Galveston Staggered Embarkation ---- Any feedback?

Maggiepie

Sort of funny that nobody from the first "experiment" has not really responded. I know one person did, but having FTTF doesn't really count.

I have an idea! How about show up at your assigned time that YOU picked.

That's my plan come December 27th and I bet it works fine.

Would like to hear from those who actually experienced the new process. They arrived back yesterday and today. Hopefully, we will here from more people this week.

We sail in two weeks, and I'm pretty excited about the assigned boarding times. Boarding in Galveston is crazy. We have 11:00-11:30 board time. :eek:

This won't be very helpful, and I can't contribute as to the waiting because we were actually a few minutes late for our slot (1:00-1:30, got there about 1:35 which no one seemed to care about). The lines both at the security check and upstairs for check-in were a bit shorter than before and we got thru it all pretty quick. Of course, I don't know if that was because of the sort-of-lateish time or because of the staggered approach.

This won't be very helpful, and I can't contribute as to the waiting because we were actually a few minutes late for our slot (1:00-1:30, got there about 1:35 which no one seemed to care about). The lines both at the security check and upstairs for check-in were a bit shorter than before and we got thru it all pretty quick. Of course, I don't know if that was because of the sort-of-lateish time or because of the staggered approach.

Any feedback from recent Galveston cruisers is helpful. The shorter waiting time could be contributed to both things.

Can't wait to see what happens to folks who buy FTTF and then only the 1:00-1:30 boarding time is available. :)

FTTF has to pick a time just because it's part of the check in process. But they can show up when they want. Whenever they get there they will get priority. From my experience having used fttf in two different ports, fttf folks had separate lines and waiting areas from those that didn't. I don't see why it would make a bit of difference what time they pick.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see what happens to folks who buy FTTF and then only the 1:00-1:30 boarding time is available. :)

According to the Carnival website:

Q: When should I arrive at the terminal?

A: You must arrive at the cruise terminal within the 30 minute check-in window you selected. Check-in windows will be strictly enforced so that we can minimize wait times in the terminal. Guests who are part of our Priority Program (Diamond, Platinum and suites), have purchased transfers with Carnival or “Faster to the Fun” must still select a window online, but are invited to come at their leisure, up to one (1) hour prior to sailing. Departure times can be found on your boarding pass.

It looks like those that purchase FTTF still need a time frame but can board any time they want.

I saw some very upset and confused people that seemed to either be completely clueless about this becuase they did not read emails or confused because they always ignored email and now it was being enforced.

I'm guessing a little of both. Most likely people not on CC or any other kind of cruise related social media, who then only skim their e-mails and think it's the standard message telling them not to arrive early, which most have ignored in the past. Heck of a wake up call for some I'm sure.

While a guess; and perhaps a non-educated one we have two cruises booked since the new system went live. While we are platinum, I assume (dangerous part) that FTTF would have the same option as us. I got the first time slot on both cruises.

I called Carnival and asked if platinum had to adhere to the time slot program and was told yes, I cannot arrive prior to the reservation.

We have friends traveling with us on both cruises that aren't FTTF or platinum. One set will try arriving earlier than their slot, the others aren't such risk takers.

I'll report back what happens!

Edited by BallFour4

We just returned yesterday (Freedom) and check in Monday (Galveston) was pretty much of a confused mess outside the terminal. You can not use the steps up to the terminal entry doors. The sidewalk was roped off back to the area where you exit from when you disembark the ship - but there's no signage telling you and it's hard to see because they use the black strapping.

If you are Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you are allowed to continue to the doors to enter the building - but there weren't signs posted to tell you this. There was a lot of confusion and frustration by both passengers and employees. And if you were not in one of the 3 groups - early boarding was not being allowed as it has been before (disability, elderly, etc).

Diamond/Platinum did not go directly to the Captain's Lounge via the separate escalator to check-in as before either. Everyone was directed on through the terminal and to the same counter to be checked in, given S&S card and then to the Captains lounge or FTTF area.

The rules were being strictly enforced.

Edited by Baylee

My question is and what about families and groups, we have a group of 22 or so on Dec 6th and it gave us 4 different times 1030-1100 was 1 11-00 to 1130 another family and 1;00-1;30 2 FAMILIES.. so it is confusing......I know they are trying to help and speed it up but I have went out of Galveston many many times, on Carnival, RCCL and even Princess before the went to Houston and never had a huge issue first come first served is a way of life, now we want to make people stress on vacation to be on a certain time frame.....we are driving 5 hours to terminal, alot plays into this and that........it shall be interesting.

