Heathrow Arrival

lcumpire

We will be flying from the US to Heathrow arriving on a Sunday at about 9:30 PM. I am trying to get an idea of the length of the queue that time of the evening. I know that it all depends on a number of things that could happen but I am asking anyways.

Do the epassport queue help or hinder?

Thanx

Which terminal are you flying into?

Very generally, the worst time to arrive at LHR is from about 7am till about 1pm. But as you say, it depends on so many factors. I would say that arriving at 9.30pm is going to be somewhat less busy than mornings but definitely dependant on terminal.

I've just noticed your question about epassport queue. What passport do you hold? If not an EEA passport, are you asking about joining the Registered Traveller scheme?

Edited by Isklaar

Thanx for responding. We will be arriving in Terminal 2. I have a US passport with a chip in the cover that indicates who I am and, supposedly, there are computer kiosks that can read the chip and ketone enter the UK. Of course if the regular lines are short would probably just go through those lines instead of depending on a computer.

Thanx for responding. We will be arriving in Terminal 2. I have a US passport with a chip in the cover that indicates who I am and, supposedly, there are computer kiosks that can read the chip and ketone enter the UK. Of course if the regular lines are short would probably just go through those lines instead of depending on a computer.

To use your passport in the automated e gates you need to be a member of the Registered Traveller Service. Only ePassport holders from the European Economic Area and Switzerland can automatically use the e Gates.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Thanx - this is why I am asking CC for help - I guess that the US is not part of the EEA - to bad

There's a new UK Registered Traveller program for holders of US passports. However, it is expensive, literally five times more expensive than the equivalent program in the US which qualifies a person for trusted traveler status for five years. And, one of the requirements is that applicant must have made 4 visits to the UK within the previous 52 weeks. Even if the once- or twice-a-year visitor wants to spend the money, he/she would be unable to apply.

Here's the link to the program description:

https://www.gov.uk/registered-traveller

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

It totally depends. I have been lucky in the past. Though last time there were delays due to visitors who didn't read English or just ignored passport control people who went to the wrong line because it was shorter and messed up the whole process for people who were in the correct lines. The lines were separated for different passports visas etc. Because travellers kept going in wrong line when they got to counter they didn't have correct documentation. I saw this with staffed passport control and the automated PC. Once we got pass this stage everything thing else went smoothly. If this is because you want to arrange transport. If going by public transport or hotel shuttle these come and go regularly from airport. If a private transfer I would arrange that you will call them when at passport control. This way you can gauge delays.

Other than the last time I went through I have had no extraordinary long delays