From John Heald

jabberjaw070596

Sweet Dutch Girl, why do you want to eliminate FTTF and platinum? Are you disturbed that cruisers can board before you? Get your 75 days and you can board with us.

Some folks are still grieved about losing the Past Guest party as part of the Gold perks.

I'm not particularly worried about it. In my case, the most important Platinum perks are the fast lane at Guest Services, the free laundry, and the past guest party, in that order.

I just did the staggered time slot thing in Galveston, and I loved it.

You can still give your luggage to the porters . You could also just give your luggage to the hotel bell service and enjoy a leisurely breakfast. If more folks actually checked out at 11 and got to the port at 12, this would stop being a problem but so many folks are now arriving before departing guests are even off the ship. It is getting ridiculous.

Good point. In Galveston you could drop your bags and walk over to the Strand and easily kill an hour or 2.

This is ridiculous. Who would want to hang out in the lobby of a hotel?

How is it any different then hanging out at the terminal? Probably more comfortable given they have a lobby that usually has chairs and tvs.

I personally like the idea of set boarding times. Makes no difference to me if I boarded at 11am or 1pm and this will make it less of a mad rush.

My opinion is that this is an improvement. 11 or 1, what's the big deal?
Are you a troublemaker ? :D It's hard to know what change will piss off some . Frankly I've come to realize that any change will set people off . (Elimination of the Lido Deck Caribbean Band comes to mind)

This is ridiculous. Who would want to hang out in the lobby of a hotel?
So much better then standing in line at the terminal .

So much better then standing in line at the terminal .

That's your opinion. No one has ever been forced to get there early and wait. I happen to like waiting there, being checked in, seeing the ship, everyone's excitement, people watching. That's me.

So pick an early check in time. Simple.

People are complaining about something most haven't even experienced. At least see how it works and complain after. Otherwise it's just complaining to complain.

Here's the rub for those of us who fly in before; we have to be checked out of our room at 11:00. What do you do for a couple hours with all your luggage? I will hopefully always get FTTF, so it's not an issue.

MOST hotels will allow you to check out late...some as late as 1 or 2 pm if you request it when you make your reservation.

Here's the rub for those of us who fly in before; we have to be checked out of our room at 11:00. What do you do for a couple hours with all your luggage? I will hopefully always get FTTF, so it's not an issue.

Why is this the cruise line's problem? What would you do if you were ending a land based vacation and had a late flight home?

As soon as I heard about this I went in and filled out my on line check in and was able to choose the 10:30 time slot. This is for my cruise on the Magic in March. I haven't paid in full since final payment isn't due until January and I was still able to choose my check in time.

Do you remember where exactly you were prompted to choose the time? I filled out on-line check in earlier today for my context August and saw no mention of the check in time anywhere.

Edit: never mind. Found the answer in another string. Right now the Breeze is not included so will wait until it is added.

Edited by SATXLady

I know I will get flamed, but IMO getting in that first feeding is the #1 reason most want to get on the ship ASAP.

No flames here. Yes that is at least one of the primary reasons. "I paid for that day" blah blah. Well the buffet and guys, etc. are always open just until muster starts. You DON'T have to get there before those debarking are just finishing breakfast damn near! It has gotten out of hand and I'm one of those happy that Carnival has pumped the breaks on it all. You can find things to do or ask for late check out. Figure it out in other words.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Good point. In Galveston you could drop your bags and walk over to the Strand and easily kill an hour or 2.

Thanks Paperbkwriter! Noticed that our shuttle was bumped up in our pick-up time for Galveston and we are scheduled to arrived at 9:30 and have check-in at 10:30. We will drop our luggage and walk over to the Strand :)

I know I will get flamed, but IMO getting in that first feeding is the #1 reason most want to get on the ship ASAP.
You are sooo wrong ! The "#1 reason most want to get on the ship ASAP" , is to reserve chairs around the pool .

Then it's time for that first feeding ! :D

As soon as I heard about this I went in and filled out my on line check in and was able to choose the 10:30 time slot. This is for my cruise on the Magic in March. I haven't paid in full since final payment isn't due until January and I was still able to choose my check in time.

