Playa Palancar or Paradise Beach?

Luv1204

I am really looking forward to a beautiful beach day in Cozumel. Nice soft sand, beautiful color water, and a few good drinks. Would like a relaxing day, away from the crowds of the ship. Was wondering which beach would be better for the day. From what I have read, the beach is nicer at Playa Palancar and its not much of a further taxi ride. I have heard the beach water entrance has many rocks at Paradise but still nice plus they have a great pool. Since we are only there for 1 day I really want to make the right choice. I would appreciate the help. Thanks in Advance.

Well, if it's crowds you wish to avoid, and there are lots of ships in port (more than 2), Paradise Beach should not be on your radar.

Look into Corona Beach Club on Trip Advisor. It's closer than Palancar, in the same general area as PB and Chankanaab. Has some iron shore like Money Bar and you'll need water shoes, but a closer alternative against the crowds.

Still heading down to Palancar for long sandy beaches, good food, good drinks, and peace and quiet is worth the few $ more in taxi, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
Do they have beach chairs to use or rent at Palancar?

Yes, there were wooden beach chairs available with no charge at Playa Palancar when we were last there. Although, I'm sure that purchasing drinks from the bar(which we did) and/or food is appreciated.

The sand and water at Playa Palancar was nice, and it was a pleasant place to spend the day. However, for those that like to save a few bucks, I would recommend trying to share a cab -- As the fare($25 each way) is the same for a couple, as it is for up to 4 people.

So its $50 roundtrip for 2 or a $100

About $50 round trip (pay each way separate unless you arrange return trip and pay back at pier) for up to 4 people in the taxi.

Incidentally we were there a couple of weeks ago and it was the busiest I have seen it. Not noisy but certainly plenty of people.

Edited by c-leg5

• 4 weeks later...

We have always asked our waiter to bring us cushions for our chairs and there has never been a charge. There are also hammocks up in the trees just beyond the beach. I think as long as you buy something from the bar or restaurant no one will say anything. We have gone and just purchased soft drinks or eaten a large lunch.

Thinking of leading my family in this direction. There will be 15 of us. 4 girls ages 5 to 12 and my father uses a walker / wheelchair. Part of my family is thrifty, the other part likes to splurge on cocktails, food, and fun. We want a quiet place for the adults but also be entertaining to the girls. I hope this is the right decision :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I just came back from Palancar and did a full review on it. You can find it HERE. There's TONS of pictures. Click the link and scroll down the page until around 351. :)

Hi mitsugirly, I've been reading some of your reviews. Thank you for all the time you've spent providing the great information. Can you tell me if there is any shade on Playa Palancar? My wife doesn't like sitting in the sun for too long and she doesn't like laying on a towel in the sand. It appears there are chairs here but if I know there's shade then this may be the perfect place for us.

Hi mitsugirly, I've been reading some of your reviews. Thank you for all the time you've spent providing the great information. Can you tell me if there is any shade on Playa Palancar? My wife doesn't like sitting in the sun for too long and she doesn't like laying on a towel in the sand. It appears there are chairs here but if I know there's shade then this may be the perfect place for us.

Oh there's definitely a lot of shade. If I didn't have a young child that I had to be right down by the water, this would have been the place I would have set up camp at. It was so beautiful in the shady area.

P2220503%20copy-L.jpg

P2220426%20copy-L.jpg

P2220427%20copy-L.jpg

P2220428%20copy-L.jpg

P2220432%20copy-L.jpg

As you can see looking from the beach back, plenty of trees and shade.

P2220494%20copy-L.jpg

There are certainly plenty of tables and chairs in the shade but I don't think there are many loungers, if that is important to you.

We have visited several times but never stayed all day. Last time we went, last November, was the busiest I have ever seen it (late lunch). We ended up having to sit in the area at the back (shown in Mitsugirly's photos). I found it disappointing - it felt enclosed and my ankles got bites. I prefer the tables and chairs under the palapas/umbrellas nearer the ocean, or on the terrace.

There is also a large palapa dining area.

Edited by c-leg5