Nervous about bad Escape reviews?

Barnes11

Absolutely not! When I went on the Breakaway in 2013, she had been getting some pretty mediocre reviews. What I found once I was on board, though, was that every single one of the issues that I observed seemed to stem from the passengers themselves, not the ship or crew. I had an absolutely wonderful cruise to Bermuda, and I even posted that I must have been sailing on a different ship than all of the Negative Nelly posters. Most of the time, if you approach something with a positive outlook, you'll have a positive experience. If you approach it with the outlook that you're going to be disappointed, well, that's what you'll get.

I find reviews valuable, I rely on them heavily. .....Reviews in a month will be much more telling

While the desire some folks seem to have to be the first on board a new cruise ship (or first to try a new restaurant; or first to see a new play; etc) is understandable, we've always been content to wait at least a few weeks to allow the initial kinks to get worked out. Any new project that relies on the cooperation and teamwork of human beings, whether it's dozens, or hundreds, of workers, is going to take some time to operate smoothly no matter how much training or practice is done beforehand. The real world is simply different than rehearsals. We're reading the early Escape reviews with interest, but we'll put much more weight on reviews in a month or so as we get ready for our January cruise on her.

I try to take all reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt. After all, what is important to one person may be irrelevant to another. I read them to get a sense of things and the only time I get concerned (and that's not even really the right word) is if the same thing is mentioned by numerous reviews, especially if it's mentioned both in reviews that are generally positive and those that are generally negative. However, I've found that even those types of issues (often related to crowding or slow/poor service) are ones that can be dealt with as long as I'm prepared.

But, I don't really pay attention to overall numbers. People are more likely to take the time to complain/vent than to praise (just human nature). And on a ship with 4000 passengers, even if 99% are happy you still have 40 people who are unhappy. It's just the nature of the beast.

And, overall, I'm a firm believer that your vacation is what you make of it. Short of a serious disaster or structural issue, how other people (passengers or staff) affect your cruise is largely dependent on you and your attitude. I've yet to take a cruise where I didn't have some minor irritations, but that's all they are, minor, unless I let them become a major thing. Sometimes that's easier said than done, but it's still on me to deal with it in a way that doesn't take over my vacation.

For all the complaining we do on these boards, I don't think there's ever a time you should let a review change your mind about a booking. Understand the issue and be prepared is all you can do.

We had the same concerns about the Breakaway when it was new. We went anyway, had a great time and went on her again. Yes we had a bad experience the last time which was when we realized the large ships are not for us.

The problem with large ships, any large ship, is when something out of the norm affects only a few on the ship, there's little they can do to make it right other than strawberry's or wine or credits. And, with large passenger counts there's always something popping up more frequently if only because of numbers.

Take for example the main theater, way too small on the breakaway. So what they do is schedule multiple venues, often repeated, across the voyage. That works until one gets overwhelmed during a particular show and you wind up with group upset customers.

My advice is go on your trip and decide for yourself if large ships are for you or not.

I try to take all reviews, good and bad, with a grain of salt. After all, what is important to one person may be irrelevant to another. I read them to get a sense of things and the only time I get concerned (and that's not even really the right word) is if the same thing is mentioned by numerous reviews, especially if it's mentioned both in reviews that are generally positive and those that are generally negative. However, I've found that even those types of issues (often related to crowding or slow/poor service) are ones that can be dealt with as long as I'm prepared.

But, I don't really pay attention to overall numbers. People are more likely to take the time to complain/vent than to praise (just human nature). And on a ship with 4000 passengers, even if 99% are happy you still have 40 people who are unhappy. It's just the nature of the beast.

And, overall, I'm a firm believer that your vacation is what you make of it. Short of a serious disaster or structural issue, how other people (passengers or staff) affect your cruise is largely dependent on you and your attitude. I've yet to take a cruise where I didn't have some minor irritations, but that's all they are, minor, unless I let them become a major thing. Sometimes that's easier said than done, but it's still on me to deal with it in a way that doesn't take over my vacation.

I had to respond just to let you know that I could not agree anymore with everything you said!

Took the words right out of my mouth :cool:

I'm really nervous, too. We are spending a lot of money (for us) to celebrate our anniversary, and I will be very disappointed if I spend most of my vacation waiting in an hour and a half line to eat. I already have a reservation, so I feel "stuck". I hope they get the service issues fixed before May.

I think you have to put everything into perspective. First, people are much more likely to complain than to complement. I once read that if a person was happy with a product or a service they would tell on average 3 other people. Unhappy with a product or service they tell on average 11.

Second, it's a new ship. People had very high expectations that this ship would WOW them. If expectations were unrealistically set to high (By NCL, or the person themselves) they may have been disappointed.

Third, as others have pointed out, this is the first week of "Normal" cruises, most of the others were 1-3 day sample cruises, packed to the rafters, and everyone trying to cram 7-day worth of activities in just a few.

I've been reading these boards for a long time, and one thing I learned is that nearly every new ship, regardless of the cruise line, started off with negative reviews. Some of the harshest critics are long-time passengers of the cruise line who hated any changes.

Edited by Rosethorn40

I'm really nervous, too. We are spending a lot of money (for us) to celebrate our anniversary, and I will be very disappointed if I spend most of my vacation waiting in an hour and a half line to eat. I already have a reservation, so I feel "stuck". I hope they get the service issues fixed before May.