Can you tell me how you did this? I can not find anywhere on my on line check in where it gives me a choice for embarkation time. This is for a March sailing on the Glory.

Thanks

Can you tell me how you did this? I can not find anywhere on my on line check in where it gives me a choice for embarkation time. This is for a March sailing on the Glory.

Thanks

It has not rolled out to any other departure port yet. The Magic will still be in Galveston in March, which is where the pilot is taking place.

MOST hotels will allow you to check out late...some as late as 1 or 2 pm if you request it when you make your reservation.

We have stayed at some hotels where the last free shuttle is at 11:30 so a late check-out would not be possible unless you are willing to pay for a taxi. They want to clear people out of their hotel, too. In some hotels a lobby is completely filled by the people and luggage waiting for just one shuttle.

We are platinum so it isn't a problem for us, but I can see where it might be a problem for some.

Someone with no other place to go. I could have suggested the sidewalk, a local park or a homeless shelter. The point is if they are prohibiting entry into the terminal until an assigned (or chosen) check in time, people have options that aren't the equivalent of being stranded like the Donner party.

:D I have little to no sense of humor. When people respond to posts LOL, I rarely think it is funny. THIS really tickold (spelling) my funny bone!!!

i totally agree. this will make it alot harder on those flying in. the last thing i want to do is lug around 3 bags for hours after the hotel kicks us out. I will be heading right to the port no matter what time i get and sit outside for hours waiting while reading my kindle. We both have bad backs and cant pull all that luggage around for hours. at least at the port i can get rid of all but the carry on. From the sound of the people that have already seen this in action and posted on another thread this is what most people did. so i dont see how it was a great success when you had tons of people standing around out side the terminal congesting the way in. If RCCL can load over 6000 passengers and have a very minimal wait (we had less than 30 mins) than i dont see why carnival cant do the same thing. if they hired enough staff they would not have to inconvenience the guests. also from John's post he asked what time slot you would choose and of all the people not diamond and platinum 90% choose the early time. some even posted they would choose that time even if they did not have plans to get one that early just incase. this means they will run out of early times fast. this means clogged people waiting hours infront of the terminal - just hire more staff!!!

Some folks are still grieved about losing the Past Guest party as part of the Gold perks.

I'm not particularly worried about it. In my case, the most important Platinum perks are the fast lane at Guest Services, the free laundry, and the past guest party, in that order.

I just did the staggered time slot thing in Galveston, and I loved it.

of course you did since you are platinum it did not effect what time you could show up. but if you ever cruise with others that are not platinum it might affect you. they might get a late time and you will have to go ahead and leave them at the curb for hours.

......... If RCCL can load over 6000 passengers and have a very minimal wait (we had less than 30 mins) than i dont see why carnival cant do the same thing. if they hired enough staff they would not have to inconvenience the guests. also from John's post he asked what time slot you would choose and of all the people not diamond and platinum 90% choose the early time. some even posted they would choose that time even if they did not have plans to get one that early just incase. this means they will run out of early times fast. this means clogged people waiting hours infront of the terminal - just hire more staff!!!

Approx 30 check in agents is sufficient. The bottleneck is the security scanners. Both ports in Los Angeles only have three scanners per berth.

Another issue is the waiting areas. Long Beach has almost no indoor waiting areas, only the priority checkin building is outside the Dome. Even that has waiting for, at most, 40 people including those waiting to check in.

of course you did since you are platinum it did not effect what time you could show up. but if you ever cruise with others that are not platinum it might affect you. they might get a late time and you will have to go ahead and leave them at the curb for hours.

Actually I was cruising with friends and it was their very first cruise, and it worked out perfectly. Because only those with the early time slot were in the building the lines were very short. I was able to walk over and make sure they made it through security, then I was able to check on them while they got their S&S cards. We were able to wait together. They had zone 3 and were on "for their first feeding" as someone said within 15 minutes of us.

I'm not dismissing your point. If had they been assigned a late arrival time it would have complicated matters, as we travelled in the same car.