Jewel to Mexico: Review, Photos, and Video tour of ship

Sheebah

Fantastic Video!

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Great job setting up all the camera shots and thanks for spending the extra time in your trip to get up early to get them! Nice to see the ship with no one around. Definitely one of the best cruise ship review videos I have seen.

-Sean

Sean,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write this! Have a great holiday

Sheri

Thank you for your wonderful video tour, and all the tips!

Any suggestions for tours, my "boys" are 25 and 20. We only have Puerto Vallarta booked so far, hubby and I are going to Los Calitis, and boys are going on the zipline repel adventure. Stone Island? El Arco?

Question about disembarking. Our flight out of LAX is at 11:30 Sunday morning. I was thinking we should self disembark until I read someone else's suggestion not to. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for your wonderful video tour, and all the tips!

Any suggestions for tours, my "boys" are 25 and 20. We only have Puerto Vallarta booked so far, hubby and I are going to Los Calitis, and boys are going on the zipline repel adventure. Stone Island? El Arco?

Question about disembarking. Our flight out of LAX is at 11:30 Sunday morning. I was thinking we should self disembark until I read someone else's suggestion not to. What are your thoughts?

Hello!

Great choice with Las Caletas in PV. That is a wonderful tour, and we'd do it again in a heartbeat. My mother and I had massages there, and they were wonderful- they'll tell you about it on the ride over. We also used the stand up paddleboards and that was fun. You can also do NOTHING at Las Caletas and just relax on a beach chair. Since Las Caletas is an all day tour, you won't have time for much more while in PV, and that's okay.

In Cabo, there is SO much to do, but you're limited on time, so plan ahead. You could easily grab your own water taxi (not sponsored by the ships excursion desk) and see both Lands End, Lovers Beach, Pelican beach on your own. Then, you could ask to to be taken to Medano beach (also shown earlier in my thread) and be left there for a few hours to lounge at a restaurant/bar and swim in the calm waters of Medano beach. Sometimes, lovers beach, at Lands end, is too rough to swim.

In Cabo, snorkeling tours are also fun. We went on a Zodiac snorkeling tour, and have also done Catamaran tours (with and without snorkeling) and they are all GREAT.

In Cabo, I do NOT recommend just getting off the boat and walking around. It's hot and you will be hounded all day by tour operators and timeshare hawkers.

My next activity dream in Cabo is to take a Jeep tour. I have heard great things and it would allow you to see the area, visit hidden beaches AND snorkel. Be SURE to get some chips and Guacamole somewhere in Cabo (anywhere in the ports really, it's all amazing).

You will need tender tickets in Cabo, so have someone listen for the announcement and head to the pool deck (or wherever they are handing them out) before the ship pulls into Cabo. For us, that was around 9 or 10 am on a noon to 7 port day in Cabo. That will save you waiting time.

Mazatlan is tough, because it's not my favorite City. When we're there, we take a cab or pulmonia (open air cab) to El Cid Marina Beach and spend the day at a hotel. You can see some photos of that resort earlier in this thread. Many hotels in the Golden Zone allow this, and since the beaches are just "meh" in Mazatlan, we prefer pool days. Many times, we've stayed on the ship in Mazatlan, but now that we've fallen in love with Marina El Cid we likely won't do that. We've also taken a van/taxi tour for the day to familiarize with the city, see the cliff divers, etc. That was nice, but only once. I've been to Deer and Stone island and while they are "okay", they aren't spectacular. I have heard that the Salsa and Salsa tour in Mazatlan is fun, and takes you to a good hotel, probably one of the El Cids. You get to make salsa and salsa dance...sounds fun!

Did this help you?

You could easily grab your own water taxi (not sponsored by the ships excursion desk) and see both Lands End, Lovers Beach, Pelican beach on your own. Then, you could ask to to be taken to Medano beach (also shown earlier in my thread) and be left there for a few hours to lounge at a restaurant/bar and swim in the calm waters of Medano beach. Sometimes, lovers beach, at Lands end, is too rough to swim.

