Bring shipping boxes aboard

dabucs

Anyone had an issue bringing a box or two of (legal) stuff aboard? Have three little girls, but probably not enough suitcases for all the stuff we want to bring. We would hand them to porter with tags on all sides…not carry aboard. Going on Liberty from Galveston.

Anyone had an issue bringing a box or two of (legal) stuff aboard? Have three little girls, but probably not enough suitcases for all the stuff we want to bring. We would hand them to porter with tags on all sides…not carry aboard. Going on Liberty from Galveston.

I do not know of any policy saying you can not bring a box of legal stuff. But, I have seen how checked things are stuffed into "cages" and loaded on the ship. I would be very surprised if a box would make it to your cabin undamaged.

Yes, you can check boxes. Check out the family forum. Lots of families there check a box of diapers and wipes that they pick up in the port city instead of wasting their checked luggage space on flights to port.

if you are okay with items in the boxes being lost or damaged you DO NOT NEED THEM in the first place.

hence no need to pack them at all

Correct, but I want to bring more stuff. I don't "need" the trip either, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

The box will be fine, they will put it on top so it won't get squished. That poster has never even checked a box.:rolleyes:

you know NOTHING of my packing past. so keep your opinions on the subject of what I have or have not done to yourself.

I would suggest getting some sort of reinforced box if you're going to want it to be intact enough to get it off the ship and through the "big pile of luggage in the terminal with other passengers crawling all over it and tossing it aside in their attempt to get to their own luggage with no regard for anyone else's belongings" in one piece.

Tomato boxes, if you can obtain them, are great -- they are double-walled with a formed lid (rather than flaps) and sturdier than a typical cardboard box. Sources to try would be sandwich shops (Subway, Jimmy John's, etc.), delicatessens, restaurants.

But even easier/safer, IMO, would be to purchase a plastic tote bin. They can be purchased for under ten dollars (often $5 on sale) in a wide variety of sizes and colors, and they can be used for other purposes after the cruise.

You may even be able to borrow one from family/friends and return it after the cruise, if you don't want to purchase one.