Galveston Staggered Embarkation ---- Any feedback?

Maggiepie

There is not a designated area for FTTF in Galveston, at least there wasn't on December the 6th. We were in with the general cruisers. There weren't enough chairs, yet every port employee who walked by told us to get off the "walkway" and sit down. Um yea about that ... It was HUGELY frustrating. Even if you were off to the side, leaving the huge wide walkway area clear they would tell you to move. One thing about our sailing is that there seemed to be a lot of weddings, but when the weddings boarded, it didn't free up a lot of seats. It was strange. We have done FTTF in PC and in San Juan, but for Galveston - we wouldn't buy FTTF again unless we really need early cabin or priority tender.

Interesting. It's been a while since we cruised out of Galveston with FTTF (my last Triumph cruise), but back then they did have a FTTF waiting area. It was a block of seats in a roped off area just to the left of the door you go through when they call you to board the ship. I wonder if they've done away with it or just didn't use it that particular weekend. I guess I'll find out in April since I have FTTF for that cruise as well.

Dumb question...do you still get a zone to board the ship after you check in with the staggered times?

Not a dumb questions at all...I was wondering the same thing?

The staggered time for check-in, cuts back on the HOARD at the terminal all at once. But I have no idea how many people they allow in each of those "staggered" 1/2 hour time slots? As it is right now, our cruise in 60 days has ALL 10 time slots still open.

If you *assume* that full capacity is 2,974 and there are 10 check-in time slots, then approx. 300 people will be able to check-in at the same time. Then in another 20mins or so, another 300 people will be in the terminal. While I've never done "staggered check-in" I would have to think that the 10am-10:30am folks that check-in will be given a "Zone 1" ticket to get on the ship first (well, after the FTTF, Platinum and Diamond folks). I would love to hear from those who have actually DONE the whole "staggered check-in" and how they allow folks on the ship in a courteous, calm manner?

Disney was first come first serve, so it was crazy in the terminal...sitting on the floor, as there were no seats left...kids running around screaming...it was pretty chaotic. I'm hoping that Carnival's staggered check-in, makes waiting a little more enjoyable.

We cruised on the Freedom in November the first weekend of the staggered check-in and it was a hot mess that day but I'm sure they probably have the bugs worked out by now.

The steps and walk-way were roped off back to the point where you exit the terminal after debarkation. Diamond/Platinum/FTTF just have to show your boarding pass to the Carnival employee at that point to proceed down to the entry doors. Others arriving before their selected time were instructed to come back at their selected time.

There was not a separate line for security check-in but I've been told that has changed. Everyone proceeds through the terminal and up the same escalator to the main check in counters. Diamond/Platinum members no longer use the separate escalator straight to the VIP lounge. Again .. in November, there wasn't a separate line for Diamond/Platinum but there is now (or so I've been told).

Only Diamond/Platinum members are allowed in the VIP lounge. FTTF has separate area from the general boarding area - and Zone #'s are still used.

Once boarding starts - everything is pretty much the same as before. Wedding parties first, Diamond/Platinum members board next, followed by FTTF & then general boarding zones.

Your check in time has nothing to do with your zone number. The actual order in which you show up compared to the others guests does :) Show up earlier (with the proper check-in time allowing you entrance) and you will get an earlier zone tag.

When we sailed on Dec 6th there was not a separate line for anyone for the security check and it was insane. The previous poster who sailed in November mentioned the very long roped off "lane" to walk to the entrance. That lane was still there on December 6th. It stayed there and was actually a hinderance on debarkation day. It was POURING rain and storming. Instead of walking most of the way to shuttles under cover, we had to walk in the roadway to get to the shuttles because they don't move the ropes to allow passage for debarking guests =( I am NOT looking forward to that security line in February...

Still kinda confused-

Is there a best time to arrive in order to wait the least? I know some guests are anxious to get on the ship as early as possible. We don't care about getting onboard early, we just don't want to stand / sit in the terminal for hours.

All time slots are currently available; which one should we choose for the least wait from curb to gangway?

Thank You

• 1 month later...
Would like to hear if it has improved, same, worse?

Was on the 1/3/16 cruise on the magic and we had a 10:30-11:00 check in time and we arrived at the port around 10:50 they checked our boarding pass to make sure we are at the correct time. It took right at 10 min to get through security and there was no wait upstairs, went right to the counter to S/S cards and then straight onto the Ship. We were both amazed how great the new process was.

Still kinda confused-

Is there a best time to arrive in order to wait the least? I know some guests are anxious to get on the ship as early as possible. We don't care about getting onboard early, we just don't want to stand / sit in the terminal for hours.

All time slots are currently available; which one should we choose for the least wait from curb to gangway?

Thank You

You should choose the earliest time available. There is no problem showing up later than your assigned time, but they will not let you in the building if you show up early. If everything rubs as scheduled anytime after noon should give you the shortest wait in the terminal as boarding should have started and you should go straight onboard after checking in.

Was on the 1/3/16 cruise on the magic and we had a 10:30-11:00 check in time and we arrived at the port around 10:50 they checked our boarding pass to make sure we are at the correct time. It took right at 10 min to get through security and there was no wait upstairs, went right to the counter to S/S cards and then straight onto the Ship. We were both amazed how great the new process was.

Nice to hear!

Wow, they must have loaded the FTTF etc people already.

They would have been in a separate check in area.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

I would agree, the net of the net on this is the embarkation process is significantly better, much to the dismay of the wringing of hands, tearing of cloth and gnashing of teeth crowd.

I would agree, the net of the net on this is the embarkation process is significantly better, much to the dismay of the wringing of hands, tearing of cloth and gnashing of teeth crowd.

Exactly. Which is why yet another positive report got very few replies on here.

It's working!

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Just cruised on the Freedom 2/13 and had 10:30 to 11:00 slot, arrived at 10:15 and had to stand in line back away from the entrance. When 10:30 arrived the entire group walked forward and had our boarding passes checked at least 5 times before making it to the door into the terminal. People with the same time slot slipped under the walkway straps and got in line in front of my family and refused to go to the back of the line. Stayed in a line the entire process until receiving our Sail and Sign Card, very few agents working the counter during this early rush also, maybe 12 tops. Received Zone 4 stamp on my boarding pass which you must keep with you until you are actually boarding the ship. In the past we would show up around 10:30 and just work our way inside and never wait in much of a line at all. While waiting on our zone to be called there was a constant line waiting to get their S&S Cards all the way up to 12:30 when we were finally called to board. In the future we will probably select the 1:00 to 1:30 slot and show up around 1:15, should be able to ease right thru the process and also go straight to our cabin as they are usually ready by 1:30 anyways.

The thing I'm wondering is our cruise is mostly filled from what I understand but all the time slots are still open. I was thinking they limited a certain amount of people to each time slot but it appears this may not be true. ??

The thing I'm wondering is our cruise is mostly filled from what I understand but all the time slots are still open. I was thinking they limited a certain amount of people to each time slot but it appears this may not be true. ??

Maybe a lot of people haven't picked spots yet.

• 2 months later...