I'm guessing a little of both. Most likely people not on CC or any other kind of cruise related social media, who then only skim their e-mails and think it's the standard message telling them not to arrive early, which most have ignored in the past. Heck of a wake up call for some I'm sure.

We saw the same thing - a time slot was chosen but decided to show up WAY early anyway. We talked to one guy later that evening who had select a 2:00 check in but arrived at 10:30 am .. and had to wait. He was not a happy camper.

My question is and what about families and groups, we have a group of 22 or so on Dec 6th and it gave us 4 different times 1030-1100 was 1 11-00 to 1130 another family and 1;00-1;30 2 FAMILIES.. so it is confusing......I know they are trying to help and speed it up but I have went out of Galveston many many times, on Carnival, RCCL and even Princess before the went to Houston and never had a huge issue first come first served is a way of life, now we want to make people stress on vacation to be on a certain time frame.....we are driving 5 hours to terminal, alot plays into this and that........it shall be interesting.

Everybody go at 1-130 and all will be allowed on , if not split into your assigned boarding times

I would suggest calling your PVP and ask that it all be changed to the same time. There were so many people that 'took a chance' and blocked the sidewalk so that the ones there at their assigned times couldn't get through. The lines were crazy.

You were assigned those slots propably because not everyone in the group picked a slot on their own.

As the previous poster said, everyone show up to check in with the latest slot. Or don't go together and check in at your respective time.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Edited by cruizinisthebest

We just returned yesterday (Freedom) and check in Monday (Galveston) was pretty much of a confused mess outside the terminal. You can not use the steps up to the terminal entry doors. The sidewalk was roped off back to the area where you exit from when you disembark the ship - but there's no signage telling you and it's hard to see because they use the black strapping.

If you are Diamond/Platinum/FTTF you are allowed to continue to the doors to enter the building - but there weren't signs posted to tell you this. There was a lot of confusion and frustration by both passengers and employees. And if you were not in one of the 3 groups - early boarding was not being allowed as it has been before (disability, elderly, etc).

Diamond/Platinum did not go directly to the Captain's Lounge via the separate escalator to check-in as before either. Everyone was directed on through the terminal and to the same counter to be checked in, given S&S card and then to the Captains lounge or FTTF area.

The rules were being strictly enforced.

Thank you for sharing your experience with the new process. This is exactly what the OP and I are interested in. I posted the link to the Carnival FAQs at the beginning of this thread to hopefully cut down on the speculation. Looking to hear about actual experience. Thanks!

We sail in two weeks, and I'm pretty excited about the assigned boarding times. Boarding in Galveston is crazy. We have 11:00-11:30 board time. :eek:

Just to clarify, you have a 11:00-11:30 check in time. Boarding may happen later, depending on the readiness of the ship, etc.

Edited by kbanowsky

Hello All,

I know I am new here, but didn't see too many replies by folks who had gone through the process, so I figured I will chime in. Keep in mind, this was our first cruise, so I have nothing to compare it too. Several weeks ago, I received the e-mail about the new stagger check-in and selected the 1030 time.

We arrived at the terminal after parking around 10 AM. At this point, there were already many people milling about waiting to go inside. I agree with previous posters, there aren't many signs letting you know what to do. The only sign we saw said check in. Once we got to that sign we saw that walkway was roped off, with Carnival employees standing in front of the ropes.

One of the attendants checked our passes and pointed to a general area for 1030 folks to stand at (near the ropes). While standing and waiting, I saw several passengers go through (I'm assuming higher VIFP or FTTF). We also saw many people directed to stand in general areas by us and behind us. (In fact, we spoke with some people that had a check-in of 11 who stood next to us)

I should note here, that there were no signs to tell people of different groups where to stand. Because of this, and lack of more detailed guidance from employees (There were many more of us than of them!) the whole front of the terminal turned into a mess of people.

One of the employees started walking around stating that you cannot enter until the time on your pass comes. Luckily enough, they let the 1030 crowd start entering at 1015.

Once inside and seated, we saw the 1100 people we were speaking with come in around 1105, so I assume they were let in early as well since it takes a few minutes to get through security and check in. I didn't notice anyone getting upset, although we were in the terminal pretty quickly.