I'm with the majority here. I remember similar negative reviews when the Epic came out. We were sailing on it roughly 6 months after its debut and by then it was perfect. We didn't find any of the earlier complaints valid.

We're pretty confident that will be the case with the Escape as well. Its hard to compare the TA cruise and the 3-day cruise with its weekly itinerary. I think once they have a half dozen trips under their belt, the crew will become more efficient and they should have these things worked out.

We too are sailing in May 2016 and we're not concerned. I will point out that when reading the long waits for dining, most reviews don't specify the time that they went to dinner. Just like any land based restaurant, prime time of 7:00-8:00 pm may be the contributing to the wait time. We typically try to beat the rush by going to dinner around 6:00 (yeah I know, senior hour) but at least we were getting in with a minimal wait. I recall one time on the Epic going to the Manhattan Room at 7:30 and it was a 45 minute wait if we wanted a table for 2. They offered us a table for 6 with 2 other couples that were not together and we took it. Had a blast! Turned out to be a good time. Hopefully they staff on the Escape will be just as accommodating.

If you approach a cruise with a negative or nervous attitude I often find that it plays out onboard as you look for things. If you approach it with a positive attitude then you'll have fun.

A lot of the negatives as others have mentioned and my own experience wasn't ship related but NCL admin and logistics.

A speciality ale bar with half sold out at the start wasn't going to gain much positives from craft ale lovers. I assume with regular weekly stocks that more will be available.

I'd hope by now the parts have arrived for the drop water slides which weren't ready for the initial cruises.

Similarly the fact the pods for the new coffee makers hadn't arrived in time.

Margaritaville has been victim of own success. The first time at the start of my cruise there was empty tables, by the end 1.5hr queues but we didn't stand in line we came back at the time and walked in! The kitchen area is too small for the number of tables which causes frustration as they purposely didn't set all tables as complaints for long waits after orders etc..

Personally I preferred Breakaway. Both for variety of bars and it had a indoor nightclub. Others prefer this.

Supper club was one of the best shows I've seen but for me after midnight and million dollar quarter just wasn't my era. Still don't know who that Carl bloke was.. :confused:

Research is everything.. If you like wine then this has the special wine bar and a wine musical dinner.

Escape is not Breakaway, it's not Epic. Each has its own personality to match individual tastes.

"If you approach a cruise with a negative or nervous attitude I often find that it plays out onboard as you look for things. If you approach it with a positive attitude then you'll have fun.

Research is everything.."

Could not have said it better

>>>Supper club was one of the best shows I've seen but for me after midnight and million dollar quarter just wasn't my era. Still don't know who that Carl bloke was...<<<

Aiiiieee! The music lover in me can't let this go by without comment. That "Carl" would be Carl Perkins, one of the foremost rockabilly artists of the 50's and a big influence on guitar playing in rock music of the 60's and onward. Maybe the two best things to know about him are: (1) That he wrote "Blue Suede Shoes", the song that Elvis sang and made so popular; and (2) That the Beatles recorded more Carl Perkins songs than any other songwriter's, not counting themselves.

You may now resume your normal cruise ship programming.....

Howl at The Moon, Second City, Rock of Ages-(The Real Deal, Vegas Quality) amazing food, gorgeous ship..

Dude, just, Dude. Chill out and prepare to have a blast.

I forgot the Cirque show..you get filet there..

Dude, just, Dude.... Are you in a different thread? There is no Second City, Rock of Age, or Cirque on the Escape.

On the TA.

There were some serious issues over timings with some dining.

These were not isolated events, primary reason seemed to be overbooking and galley limitations.

La cucina and moderno were the best service and liked the new offerings.

At certain times delays just getting drinks to the table once(bistro) took over an hour, 30mins was common, drinks order should be complete within 10mins of being seated.

District brew house had issues early in the cruise over service these were mostly resolved during the trip after discussion with the relevant people but they ran out of beers.

If they can get the dining experience slicker things will be good and tables will get released quicker in the busy locations.

No real deal breakers on a TA loads of sea days so you have to be hanging somewhere just a bit irritating.

"If you approach a cruise with a negative or nervous attitude I often find that it plays out onboard as you look for things. If you approach it with a positive attitude then you'll have fun.

Research is everything.."

Could not have said it better

Wise words!!! I have heard so many complaints here on CC and onboard during a cruise. No one is perfect and expecting perfection is just silly. Know what you are purchasing and accept that there will always be a few bumps in the road no matter how you travel. You will be much happier that way :)

>>>Supper club was one of the best shows I've seen but for me after midnight and million dollar quarter just wasn't my era. Still don't know who that Carl bloke was...<<<

Aiiiieee! The music lover in me can't let this go by without comment. That "Carl" would be Carl Perkins, one of the foremost rockabilly artists of the 50's and a big influence on guitar playing in rock music of the 60's and onward. Maybe the two best things to know about him are: (1) That he wrote "Blue Suede Shoes", the song that Elvis sang and made so popular; and (2) That the Beatles recorded more Carl Perkins songs than any other songwriter's, not counting themselves.

You may now resume your normal cruise ship programming.....

Thanks. A couple of decades before I was born. I did ask my folks when I got back [emoji3]

We were on the transatlantic and there were problems...sure....but we had a great time. We have been on over 30 cruises, none were perfect, but we enjoyed everyone!

StAy positive, remember this is your vacation, you'll love it!