the Jewel for a return to Mexico in 2017. We've been on the Jewel three times and are excited to get back onboard. Your great review has confirmed our decision.