If we opted to do this ourselves, how would we ensure we get back? Tell the water taxi person and ask them if they wouldn't mind picking us back up in 2 hours (and hoping they don't forget)? Or, are there enough water taxis going between all these places that it'd be easy enough to just pick up another heading out? I understand this might work on busy places like lover's beach, but we were hoping to both hit Lands End/lover's beach and a place better for snorkeling like Chileno Bay without signing up for one of the "tours".

If we opted to do this ourselves, how would we ensure we get back? Tell the water taxi person and ask them if they wouldn't mind picking us back up in 2 hours (and hoping they don't forget)? Or, are there enough water taxis going between all these places that it'd be easy enough to just pick up another heading out? I understand this might work on busy places like lover's beach, but we were hoping to both hit Lands End/lover's beach and a place better for snorkeling like Chileno Bay without signing up for one of the "tours".

Water taxis are mostly round trip...you pay the round trip price up front and set a pickup time with the boat driver and they fetch you. Just be sure to take a wrist watch due to time differences- dont count on your mobile phone. I've never taken a water taxi to snorkel at Chileno or santa maria but you likely could. Once we hired a water taxi to go whale watching, which was amazing. Ask about chileno just off the tender when you arrive or better yet, ask in the ports boards here on cc or on trip advisor just to be sure.

Great Review. We will be going on the same cruise in a few weeks.

Question: Did you try the Spa Services? If so, how were they?

Also, we like to do the "Spa Pass" on other lines, but @ $149 per person per week, it sounds a bit pricey. Do they offer a daily spa pass option, like on Port days? Or any other discounts?

Thanks in Advance - Curtis.

Our family is going to be doing the water taxi out to Lover's beach for a photo shoot and just to enjoy the Arches. We are on the same sailing with you -- and Curtdesilets as well.

Great Review. We will be going on the same cruise in a few weeks.

Question: Did you try the Spa Services? If so, how were they?

Also, we like to do the "Spa Pass" on other lines, but @ $149 per person per week, it sounds a bit pricey. Do they offer a daily spa pass option, like on Port days? Or any other discounts?

Thanks in Advance - Curtis.

We didn't spend any time in the spa this time- though I considered the thermal suite pass that you refer to prior to cruising. The ONLY reason I opted out was a lack of time to spend there. I highly recommend that on embarkation day you visit the spa and ask for a tour of the thermal suite. I am not sure if a daily or prorated option is available. It's a gorgeous area with killer views.

The spa was too pricey for me on this cruise, however there are GREAT PORT day specials and specials on the last two sea days where for $119 to $145 we saw 75 minute combo treatments, way less pricey than normal treatments, believe it or not!

The spa special special sheets may be delivered to your room the night b4 they are offered but your best bet is to visit the spa the morning you wish to have a treatment to inquire. The staff won't likely give you advanced notice of the specials.

Our family is going to be doing the water taxi out to Lover's beach for a photo shoot and just to enjoy the Arches. We are on the same sailing with you -- and Curtdesilets as well.

You can't go wrong with a trip to the arches - it's a must do for your first visit! Good choice.

We didn't spend any time in the spa this time- though I considered the thermal suite pass that you refer to prior to cruising. The ONLY reason I opted out was a lack of time to spend there. I highly recommend that on embarkation day you visit the spa and ask for a tour of the thermal suite. I am not sure if a daily or prorated option is available. It's a gorgeous area with killer views.

The spa was too pricey for me on this cruise, however there are GREAT PORT day specials and specials on the last two sea days where for $119 to $145 we saw 75 minute combo treatments, way less pricey than normal treatments, believe it or not!

The spa special special sheets may be delivered to your room the night b4 they are offered but your best bet is to visit the spa the morning you wish to have a treatment to inquire. The staff won't likely give you advanced notice of the specials.

