HAL Overbooked?

sghetrick

My TA just called me saying that HAL was offering a special to anyone who is flexible with their 2005 sailings.....if you moved your cruise to another 7 day cruise you would get a 50% rebate.......has anyone else received this call?

Throughout all of our years of cruising with HAL, it happened to us once. They never implied we would not be able to go on our cruise. We already had our documents. But they offered some benefit to us for giving up our Suite. They never speficially said they were overbooked but the implication was clear.

At first, we said No.....we are going on this cruise.

The offer got better. We again said, No, Thank you.

Finally, TA asked what it would take for us to give up the Suite.

We presented what we thought was a 'pie in the sky' request.

They agreed to it and we gave up our Suite.

It was one of the best decisions we ever made.

We went on an alternative cruise and had the time of our lives. We met people we are very, very good friends with today. People we really care about. We never before had such a wonderful time on any ship, any cruise......but have since...with the same people. :)

HAL must have needed/wanted our mid-ship Suite very badly. We are thrilled we were able 'to accomodate them'.

I just looked at my "options" since we are booked on the Zuiderdam, December 3. It doesn't seem there are many if I were offered this deal. As, I would still like to be able to use my airfare. I just love a deal, so would love to be offered the opportunity to give up my room :). It appears that the first two weeks in December are very popular weeks to cruise!

Marie

Several of us on this summer's cruise got "buyout" offers just days before boarding. I mean, four days in one or two cases. I could not adjust my plans and had to stick with the arrangements I had made over a year earlier. After the second call, my TA reminded them that I was a very early booker and had an inflexible work schedule.

Why would you say "of course" you turned it down? Maybe you could not change your plans and that I understand, but the few times we have been offered an alternative to a specific cruise the deal was so very sweet that we jumped on the offer. We have gotten some wonderful opportunities that way with HAL.

Our best deal, however, was with Orient the month after 9/11. Our original cruise included several Arab countries and the Suez canal. The itinerary was completely changed (we went around Africa). Then we were given an offer of 14 additional days on the ship, $4,000 back and having all our tips covered. Now that was a really sweet deal. Of course, one had to be able to add days to their trip or get off early, but either way it was a really great offer and fantastic cruise.

Thanks, I wonder if they ask the guarantee cabins first. Not that it matters that much, I mentioned it to the wife and she said "You got me all excited about going on a cruise and I already have a substitute teacher booked, we are going!"

LOL, I guess she is ready for a vacation! ;)

Are you going to take them up on the offer?

No, my husband basically said that he is way to excited to go in less than 2 weeks and there was no way he could wait longer :)

:) Glad you didn't change sghetrick, we will be with you on the 15th. Won't be long now.

Take care,

I was wondering why a cabin number had not been assigned yet. I booked a Cat N GTD 8 days ago through an online agency with no agent contact for a a decent last minute rate. Immediately filled out Immigration info. At that time, about 4PM on a Sunday afternoon, there were only 9 cabins left-5 L, 3 MM. and 1 M. 24 hours later, there was nothing left. I want no offers, I want to go ! Thanks for the info.

You may not know your cabin until you check in at the pier. Sometimes a number will show up a few days before sailing ... but sometimes not. They may need to leave things "open" until the last minute to maintain flexibility in assigning cabins.

My fiancee and I are booked on that cruise as well. We have our documents and a cabin assigned, we haven't gotten anything from our TA. (I booked through Expedia). I had no idea the ship was full.

Almost all of the cruises are sailing full (or close to it) these days.

Archived