Galveston Staggered Embarkation ---- Any feedback?

Maggiepie

There was no check-in whatsoever in the Captain's lounge. If there was a Captain's Lounge at all, we missed it! We went to the far left end of the same counter that everyone else went to. From there, to the ship after being 'plucked' from the same line as non-priority folks.

I was so ready to feel 'special' (lol) as a Platinum guest, but that was not the case today.

Wow. That is crazy checking in at the same counter as everyone else. Normally you check in at the Captain's Lounge and you wait there until boarding begins. Carnival did not think this through well.

We went through the staggered embarkation process today, and I'm currently onboard (I know, I know...why in the heck am I online instead of playing. Well, that will happen shortly, trust me!). I set us up for a time of 1100-1130. We got there and noticed many people 'hanging' outside the terminal. As Platinum members who were taking our bags onboard ourselves, we were promptly ushered into the terminal by Carnival personnel outside. Once inside, we were surprised at how many folks were not only in the priority line, but how crowded and disorganized the whole terminal experience seemed to go. If this new process was meant to provide order, then it is a failure thus far. There was a definite lack of signage telling us where to go, and after check-in the rep stamped something on our paperwork and told us to just go to the front of another big crowd of folks waiting to board. People were looking at us walk past them as if to say "where in the hell are THEY going?!?". Luckily, a Carnival rep came towards us, asked were we platinum, and ushered us on through towards the Welcome Aboard picture taking ritual. It was only at this point did it hit me that there was not going to be a Platinum lounge experience. Wow, I know they're cutting back, but I didn't think that we were eating THAT many cookies in the lounge! LOL

This was easily the worst boarding experience we've had as platinum members. Hell, for that matter, as ANY member! This is our third time boarding in Galveston...hopefully #4 will be much better than today.

But it sounds like you got onboard pretty quickly. Just no lounge experience. Reading your post, it doesn't sound like a long delay.

Also seems like Carnival needs to get with better signage. This is what pilots are for. I am glad to hear they are being sticklers about the new process. No point in the change if they are going to just let people keep doing what they want. Thanks for the feedback. Enjoy your cruise!!

So' date=' if you arrive by car before your assigned time, are you allowed to park your car and check your luggage, before being sent to a standing/waiting area outside the doors to the terminal?[/quote']

We were allowed to. Others we spoke to who had later times than us were allowed to as well. Nobody looked at our passes until we walked towards the check-in sign.

Edited by redstapler7
typo

We were allowed to. Others we spoke to who had later times than us were allowed to as well. Nobody looked at our passes until we walked towards the check-in sign.

Thanks.

What was the weather like? I imagine this time of year, in TX, it was ok to wait outside. I wonder if they'll do things differently in the summer. Not hard to imagine someone having problems if they wait outside too long in the heat.

For those who were waiting, was there any possibility of them using a restroom somewhere? Any water available, either free or to buy?

Thanks.

What was the weather like? I imagine this time of year' date=' in TX, it was ok to wait outside. I wonder if they'll do things differently in the summer. Not hard to imagine someone having problems if they wait outside too long in the heat.

For those who were waiting, was there any possibility of them using a restroom somewhere? Any water available, either free or to buy?[/quote']

The weather was mild, not too hot, not too cool. I would agree. It's 34 right now, way too cold for me to be standing outside!

Unsure about restrooms.

Thanks.

What was the weather like? I imagine this time of year' date=' in TX, it was ok to wait outside. I wonder if they'll do things differently in the summer. Not hard to imagine someone having problems if they wait outside too long in the heat.

For those who were waiting, was there any possibility of them using a restroom somewhere? Any water available, either free or to buy?[/quote']

Good questions. Hope we hear from more folks. Most arrived back this past weekend and with this week being Thanksgiving, hearing from them may take a bit. However, I think we've had some constructive feedback already.

Some of my questions have been answered so far:

1) the process actually took place

2) it was enforced

3) need for signage to cut down on the confusion

4) everyone checks in at the same place/counter

5) for plat/diamond, lounge is occupied after check in

6) you can check luggage, but must wait until selected check in time

7) priority/FTTF, suites, etc. were allowed into terminal upon arrival

My remaining questions:

1) clerify; waiting areas were outside the terminal pre-check in, not inside?

2) what did people do that arrived significantly early to pass the time?

3) overall wait time once inside the terminal (any check in window) 10-10:30a busy, 2-2:30p no wait, etc.?

4) were those that boarded with a later check in able to get a bite to eat?

I think that's it for me. Again, thank you to those who have responded and kept this thread informational and constructive. Safe Travels this holiday week!!

Edited by clhayes

Any 11/14 or 11/15 Galveston cruisers currently online? The trial testing of assigned/staggered boarding happened this past weekend. Was wondering how good (or bad) it was. Word was that you wouldn't even be allowed into the terminal until your assigned time. We leave this coming Saturday on the Freedom...just curious.

I'll be cruising out of Galveston this coming weekend. After reading some of the experiences people have had with the assigned check-in times, I'm dreading having to go into that chaotic mess. If it's as bad as everyone is saying, I will never cruise out of Galveston again.