In the end, the process seemed pretty smooth. More signage and guidance would have been nice. But again, I have no past experience to compare it too.

Hope this helps!

We went through the staggered embarkation process today, and I'm currently onboard (I know, I know...why in the heck am I online instead of playing. Well, that will happen shortly, trust me!). I set us up for a time of 1100-1130. We got there and noticed many people 'hanging' outside the terminal. As Platinum members who were taking our bags onboard ourselves, we were promptly ushered into the terminal by Carnival personnel outside. Once inside, we were surprised at how many folks were not only in the priority line, but how crowded and disorganized the whole terminal experience seemed to go. If this new process was meant to provide order, then it is a failure thus far. There was a definite lack of signage telling us where to go, and after check-in the rep stamped something on our paperwork and told us to just go to the front of another big crowd of folks waiting to board. People were looking at us walk past them as if to say "where in the hell are THEY going?!?". Luckily, a Carnival rep came towards us, asked were we platinum, and ushered us on through towards the Welcome Aboard picture taking ritual. It was only at this point did it hit me that there was not going to be a Platinum lounge experience. Wow, I know they're cutting back, but I didn't think that we were eating THAT many cookies in the lounge! LOL

This was easily the worst boarding experience we've had as platinum members. Hell, for that matter, as ANY member! This is our third time boarding in Galveston...hopefully #4 will be much better than today.

In the end, the process seemed pretty smooth. More signage and guidance would have been nice. But again, I have no past experience to compare it too.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Welcome to CC! Your post was informative and constructive. A few weeks ago this topic blew up and posts were removed. From what you experienced, people were either turned away or directed to a general waiting area. Also to understand that this was strictly enforced. I cruise out of Galveston Dec 13 and will also post my experience. Thanks Again!

We went through the staggered embarkation process today, and I'm currently onboard (I know, I know...why in the heck am I online instead of playing. Well, that will happen shortly, trust me!). I set us up for a time of 1100-1130. We got there and noticed many people 'hanging' outside the terminal. As Platinum members who were taking our bags onboard ourselves, we were promptly ushered into the terminal by Carnival personnel outside. Once inside, we were surprised at how many folks were not only in the priority line, but how crowded and disorganized the whole terminal experience seemed to go. If this new process was meant to provide order, then it is a failure thus far. There was a definite lack of signage telling us where to go, and after check-in the rep stamped something on our paperwork and told us to just go to the front of another big crowd of folks waiting to board. People were looking at us walk past them as if to say "where in the hell are THEY going?!?". Luckily, a Carnival rep came towards us, asked were we platinum, and ushered us on through towards the Welcome Aboard picture taking ritual. It was only at this point did it hit me that there was not going to be a Platinum lounge experience. Wow, I know they're cutting back, but I didn't think that we were eating THAT many cookies in the lounge! LOL

This was easily the worst boarding experience we've had as platinum members. Hell, for that matter, as ANY member! This is our third time boarding in Galveston...hopefully #4 will be much better than today.

So do Platinum, Diamond, and Suites no longer check in at the Captain's Lounge? We were on the Magic the week before they started this new process and checked in at the Captain's Lounge.

Edited by cruiser fanatic

So do Platinum, Diamond, and Suites no longer check in at the Captain's Lounge? We were on the Magic the week before they started this new process and checked in at the Captain's Lounge.

There was no check-in whatsoever in the Captain's lounge. If there was a Captain's Lounge at all, we missed it! We went to the far left end of the same counter that everyone else went to. From there, to the ship after being 'plucked' from the same line as non-priority folks.

I was so ready to feel 'special' (lol) as a Platinum guest, but that was not the case today.

Edited by RMcoolX

There was no check-in whatsoever in the Captain's lounge. If there was a Captain's Lounge at all, we missed it! We went to the far left end of the same counter that everyone else went to. From there, to the ship after being 'plucked' from the same line as non-priority folks.

I was so ready to feel 'special' (lol) as a Platinum guest, but that was not the case today.

Sounds like you got on the ship pretty quick. I'd imagine that beats waiting around in a lounge.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Welcome to CC! Your post was informative and constructive. A few weeks ago this topic blew up and posts were removed. From what you experienced, people were either turned away or directed to a general waiting area. Also to understand that this was strictly enforced. I cruise out of Galveston Dec 13 and will also post my experience. Thanks Again!

I appreciate the feedback and kind words. I look forward to reading what you experience next month!