Yes, on almost all cruises we have been on, the spa prices are outrageous. That's why you need to search out daily specials. Typically, most thermal suite packages run about $100 per week, but $150 for two is usually offered on the first day. That's why I was thinking $149 each, or $119 each if pre-booked is still a bit much. They also tag on a $18% gratuity as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Yes, on almost all cruises we have been on, the spa prices are outrageous. That's why you need to search out daily specials. Typically, most thermal suite packages run about $100 per week, but $150 for two is usually offered on the first day. That's why I was thinking $149 each, or $119 each if pre-booked is still a bit much. They also tag on a $18% gratuity as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

I agree. I didn't see a 2 for 1 for the thermal suite offered and I did hear people saying they wouldn't book because the same thing on celebrity is free. It did look relaxing and beautiful though and given more time, or a 10 night itinerary I'd have jumped on it :-)

....Dinner at La Cucina:

Now we were in a rush to dress for dinner. It was white hot night so we put on our best shot at white clothing and rushed to La Cucina for a cozy dinner (Bad idea in restrospect...italian food and WHITE don't go together!). The sunset when we arrived at La Cucina was so beautiful it looked fake. The restuarant sits high on the Lido deck and the views are lovely.

The menu:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-211_zpsbugwx3uc.jpg

We started with Calamari, bruschetta, ensalata fresca, and a caprese salad. All tasty and brought to the table promptly. We chose rigatoni with meatballs, lasagna, and chicken parmesan for our entrées. To full for dessert we ordered it anyway- lemon cheesecake and tiramisu were just okay and didn't get fully gobbled sadly.

Starters

Ensalata fresca:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-218_zpsixojcjzq.jpg

Calamari;

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-217_zpswcrqe7ca.jpg

Bruschetta

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-216_zpsh0tjaqic.jpg

Caprese salad

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-215_zps7s55ezgq.jpg

Bread for the table

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-213_zpspmwf3mk0.jpg

Here are some shots of our Entrees. The chicken Parmesan was SO delicious. I was sad when I had to call it quits- why does italian food sneak up you?

Rigatoni meatballs

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-222_zps1bsbd4rr.jpg

Lasagna:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-221_zpsm1pd8m8m.jpg

Chicken Parm:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-219_zps2ihgnzec.jpg

Desserts:

Tiramisu

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-225_zpsozqm2myk.jpg

Chocolate ice cream;

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-224_zpsl6mlfybe.jpg

Lemon cheesecake:

MexicoCruise2015_iPhone-223_zpsyndujji2.jpg

Thank you so much for your review! We will be taking the same cruise in April and you've given me some great ideas for me and my sister to check out.

I'm so glad! Have a wonderful trip! I've never been to Mexico in April but I hear the weather is great.

Enjoyed reading your review and your video was wonderful. I will be back on the Jewel in 16 days.:)

Have a great time! I'm glad you enjoyed the video and review. We went on the Star last December and it was the best...right before the holiday crowds set in.

Thank You for a great review and photos. It helps planning our cruise so much. My family will be on the Jewel next month. We are so looking forward to it.

My pleasure! Have a great family trip and let me know if you have any questions :-)

Your video was wonderful! It's really getting me excited for our cruise in March. I noticed some changes to the Jewel since we were last on her 5 or 6 years ago. I can't wait! Thanks for taking the time to do such a great job with the pictures and video!

~Joanne

Have fun and go whale watching for me! We always seem to miss whale season :-(

Yes, the renovations are so nicely done. This was our first time on the ship but from what I can see, it's a big improvement.

Sheebah,

Thank you so much for the review, and I was waiting with bated breath for the video. I have my sister and her partner in crime-oops, best friend, booked on the 12/13/2015 sailing of the same ship. It's her first cruise and your video is the first time she got it and got excited...and now has to go shopping for clothes...LOL

Sheebah,

Thank you so much for the review, and I was waiting with bated breath for the video. I have my sister and her partner in crime-oops, best friend, booked on the 12/13/2015 sailing of the same ship. It's her first cruise and your video is the first time she got it and got excited...and now has to go shopping for clothes...LOL

You've made my day!!

I bet the ship will be decked out for Christmas. Take some photos for me :-)

In my opinion, nothing beats cruise clothes shopping- it gets me even more excited to travel. Sadly, fall is a tricky time for that because all the swimsuits and shorts and dresses are out of season. Wishing you a fantastic trip - you're only two weeks away!