Good questions. Hope we hear from more folks. Most arrived back this past weekend and with this week being Thanksgiving, hearing from them may take a bit. However, I think we've had some constructive feedback already.

Some of my questions have been answered so far:

1) the process actually took place

2) it was enforced

3) need for signage to cut down on the confusion

4) everyone checks in at the same place/counter

5) for plat/diamond, lounge is occupied after check in

6) you can check luggage, but must wait until selected check in time

7) priority/FTTF, suites, etc. were allowed into terminal upon arrival

My remaining questions:

3) overall wait time once inside the terminal (any check in window) 10-10:30a busy, 2-2:30p no wait, etc.?

I think that's it for me. Again, thank you to those who have responded and kept this thread informational and constructive. Safe Travels this holiday week!!

As for your questions that have been answered so far, I would say that you're on point with all of them except for #5. I never saw a lounge, nor was I directed to one, so I hardly consider that to be 'occupied'.

As for your remaining questions:

1) Waiting areas appeared to be outside. I say that because there were alot of people outside. It is possible, however, that some of the people I was seeing were disembarking being that I heard that the ship was not able to start the process until 0900 due to adverse weather conditions.

2) Based on what I could see, they were checking bags in, then standing in place.

3) We started the process at about 1130, and were on board by 1200. That is on par with the length of time that it has always taken as a Platinum member, but never did it seem so confusing. It certainly 'felt' longer than it ultimately was. I'll admit, I'm used to being spoiled a bit during the priority embarkation process. Not so much yesterday.

4) Dining areas were kept open all they way until the drill. I'm sure all guests were onboard in time enough to eat.

There was no check-in whatsoever in the Captain's lounge. If there was a Captain's Lounge at all, we missed it! We went to the far left end of the same counter that everyone else went to. From there, to the ship after being 'plucked' from the same line as non-priority folks.

I was so ready to feel 'special' (lol) as a Platinum guest, but that was not the case today.

We cruised last Monday, 11/16, and we did go to the Captain's Lounge after check-in @ 10:30 and there were refreshments. In the past, families of Platinum members were allowed in the lounge and boarded with the Platinum/Diamond member even if they weren't in the same cabin. Which wasn't the case this time.

When they came to get us, there were a few that had "joined" the line as we were walking toward the ship and they were not allowed to go on through as before either. They were asked to step out of the line and wait until their section # was called.

I am always amazed that passengers think that the Galveston pier is chaotic. The only thing that is a bit hectic is the drop off/pick up area where everyone seems to congregate both for disembarking and embarking to drop off their luggage or to look for their ride home.

The pier building itself is pretty straightforward. The first check-in point is to the far left (looking from the street) where there is an early seating area. Prior to this check-in point is a long covered walkway that does have access to restrooms.

If you are priority boarding you bypass the outside line and are directed to the correct line to proceed to security. Otherwise you just wait your turn. Once through security, baggage x-ray, and confiscation of prohibited items you proceed upstairs to the service desks. There are counters for priority, handicap, groups, and normal folks. Once you have checked in you are given a boarding assignment and proceed to another large area with chairs.

Once your boarding number is called you go past the photo station (and you don't need to stop) and then up the gangway and onto the ship.

Why this process is confusing is beyond me. Now the initial "check-point" won't let you in unless your arrival time is at hand or passed or you are a priority passenger. Then you stand outside, under cover, and wait your turn, or head to the Starbucks across the street. You can give your luggage to the porters as soon as you are dropped off....you don't need to struggle with it while waiting.

I'll be cruising out of Galveston this coming weekend. After reading some of the experiences people have had with the assigned check-in times, I'm dreading having to go into that chaotic mess. If it's as bad as everyone is saying, I will never cruise out of Galveston again.

I wouldn't say to fear the new process as a priority guest. It's not so bad if you lower your expectations a bit. It may turn out to be a complete success if the intent is to lessen the confusion once inside the terminal for non-priority guests. My suggestion to them will be to show up at your assigned time and all should be fine.

On the other hand, however, if the intent was to keep the priority guests as status quo...EPIC FAIL! My suggestion to you as a Platinum member will be expect less exclusivity and pampering than you've probably been accustomed to during embarkation. It's not so bad, however, that it should make you not want to cruise out of Galveston again. The customer service was still top notch all the way to the ship, and once you get that first drink and/or WCMC in your system, all will be forgotten! lol

I wouldn't say to fear the new process as a priority guest. It's not so bad if you lower your expectations a bit. It may turn out to be a complete success if the intent is to lessen the confusion once inside the terminal for non-priority guests. My suggestion to them will be to show up at your assigned time and all should be fine.

On the other hand, however, if the intent was to keep the priority guests as status quo...EPIC FAIL! My suggestion to you as a Platinum member will be expect less exclusivity and pampering than you've probably been accustomed to during embarkation. It's not so bad, however, that it should make you not want to cruise out of Galveston again. The customer service was still top notch all the way to the ship, and once you get that first drink and/or WCMC in your system, all will be forgotten! lol

Yes. People should show up at their assigned time! I agree. Not early. Late is ok. But how about just show up at the assigned time unless you are priority. I think that is what Carnival is asking.

