QM2 Lost (Stolen?) Bag

Leralie

Leralie,

Many of us are following this thread with both interest and sympathy.

I am hoping, as someone suggested earlier, that this couple has been traveling and is, therefore, unable to receive communication… but, that this will resolve when they return home and all can be put to right.

Please do let us know the ultimate outcome.

Jimmybean

I really appreciate all of the support. Thank you for the encouraging words.

It seems the most likely scenario by far that the people who left their bags at the pier have my bag and don't realise it. I really, really hope that's the case (though I wonder who travels for this long without even checking their email? I wish I could manage that kind of trip).

I really appreciate all of the support. Thank you for the encouraging words.

It seems the most likely scenario by far that the people who left their bags at the pier have my bag and don't realise it. I really, really hope that's the case (though I wonder who travels for this long without even checking their email? I wish I could manage that kind of trip).

No, I don't think that is the most likely scenario. You maintain that a passenger whose name and other personal details you published on another thread, left his or her bags at the pier and took one of your bags. I'm not certain why you believe that particular passenger took your bag. Even if that passengers unclaimed bags remain at the port, that does not mean she/he/they have your bag, does it?

One of my suitcases went missing once...I never learned who took it by mistake, but I was grateful to the Cunard passenger who found it and phoned me. I wish for you the same happy result. -S.

No, I don't think that is the most likely scenario. You maintain that a passenger whose name and other personal details you published on another thread, left his or her bags at the pier and took one of your bags. I'm not certain why you believe that particular passenger took your bag. Even if that passengers unclaimed bags remain at the port, that does not mean she/he/they have your bag, does it?

One of my suitcases went missing once...I never learned who took it by mistake, but I was grateful to the Cunard passenger who found it and phoned me. I wish for you the same happy result. -S.

Well, the other passenger who left a bag at the pier was in my same disembarkation group AND left a bag that was identical to mine. Same brand, same colour, same style. That would be a very big coincidence, don't you think? Both the Brooklyn pier and Cunard have told me separately that they believe these people took my bag by accident.

I'm sorry if you think I did the wrong thing here but I need to find my bag and I don't have many other options at this stage.

Believe me, there are lots of people with the same name in Virginia. I don't think it is out of line to see if anyone came in contact with this person while on the ship. And there are no other personal details on that post.

I can see you have already tried posting on their page. You might be better trying a private message with the details you have.

Which Cunard page have you posted on, is it the official Cunard page. If so have you tried posting on the Cunard fan page more people might look on there or recognise the name.

Edited by amajaa

Well, the other passenger who left a bag at the pier was in my same disembarkation group AND left a bag that was identical to mine. Same brand, same colour, same style. That would be a very big coincidence, don't you think? Both the Brooklyn pier and Cunard have told me separately that they believe these people took my bag by accident.

I'm sorry if you think I did the wrong thing here but I need to find my bag and I don't have many other options at this stage.

Believe me, there are lots of people with the same name in Virginia. I don't think it is out of line to see if anyone came in contact with this person while on the ship. And there are no other personal details on that post.

I admit to being confused (nothing unusal there :)...On your other thread, you wrote that "they certainly left two bags of their own in Brooklyn". Here you say "a bag that was identical to mine" was left. Do you know how many bags in total remain unclaimed from your voyage? Not that that really matters - the important thing is that you are trying to locate your missing bag which may or may not have any connection with any unclaimed bags.

You mentioned that you hoped to shame Cunard into acting by your Facebook posting. (I'm not on Facebook, so I have no idea what was written.) What is it that you want Cunard to do, if you don't mind my asking?

BTW, we might think it's silly, but there are people who prefer that their names not be associated with mass internet searches for their contact information. And perhaps people have different reasons wanting to keep their travel whereabouts off the internet. For example, last week I was talking to someone about their recent cruise, and he asked me to keep it just between us that he took his family on a cruise because he didn't want his mother-in-law to know...apparently because she constantly tells him he spends his money on the wrong things.:eek:

Salacia

I admit to being confused (nothing unusal there :)...On your other thread, you wrote that "they certainly left two bags of their own in Brooklyn". Here you say "a bag that was identical to mine" was left. Do you know how many bags in total remain unclaimed from your voyage? Not that that really matters - the important thing is that you are trying to locate your missing bag which may or may not have any connection with any unclaimed bags.

You mentioned that you hoped to shame Cunard into acting by your Facebook posting. (I'm not on Facebook, so I have no idea what was written.) What is it that you want Cunard to do, if you don't mind my asking?

BTW, we might think it's silly, but there are people who prefer that their names not be associated with mass internet searches for their contact information. And perhaps people have different reasons wanting to keep their travel whereabouts off the internet. For example, last week I was talking to someone about their recent cruise, and he asked me to keep it just between us that he took his family on a cruise because he didn't want his mother-in-law to know...apparently because she constantly tells him he spends his money on the wrong things.:eek:

Salacia

Honestly, Salacia, I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. I am sorry that you find what I am doing to be so confusing, but you don't have all the facts and I am not obligated to share them with you. Further, many of these facts came to light after I started both of these threads.

If Cruise Critic thought that I had done the wrong thing, the mods would have taken my post down. If you would like to pursue that with them, then please do.

