Sazerac

PurdueChefAmber

"True", or traditional absinthe with thujone is illegal to sell in the US. The absinthe you find in liquor stores is from wormwood but considered "thujone free" and thus permitted for sale. You only use it to rinse out the glass, so if the Alchemy has absinthe and bitters, they can make a sazerac.

Would the Absinthe from Europe contain thujone. I brought back a few bottles from Paris last year.

Yes, but I think it's only about 6mg/kg (max limit is 10mg/kg). So you'd have to consume about 3 liters of absinthe at one sitting to get any hallucinogenic effects. And you'd probably be close to dead from alcohol poisoning before you finished that much.

I think the recommended dilution is 5:1 water to absinthe for drinking with a sugar cube. Absinthe in the glass and pout water over the cube sitting in a slotted spoon.

Edited by crewsweeper

When I did the mixology class on the Triumph recently, Tijana said they use Ouzo in place of Absinthe.

Then it's not a Sazerac (or even close). The bar should have bitters. And you can get an airline sized small bottle of absinthe for about $10 at Bev Mo. Since, the drink only requires the one tsp. glass coat (if bartender won't comply, just add the tsp once it's served), it should last for a week of Sazeracs. Now, if the bar has Templeton Rye, you'll be in great shape!

Thx CrewSweeper!

Was the Absinthe of years past Europe that much more potent with the hallucinogenic effects?

MarcelLucSell...No idea. Never touched the stuff back in the days when I was in Europe. Ouzo and Pernod were bad enough. But I'd guess probably no more than your DayQuil:D. Get better soon.

MarcelLucSell...No idea. Never touched the stuff back in the days when I was in Europe.
Yes, but I think it's only about 6mg/kg (max limit is 10mg/kg). So you'd have to consume about 3 liters of absinthe at one sitting to get any hallucinogenic effects.

I tried the real absinthe in Israel about 10 years ago. They got worse things to worry about than hallucinogenic drinks, so it's unregulated there. I drank about 3 shots of the stuff. Wow!!! I had so much fun that night! Me and my friends went to a dance club after drinking absinthe. I felt like I was understanding every word of the songs playing, even though I could barely string a sentence together in Hebrew. A lot, but not all, Israelis speak some level of English, so I was OK.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I tried the real absinthe in Israel about 10 years ago. They got worse things to worry about than hallucinogenic drinks, so it's unregulated there. I drank about 3 shots of the stuff. Wow!!! I had so much fun that night! Me and my friends went to a dance club after drinking absinthe. I felt like I was understanding every word of the songs playing, even though I could barely string a sentence together in Hebrew. A lot, but not all, Israelis speak some level of English, so I was OK.

I felt the same way "tripping" around Athens in the early 70s; like I understood the entire Iliad and all of Aristotle. ;) But it did help one darn bit a few years later on the polysci compare and contrast Plato and Ibn Khaldoun final essay question:mad:

I felt the same way "tripping" around Athens in the early 70s; like I understood the entire Iliad and all of Aristotle. ;) But it did help one darn bit a few years later on the polysci compare and contrast Plato and Ibn Khaldoun final essay question:mad:
I went to Israel in 2006. I think some of it has to do with what I was doing while drunk on absinthe: dancing with Israeli girls, who are incredibly attractive. I was in my early 20's, and so were they. 'Nuff said :D. I guess music---and dancing is a form of music---really is a universal language. Plus, me being American with Bush as president at the time (he supported Israel) probably worked in my favor. Edited by LandlockedCruiser01