I am curious as to what exactly you didn't like about the process. You said you were onboard within 30 minutes. So what does Carnival need to do better with this besides have better signage? You Said Customer Service was top notch.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

My remaining questions:

1) In Galveston there is a covered "waiting" area - however, it's not enclosed. There are very few benches placed along the wall so only a few places to sit.

2) Some of our group decided to walk the Strand and sight see a bit if they checked their luggage and didn't have carry-on's

3) From what I could tell - and from the people I talked to in our group - once their check in time was called they got through security and had their S&S cards fairly quickly. They still had to wait until their section # was called to board - but even still, I don't think anyone said they waited more than an hour.

4) The food areas on Lido stayed open up until muster drill - which was around 3:45.

Although I haven't experienced it yet, I can see the assigned boarding time adding to the frustration of getting to the terminal on time. Just another deadline you have to be aware of. One of the things that distinguishes a cruise from a flight is the relaxed nature of the cruise. Setting deadlines and schedules for non-optional activities takes away from that.

This is just a trial for right now... I personally have a feeling it will be at all Ports once it has been tested and works...

We cruised last Monday, 11/16, and we did go to the Captain's Lounge after check-in @ 10:30 and there were refreshments. In the past, families of Platinum members were allowed in the lounge and boarded with the Platinum/Diamond member even if they weren't in the same cabin. Which wasn't the case this time.

When they came to get us, there were a few that had "joined" the line as we were walking toward the ship and they were not allowed to go on through as before either. They were asked to step out of the line and wait until their section # was called.

I. for one, am glad they didn't allow anyone but Diamond/Platinum in the lounge and made them wait to board at their designated boarding time... It should be like this all the time in every Port... I'm also glad to see that they asked those that didn't belong on the line to wait...

Personally I think this is going to be across the board and done in every Port... In addition, once passengers are aware of the change, and understand what to do, and show up when they are suppose to, I believe this will work and the long ridiculous lines that I have seen will stop and make for an easier and faster boarding for all ...

If you are priority boarding you bypass the outside line and are directed to the correct line to proceed to security. Otherwise you just wait your turn. Once through security, baggage x-ray, and confiscation of prohibited items you proceed upstairs to the service desks. There are counters for priority, handicap, groups, and normal folks. Once you have checked in you are given a boarding assignment and proceed to another large area with chairs.

There is no posted information for priority boarding and very few staff to answer questions. And most of those were as frustrated as the new passengers and not exactly friendly. There were also no separate counters for "priority, handicap, groups, and normal folks". Everyone waited in the same line for the next available clerk.

I'm not saying this system won't work out for the better ... eventually. But, last Monday, it was a hot mess. More information should be provided on the email or posted signage.

I will say that the staff inside were more polite and gave more information. We were told "Miami is here ... so everyone has to check in at the same counter". So, I don't know if that means at some point priority will be resume checking in at the Captain's Lounge or not.

I. for one, am glad they didn't allow anyone but Diamond/Platinum in the lounge and made them wait to board at their designated boarding time... It should be like this all the time in every Port... I'm also glad to see that they asked those that didn't belong on the line to wait....

I absolutely agree!

As for your questions that have been answered so far, I would say that you're on point with all of them except for #5. I never saw a lounge, nor was I directed to one, so I hardly consider that to be 'occupied'.

Sorry, you're correct. I was referring to a previous post re: #5. Thank you for your sharing, it helped answer my remaining questions.

I am always amazed that passengers think that the Galveston pier is chaotic. The only thing that is a bit hectic is the drop off/pick up area where everyone seems to congregate both for disembarking and embarking to drop off their luggage or to look for their ride home.

Hi. I understand what you're saying and I have cruised out of Galveston several times. I think currently though, people are referring to their recent experience with the new process at Galveston. Sounds like there's some opportunities to enhance; lack of signage, benches, etc.

There is no posted information for priority boarding and very few staff to answer questions. And most of those were as frustrated as the new passengers and not exactly friendly. There were also no separate counters for "priority, handicap, groups, and normal folks". Everyone waited in the same line for the next available clerk.

I'm not saying this system won't work out for the better ... eventually. But, last Monday, it was a hot mess. More information should be provided on the email or posted signage.

I will say that the staff inside were more polite and gave more information. We were told "Miami is here ... so everyone has to check in at the same counter". So, I don't know if that means at some point priority will be resume checking in at the Captain's Lounge or not.

That isn't a good excuse for everyone checking in at the same counter. The new process sounds good except for the signage issue and Platinum/Diamond checking in with everyone else. Checking in Diamond/Platinum at the Captain's Lounge will cut down on lines at the main counter.

I don't need any pampering, my main goal is to get on the ship. I feel pampered enough just getting on quickly and having my luggage arrive sooner. But even before I was Platinum I never had issues in Galveston getting on and getting luggage quickly, getting off is the part that is always screwed up.