I do know how many bags remain unclaimed from my voyage (two). One of them is identical to my bag. Both of them belong to these people (who were in my disembarkation group, which was a very early one, so very few people were off the ship before us).

I'm sensitive to the internet privacy issue; I really am. I'm 33 and I work in technology...this ain't my first rodeo on the interwebz. However, I am going to do whatever I have to do in order to find my bag - which by the way contains a number of items that I would rather not have out in the public, such as my work laptop and all of the data stored on it (I packed it in there accepting that it might break but never thinking it might disappear altogether).

There is no significant personal information on my other post. Just a relatively common name and a very rough location. If it were that easy to identify and track these people down, I guarantee I would have achieved it by now. I am fairly confident that no one's privacy is truly at stake.

Honestly, Salacia, I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve here. I am sorry that you find what I am doing to be so confusing, but you don't have all the facts and I am not obligated to share them with you. Further, many of these facts came to light after I started both of these threads.

If Cruise Critic thought that I had done the wrong thing, the mods would have taken my post down. If you would like to pursue that with them, then please do.

I do know how many bags remain unclaimed from my voyage (two). One of them is identical to my bag. Both of them belong to these people (who were in my disembarkation group, which was a very early one, so very few people were off the ship before us).

I'm sensitive to the internet privacy issue; I really am. I'm 33 and I work in technology...this ain't my first rodeo on the interwebz. However, I am going to do whatever I have to do in order to find my bag - which by the way contains a number of items that I would rather not have out in the public, such as my work laptop and all of the data stored on it (I packed it in there accepting that it might break but never thinking it might disappear altogether).

There is no significant personal information on my other post. Just a relatively common name and a very rough location. If it were that easy to identify and track these people down, I guarantee I would have achieved it by now. I am fairly confident that no one's privacy is truly at stake.

Your thread, as posted,has made perfect sense to me. Your problem was stated clearly enough for me to follow both the events and frustrations. You asked for help from a group that might be able to help. In your shoes, I would have done the same thing. I am sympathetic to issues of privacy, but in this situation, including a name might be the only way to achieve resolution. It is a sticky problem because time has passed, thus creating growing worry and doubt. I think your messages have been carefully worded not to assign blame unnecessarily. You are the victim of someone else's (probable) mistake which has created more than a minor inconvenience. You have, in my opinion, been levelheadedly working to solve something that never should have happened in the first place.

Others may have different opinions, but this is mine.

Jimmybean

Your thread, as posted,has made perfect sense to me. Your problem was stated clearly enough for me to follow both the events and frustrations. You asked for help from a group that might be able to help. In your shoes, I would have done the same thing. I am sympathetic to issues of privacy, but in this situation, including a name might be the only way to achieve resolution. It is a sticky problem because time has passed, thus creating growing worry and doubt. I think your messages have been carefully worded not to assign blame unnecessarily. You are the victim of someone else's (probable) mistake which has created more than a minor inconvenience. You have, in my opinion, been levelheadedly working to solve something that never should have happened in the first place.

Others may have different opinions, but this is mine.

Jimmybean

Thank you, Jimmybean. I really appreciate it.

Well, there is no news regarding the bag. Cunard has officially stopped looking (but that happened in very early November). I haven't been able to track these people down myself.

At this stage, I am claiming on my insurance for the bag and then crossing my fingers and hoping that the bag turns up somewhere. Cunard assures me that if the bag shows up after I claim, they will still return it to me.

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words. I will let you know if the bag ever shows up. :(

Sorry to hear your bag has not turned up. Seems very strange these people have not realized they are missing a bag. I admit to being very slow unpacking but even I would have noticed that I had somebody else's suitcase by now!:eek:

Please do let us know if your bag ever returns. I am staying hopeful.

You all are the best! Thanks for helping me stay positive. :)

I agree with you, Scrapnana. I am also a very slow unpacker but it has now been nearly two months. Even if these people don't have my bag, how have they not noticed that they are missing two of their own? Very strange.

You all are the best! Thanks for helping me stay positive. :)

I agree with you, Scrapnana. I am also a very slow unpacker but it has now been nearly two months. Even if these people don't have my bag, how have they not noticed that they are missing two of their own? Very strange.

Really sorry you've not had your special possessions returned to you. I wonder what was in the bags left behind and if an insurance claim has been made on them?

Really sorry you've not had your special possessions returned to you. I wonder what was in the bags left behind and if an insurance claim has been made on them?

That's an excellent question. I am planning to call the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal tomorrow anyway, and I will ask them if they will open the bag. They have said no in the past but it has been so long that they might be willing now.

• 4 weeks later...
We have not had any news of your lost luggage. Please update us. We are still holding our thumbs for you.

Skillies

Er yes. Having contributed to this thread earlier on I was hoping the New Year would have spawned a resolution.

Obviously not. The plot thickens.

Two unclaimed pieces of luggage have been stored in the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for almost two months without the contents being examined? That's disconcerting.

Based on security issues alone I'm surprised they haven't been checked.

Based on security issues alone I'm surprised they haven't been checked.

Yup. As a native New Yorker, my experience has been that no bag gets stored without being inspected first (visual inspection, X-Rayed, bomb sniffing dogs - the usual array). Fumigated second. And if no one is willing to pay for the storage, out it goes. If the usual protocol has not been followed in this case as has been reported, something is wrong somewhere.